Bridal Shower/Wedding

How do you give?

• Gift at bridal shower; nothing at wedding.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gift/money at both bridal shower and wedding.

Votes: 40 90.9%
  • Gift/money at wedding only.

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters

harleygirl

Working for the weekend
RoseRed said:
I understand where you are coming from, I wouldn't want to be double-dinged either. I have never been in the position that I was invited to both. :shrug:
If it is someone close, I do not mind. My father is gettting married Saturday, and future step-mom's friends gave her a shower two weeks ago. Sis and I were at the beach, but we sent flowers to the party for the table, and sent a gift certificate for her to have a pedicure. For the wedding a I bought them a clock and bottle of champagne. When my niece got married in Vegas in May, she had a backyard evening party for friends/family that did not see her get married. She told everyone no gifts, but everyone brought them anyway.

LordStanley

I know nothing
The gifts at the shower should be for the bride only.... adult toys, sexy Lingerie, tons of crap from bath and body works, alcohol, how to be a good wife book, jewlery.....

The wedding gifts are for both or for the house....

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
LordStanley said:
The gifts at the shower should be for the bride only.... adult toys, sexy Lingerie, tons of crap from bath and body works, alcohol, how to be a good wife book, jewlery.....
I'm sorry, but I don't want anyone other than me (or my hubby) purchasing lingerie and adult toys. :coffee:

LordStanley

I know nothing
Oh and if your invited to both, you should have a present for both. Unless your a cheap friend, then you bring nothing and enjoy the free drinks and food at others expenses.

I say gifts for both. The idea of a shower is the bride is 'showered' with gifts.

Then again, I had relatives that didn't give me a gift for either. :lol:

tastycakes

I've always gave a gift from the registry (love these; makes gift selection much easier) and money for the wedding. If an engagement party also took place, I shop from the registry for that too. Not sure of the etiquette for down here, but for the wedding I give money and always tried to cover the cost of plate (where I'm orig. from would make a gift about 200-300). If your not invited to the shower, I'd save the money then and send no gift. If you only get invited to the shower and no wedding invite- sending NOTHING. That is just tacky IMO.

Last edited:

LordStanley

I know nothing
Chasey_Lane said:
I'm sorry, but I don't want anyone other than me (or my hubby) purchasing lingerie and adult toys. :coffee:

Well If I knew you better, my comeback to that would be.....

I guess I know what not to get your for christmas this year.
(if your jewish, subsitute christmas for hannaka)
(if you dont celebrate any winter holiday, then thats one less gift I have to get)

:killingme .... sorry I have to laught at myself

tastycakes said:
The cost of a wedding is around $30,000 - $60,000 depending on the place. My wedding cost around the 30 range.
Again... that seems excessive...:shrug: Especially for a couple just starting out.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
tastycakes said:
The cost of a wedding is around $30,000 - $60,000 depending on the place. My wedding cost around the 30 range.
Where the hell are you from anyway? That is a crapload of money for a wedding.

Signed,
:nomoney:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
tastycakes said:
I didn't even pay that much for my car. :killingme

tastycakes

kwillia said:
Again... that seems excessive...:shrug: Especially for a couple just starting out.
My now husband was on your side that is why we stayed on the lower end. One of my close friends on the other hand, had all the bells and whistles so she spent around 65,000. She even had a party bus for close friends and the bridal party so that no one had to drive.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
LordStanley said:
Well If I knew you better, my comeback to that would be.....

I guess I know what not to get your for christmas this year.
(if your jewish, subsitute christmas for hannaka)
(if you dont celebrate any winter holiday, then thats one less gift I have to get)

:killingme .... sorry I have to laught at myself

You forgot Peetza.

tastycakes said:
My now husband was on your side that is why we stayed on the lower end. One of my close friends on the other hand, had all the bells and whistles so she spent around 65,000. She even had a party bus for close friends and the bridal party so that no one had to drive.
Each to their own, but IMO it's excessive and not necessary. I consider one's wedding day to be an opportunity to have one's friends and family stop what they are doing to acknowledge the love and commitment of the marrying couple. I don't think it should be a day based on materialistic values and braggin' rights...:shrug:

CityGrl

Time for a nap
Chasey_Lane said:
Please explain your reasoning.

If I'm invited to a shower, I bring a "smaller" gift, sometimes just something for the bride.

Then I bring a "bigger" gift to the wedding (something off their registry, etc.) or I write a check. I have two weddings coming up in NYC, and up there, they usually bring a gift to the shower and a big check to the wedding.