Bridal Shower/Wedding

How do you give?

• Gift at bridal shower; nothing at wedding.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gift/money at both bridal shower and wedding.

Votes: 40 90.9%
  • Gift/money at wedding only.

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
tastycakes said:
My now husband was on your side that is why we stayed on the lower end. One of my close friends on the other hand, had all the bells and whistles so she spent around 65,000. She even had a party bus for close friends and the bridal party so that no one had to drive.

Again, that's insane. My husband and I paid for the whole wedding ourselves (including my gown). I can't believe people pay that much for a one day event.

tastycakes

Nickel said:
I didn't even pay that much for my car. :killingme
Had very generous friends and family so we made it all back in gifts from the wedding. Sounds crazy I'm sure, but that is just the norm there.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Here's my take...

If you are close and are attending both - the bridal shower and wedding as a guest, then both would be a good idea - or a combined gift, if it is a substantial one, and you should be able to convey that to your friend...

If you are close and are attending the shower and are in the wedding, then you should not only be helping to give what they need to start a life, but of yourself to make it go smoothly....

Come to think of it, I had three showers... One at college - my girlfriends held one for me there... Another at home, with family... And yet another in the home state of my ex-husband where women friends of his family threw the old-fashioned "starter" shower - with kitchen utensils, baking items, etc..

:lol: (I did not know a single one at the third, but it was a small town and they felt it was their duty to set me up proper)

tastycakes

Speedy70 said:
Again, that's insane. My husband and I paid for the whole wedding ourselves (including my gown). I can't believe people pay that much for a one day event.
I can say that my husband and I paid for our wedding. The only thing that someone else paid for was the flowers (my Mom wanted to do that).

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
virgovictoria said:
If you are close and are attending the shower and are in the wedding, then you should not only be helping to give what they need to start a life, but of yourself to make it go smoothly....
Typically, the bridal party will pay for their own dress, shoes, accessories, etc. On average I'd say the cost is roughly $200 per person. Not to mention a gift/money for the new couple starting out. I think that's plenty to get them on their way.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
tastycakes said:
I can say that my husband and I paid for our wedding. The only thing that someone else paid for was the flowers (my Mom wanted to do that).
My husband and I paid for our wedding too, but we weren't $30k poorer after having done so. :lol:

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Chasey_Lane said:
Typically, the bridal party will pay for their own dress, shoes, accessories, etc. On average I'd say the cost is roughly $200 per person. Not to mention a gift/money for the new couple starting out. I think that's plenty to get them on their way.
didn't say that it wasn't... giving of themselves is the gift is more of the point I was trying to make... apparently, a point not so well made :ohwell:

Nickel said:
My husband and I paid for our wedding too, but we weren't $30k poorer after having done so. :lol:

Seriously! My husband would have had a heart attack if I told him we needed that much for our wedding.

harleygirl

Working for the weekend
Chasey_Lane said:
Yep, leaving Monday 08/14. FYI, Elvis is NOT officiating. :lol:
Congrats, Chasey!! I must say my niece's wedding out there was beautiful. Chapel was very elegant, and the minister that did the ceremony brought tears to my eyes. It was better than any "church" wedding I have attended.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
harleygirl said:
Congrats, Chasey!! I must say my niece's wedding out there was beautiful. Chapel was very elegant, and the minister that did the ceremony brought tears to my eyes. It was better than any "church" wedding I have attended.
No chapel; we'll be outside. :smile:

Trunk Monkey

Defender of the Blonde
Chasey_Lane said:
Yep, leaving Monday 08/14. FYI, Elvis is NOT officiating. :lol:
I picked my robe up from the cleaners, I almost have the vows completed and I am flattered you asked me to perform your ceremony. I don't mind officiating but I am NOT flying to Vegas in the cargo hold with stupid dogs. You have to spring for the ticket.

tastycakes

kwillia said:
Each to their own, but IMO it's excessive and not necessary. I consider one's wedding day to be an opportunity to have one's friends and family stop what they are doing to acknowledge the love and commitment of the marrying couple. I don't think it should be a day based on materialistic values and braggin' rights...:shrug:
This is just the norm there. Has nothing to do with bragging rights. Honestly, the one thing that had bragging rights to it was who came up with the best favor. This was also usually the cheapest cost of the whole event. It's all done in just having a great time.

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
workin hard said:
Usually a gift at the bridal shower (something off a registry) and then I always give money at the wedding.

See, I was always under the impression that bridal showers were more personal. Meaning...all the girls would get together and buy stupid gag gifts or lingerie, etc. At least that's what I've always been accustomed to. However, since I've lived here I've been to two showers and at both I was told to purchase something from the registry for the shower AND the wedding.