Brown Recluse?

atrusomder

Isaiah 55:8-9
Has anyone had any around their home? I killed one last week because it had a fiddle shape on it. Last night while letting the dogs out, I saw this lil lady and I said,,, Oh Hell NO!!!

Do you think she's a recluse? If not, what kind is it? Dangerous or not?

Attachments

• photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 527
  • scary.jpg
    scary.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 320
Has anyone had any around their home? I killed one last week because it had a fiddle shape on it. Last night while letting the dogs out, I saw this lil lady and I said,,, Oh Hell NO!!!

avatar29956_50.gif IT IS A MONSTER SERIAL KILLER SPIDER!!!! I HAVE HAD THEM IN MY HOUSE! avatar29956_50.gif THEY ARE ALMOST THE SIZE OF A ####ING CRAB! :cds:

ZARA

No, not a recluse. That was a large pregnant wolf spider. Completely harmless.

Bay_Kat

Tropical

I've always heard the brown recluse is also known as a fiddle back because they have a mark on the back shaped like a fiddle. Are these two different spiders? I hate spiders and I never want to get close enough to one to see the mark on the back.

ZARA

View attachment 95260 IT IS A MONSTER SERIAL KILLER SPIDER!!!! I HAVE HAD THEM IN MY HOUSE! View attachment 95260 THEY ARE ALMOST THE SIZE OF A ####ING CRAB! :cds:

View attachment 95260

LOL You would have had a heart attack then if you had seen the one that got itself trapped in the chlorine tab bucket at my house. It scared the crap out of me when I went to pick out the tabs for the pool. Damn thing was as big as the palm of my hand, bout 4 inches in diameter.

Hubs called me effing nuts because I let it go.

LOL You would have had a heart attack then if you had seen the one that got itself trapped in the chlorine tab bucket at my house. It scared the crap out of me when I went to pick out the tabs for the pool. Damn thing was as big as the palm of my hand, bout 4 inches in diameter.

Crazy bitch. :coffee:

ZARA

I've always heard the brown recluse is also known as a fiddle back because they have a mark on the back shaped like a fiddle. Are these two different spiders? I hate spiders and I never want to get close enough to one to see the mark on the back.

I have heard the "fiddle" comment too but I don't SEE it. On the website I linked it reads
Picture of a brown recluse spider. Note the violin pattern on the cephalothorax and light-colored hairless abdomen

and I still can't SEE it. Maybe it's because I am colorblind?

I am scared to death of spiders and because of that I make sure I can identify most of them, it helps me from freaking out like a 2 year old.

So remember this concerning spiders- Hairy spider is a good spider.

The only venomous spider listed in Maryland is the black widow. Although I have seen conflicting reports (none that look verifiable) concerning recluses. Even so, recluses are not hairy.

Bay_Kat

Tropical

I would have let it go too, spiders eat other bugs, some of those bugs are more of a problem than the spiders that eat them. I have seen lots of black widows in my garage, haven't lately, but I know they are there and figure if I don't mess with them, they won't mess with me.

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
I would have let it go too, spiders eat other bugs, some of those bugs are more of a problem than the spiders that eat them. I have seen lots of black widows in my garage, haven't lately, but I know they are there and figure if I don't mess with them, they won't mess with me.

The texas jumping spider will jump on you from up to 6 feet away. In maryland the like to hide ontop of cabnets and other high spots, then leap on their prey as they walk by. I dont know if you have any down your way.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
The texas jumping spider will jump on you from up to 6 feet away. In maryland the like to hide ontop of cabnets and other high spots, then leap on their prey as they walk by. I dont know if you have any down your way.

Never heard of that one, but with 3 cats roaming the house, it's pretty much spider free inside. (at least I hope so)

MadDogMarine

I have heard the "fiddle" comment too but I don't SEE it. On the website I linked it reads

and I still can't SEE it. Maybe it's because I am colorblind?

I am scared to death of spiders and because of that I make sure I can identify most of them, it helps me from freaking out like a 2 year old.

So remember this concerning spiders- Hairy spider is a good spider.

The only venomous spider listed in Maryland is the black widow. Although I have seen conflicting reports (none that look verifiable) concerning recluses. Even so, recluses are not hairy.

Here is a clearer picture. I think it looks more like a coffee bean than a fiddle!
or a fiddle resting on a coffee bean.

Attachments

• brown recluse.jpg
    brown recluse.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 156

ZARA

I let most go. Unless they are in my house and move faster than I can catch them..then they get the SQUISH and I say a prayer for them as I send them off to the next world.
Black widows - Any and all MUST die. Fear + venomous = One Irish Lass that don’t play. I will use whatever is within my reach that is at least three feet long, an aerosol can of bug killer, a Louisville slugger will suffice, but preferably my husband with me nowhere in sight.

https://insects.tamu.edu/extension/publications/epubs/e-408.cfm

True story. These little guys are funny when they jump on spouses. Then you get the joy of watching the spouse jump 6 feet away!! I have never witnessed one jump 6 feet but I have witnessed my hubs jump 6 feet after a surprise attack. (They are also harmless)

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I didnt think the brown recluse was native to maryland but I could be wrong.

I know a local and their home appears to be infested with them. Pest folks came out and verified it's a Brown Recluse! EWWWW. They can't seem to get rid of them.