Bye Bye

Otter

Nothing to see here
WASHINGTON (AP) - Washington Redskins coach Joe Gibbs resigned as coach and team president of the Washington Redskins on Tuesday, the Associated Press has learned.

A person familiar with Gibbs' decision, speaking on condition of anonymity because the news had not been officially announced, said Gibbs would make his resignation known later Tuesday morning and would discuss it at 3 p.m. news conference.

The official said the Redskins would begin a search for a new coach immediately. Among the certain candidates are two former head coaches on Gibbs' staff, Gregg Williams and Al Saunders.

Gibbs went 31-36, including 1-2 in the playoffs, after emerging from NFL retirement and his NASCAR career to sign a five-year, $27.5 million contract in 2004. He had always maintained that he intended to fulfill the contract, but the 67-year-old coach wavered from that stance Monday when asked if he would return for the final year of his deal.

Gibbs' resignation brings an apparent end to a Hall of Fame career in which he twice raised the Redskins from mediocrity into a playoff team, although he failed in his goal of bringing the team back to the Super Bowl during his second stint in Washington. Gibbs won three NFL titles during his first tenure from 1981-92; the second time around he took the team to the postseason in two of his four seasons.

mainman

Set Trippin
WASHINGTON (AP) - Washington Redskins coach Joe Gibbs resigned as coach and team president of the Washington Redskins on Tuesday, the Associated Press has learned.

A person familiar with Gibbs' decision, speaking on condition of anonymity because the news had not been officially announced, said Gibbs would make his resignation known later Tuesday morning and would discuss it at 3 p.m. news conference.

The official said the Redskins would begin a search for a new coach immediately. Among the certain candidates are two former head coaches on Gibbs' staff, Gregg Williams and Al Saunders.

Gibbs went 31-36, including 1-2 in the playoffs, after emerging from NFL retirement and his NASCAR career to sign a five-year, $27.5 million contract in 2004. He had always maintained that he intended to fulfill the contract, but the 67-year-old coach wavered from that stance Monday when asked if he would return for the final year of his deal.

Gibbs' resignation brings an apparent end to a Hall of Fame career in which he twice raised the Redskins from mediocrity into a playoff team, although he failed in his goal of bringing the team back to the Super Bowl during his second stint in Washington. Gibbs won three NFL titles during his first tenure from 1981-92; the second time around he took the team to the postseason in two of his four seasons.
If you were going with one of the 2...

Williams? or Saunders? I have always been defense oriented myself....

Otter

Nothing to see here
Williams..still think one of the reasons he came to the skins,besides the money, was that he was told he would take over when Gibbs left.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Williams..still think one of the reasons he came to the skins,besides the money, was that he was told he would take over when Gibbs left.

Ugh...one of my attorneys just came up to me and laughed.."you will love Cowher."

:barf:

donbarzini

If you were going with one of the 2...

Williams? or Saunders? I have always been defense oriented myself....

If I HAD to pick one it would be Williams. But my first choice would be someone who would be no-nonsense and make the players accountable. And given what's out there, I would take a long, hard look at Russ Grimm.

D

dems4me

If I HAD to pick one it would be Williams. But my first choice would be someone who would be no-nonsense and make the players accountable. And given what's out there, I would take a long, hard look at Russ Grimm.

If this was a fantasy coach thing, I'd want Sonny, Sam or Riggins :lol:

latinamomma

Transam's wife

Well, I am not really surprised. I feel for all you Redskins fans, but me being a TONY fan, I will have to say :yahoo:
He can now focus on NASCAR!!!!:yahoo::yahoo::pete:

mainman

Set Trippin
Doesn't Williams contract stipulate that if he is NOT made coach after Gibbs leaves he is to be paid some astromical amount of money? Like Ott touched on before, I think GW is almost guaranteed the job...

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Doesn't Williams contract stipulate that if he is NOT made coach after Gibbs leaves he is to be paid some astromical amount of money? Like Ott touched on before, I think GW is almost guaranteed the job...

$1 million buyout if he's not made the head coach. But that's pocket change to the Dan.