CAI (Cold Air Intake) - YES or NO?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Well, an engines an air pump, so to get real gains, you generally need to widen the airways all the way, front (intake) to back (tailpipes)

the idea behind cooler is that the cooler the fuel, the higher the density and a more complete burn.

You have to start somewhere .... and you could do it piece meal ...

is this s 4.0 I6 model ? or something newer ?

I assembled a motor for a friend of mine

Stock 2000 4.0 low mileage junk yard replacement motor w/Girdle

replaced the 0331 head with a 7120,
Bored Out the Throttle Assembly,
Tri-Y Header - replaced the stock cracked unit
Cat Back Exhaust - already in place from the PO
replaced the CAT with a High Flow Unit

the 99 and Newer Intake ...

a Crower 'Baja Beast' - Level 1 or 2 I cannot remember ...

Make sure it won't suck up any water

Liquid water, yeah. But higher volumes of water vapor increases the compression ratio in the cylinders while cooling the fuel.

Used to be able to buy water injectors to do that, but I think they were more hokum than anything else.

glhs837

Power with Control
Liquid water, yeah. But higher volumes of water vapor increases the compression ratio in the cylinders while cooling the fuel.

Used to be able to buy water injectors to do that, but I think they were more hokum than anything else.

For normally aspirated vehicles, thats true, there's not enough temp/density change in the water to make any real difference. If you have a turbo/supercharged engine, though, and control of your fuel and timing, there are great gains to be had. Especially when you play with methanol/alcohol mixes.

Cooling that intake charge in conjunction with the effective octane boost makes for some serious gains, but you do have to be very careful and add safeties to drop the boost in case of failure in the injection system.

Aquamist in the UK is the biggest and best know name in the game, but there are smaller players like Snows and CoolingMist and Devils Own. Link below has a good primer video.

AEM Water/Methanol Systems for Gasoline Engines - Water/Meth Kits - Wideband O2 UEGO, Water/Methanol, Stand Alone Engine Management, Piggyback F/IC, Tru Boost Controller, Gauges, Automotive Performance Electronics

the SRT -4 crowd had great success using water/methanol injection to safely operate the engine in High Octane Mode that is supposed to require $7 dollar a gallon 100 octane racing fuel using this method.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

Saw a guy with a low CAI drive through a puddle at work.

Instant destruction

DEEKAYPEE8569

Attachments

• Typhoon Series Intake.gif
    Typhoon Series Intake.gif
    11.8 KB · Views: 62

glhs837

Power with Control
One of these.....right?

Well, depends on where that filter iece ends up. If it's in about the same location your stock filter was, you should be okay. See, a lot of cars position the intake of airbox over the fender or right behind the radiator, depends on underhood airflow.

A lot of CAI kits for cars with fender intake points, the kit will actually repipe the filter down into the fender area itself, like this civic kit......

http://cms.skunk2.com/photo/g-792-f4b4622e8fa4fc30beeee30041fbc889d9ac2d06.jpg

Bottom feeder intakes for the Stang were popular, and for cars never driven in rain, are fine......

http://www.jlttruecoldair.com/gallery/pictures/CAI - in fender.jpg

But systems like this are asking for disaster. OEM engineers do lots of testing through very deep water with the stock system. But aftermarket guys, they most likely don't have three feet deep test pits around.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Saw a guy with a low CAI drive through a puddle at work.

Instant destruction

Having just now realized; below the airbox is sealed off with plastic panels designed for airflow under the car, vice UP through the engine compartment.
That being said, I wonder if what you describe would happen if I put one-a-deez on my ride. Kind of a costly gamble though. Hmmm.....

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Make sure it won't suck up any water

Waaayyyy back in the 1990's I drove a 1980 Chevy Chevette ....

I was driving on Sharpers-ville rd one rainy night coming out of Waldorf headed back to Piscataway ...
[yes that road used to go through]

if you are familiar with that area, you know the road would flood out in a really good thunder storm. so here I am creeping along, through the very deep water [it was up to the bumper], and I drove off the side of the road onto the shoulder ... it was enough of a drop and deep enough at that point to submerge the intake, behind the right head light ....

yep hydro-locked the motor :shocking: water does not compress ...

had the car towed home, pulled the spark plugs, cranked motor over ensuring the cylinders were clear of water. changed the oil [it looked like Milk Chocolate] and filter, installed fresh plugs ... the car fired right up ... drove another 9 months on that motor until I spun the # 2 ROD Bering @ 235,000 miles

:popcorn:

_MightyMouse_

_USMCScoutSwimmer_
Here's mine with a Roush exhaust and 93 race tune. You'll love it sucking that air Ant

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

DEEKAYPEE8569

Well, that model is the "Typhoon Series". A little standing water shouldn't bother it...

If the presence of splash panels exists under the motor and inside the fenders; which I'm pretty sure they do; I would think that water fouling the filter would not be TOO much of an issue. Yup gonna get one.....eventually.

glhs837

Power with Control
I've read a lot recently saying a CAI does NOTHING for a Wrangler... :ohwell:

By itself, most likely not, or not enough to make a difference. Adding a few angels more or less, to the head of the pin, not a difference. Only real gains are most likely only seen when you open up other parts of the airflow path through the engine.

DEEKAYPEE8569

By itself, most likely not, or not enough to make a difference. Adding a few angels more or less, to the head of the pin, not a difference. Only real gains are most likely only seen when you open up other parts of the airflow path through the engine.

Like adding a throttle body as big around as a beer can?
Hey :shrug: Why not?

warneckutz

That's what a Jeep tech was just telling me. He said no point in just exhaust or just CAI if you want some sort of performance.

He was telling me to go for Volant over Gale Banks for a CAI, something about grabbing more outside air VS the inside engine air (which is 30 degrees hotter)

Lamini

Intake upgrades dont give you horsepower. Since there is a larger volume of air coming in, you will see slight (if you can even tell) decrease in time during accelleration.

A dyno paints a picture of this.