Calvert Cliffs homes threatened by erosion

jenbengen

Watch it
At risk of sounding insensitive- I'm not a big fan of having to fork out more insurance money to pay for all the people who take risks building their homes on cliffs and right on beaches that see hurricanes quite often. Seriously, it's a risk you take and it comes with an unfortunate price for them. I'm sorry they're homes are falling into the sea but it's mother nature and forking over millions to rebuild cliffs for their homes seems unfair.

Homes in CRE overlooking Calvert Cliffs are badly threatened by encroaching erosion of the cliffs --- but authorities want to let the erosion continue, in order to save the habitat of a rare beetle, says this article today:

washingtonpost.com

johnycarcinogen

the other side fo this issue is that any repairs that are made will undoubtedly destory the current beach which is used/owned by the whole community. the people whose houses are falling into the bay do not own the shoreline and therefore any decisions should take into consderation the good of the entire community. These folsk are talking about making changes that will make the beach unusable.

The shoreline is owned by the entire population of MD.

glhs837

Power with Control
from seeing the last approved and implemented repairs and hearing what the "plan" the homeowners have is.....

So, you saw the repairs, and they have already had a negative impact? and you know the two things are connected? About the plan, do you know what you heard is both real, and will have the effects you say? My point is that its easy to go all Henny Penny on it, but if you want company, you need facts that can be verified beyond "I just know".

And about spending money to stop a natural process, we do that all the time folks, we spend billions remediating beaches and more managing water ways.

friendtofishes

I live in CRE. I don't want to pay to have repairs done to a cliff that houses shouldn't have been built on in the first place. Those people bought the houses, let them pay for it.

johnycarcinogen

So, you saw the repairs, and they have already had a negative impact? and you know the two things are connected? About the plan, do you know what you heard is both real, and will have the effects you say? My point is that its easy to go all Henny Penny on it, but if you want company, you need facts that can be verified beyond "I just know".

And about spending money to stop a natural process, we do that all the time folks, we spend billions remediating beaches and more managing water ways.

Did you read the article? Tony Vajda admits that his reefballs failed.

They can put in stone at the base of the cliff but the cliffs will just fall right on top of and past that.

What these people can't seem to get through their minds is that the cliffs are made of sand down at CRE, much much more sand than clay.
Add septic tanks and ground water and you have major stability issues. You can go out on a boat and look at the cliffs and see where the clay and sand meet. The cliffs are soaked at that junction year round, even in a summer drought. Unless you shore up the sand...shoring up the base will do nothing! The area where that hottub fell over has the reefballs. They helped add sand back to the beach...then the way the cliffs eroded changed. Instead of verticle erosion the cliffs slope backwards towards the houses. In fact adding any type of revetment at the base will actually speed up the loss of houses. The proposed measures suggested in 2005 would actually help some. Go look at Western Shores, Scientists Cliffs, they have had these in place for years and it is helping some, vegetation has been able to take hold on the cliff face and help slow erosion.

Baywatchv8

thats funny because the dog park at driftwood beach is open to the cliff area and you can walk the shoreline all the way to seahorse beach if you want. there is realitively little danger if you dont go climbin gon the cliffs.
And the ranch club owns the beach. it is part of our common property.

So what do you say if another person is killed like this girl was?

"Residents of Chesapeake Ranch Estates, which has some prime real estate offering picturesque views of the bay, no longer visit the slim beaches beneath the cliffs because a 12-year-old girl was killed by a landslide in 1996."

Section of Calvert Cliffs Collapses and Kills Girl; 12-Year-Old Buried During Walk With Family

Last edited:

johnycarcinogen

thats funny because the dog park at driftwood beach is open to the cliff area and you can walk the shoreline all the way to seahorse beach if you want. there is realitively little danger if you dont go climbin gon the cliffs.
And the ranch club owns the beach. it is part of our common property.

Actually it is really dangerous to walk along those cliffs. The dog park is meant to only go to where the old chain link fence was (stopped before the cliffs). If you didn't notice the cliffs can fall up to 100 feet away from the cliff face. This is dangerous because it happens so quickly you will not have time to get out of the way. That being said...if you do decide to walk the beach and the cliffs begin to fall...run into the water not parallel to the cliffs.

thatguy

Actually it is really dangerous to walk along those cliffs. The dog park is meant to only go to where the old chain link fence was (stopped before the cliffs). If you didn't notice the cliffs can fall up to 100 feet away from the cliff face. This is dangerous because it happens so quickly you will not have time to get out of the way. That being said...if you do decide to walk the beach and the cliffs begin to fall...run into the water not parallel to the cliffs.

you dont have to tell me, i grew up around here and spent many summers walking the various beaches.
its really not that dangerous though. you just have to respect it. if the CRE was in charge of the world the oceans would be fenced off because people drown in them every year :gasp: