Calvert Co bus driver sick-out

black dog

Free America
I'm not a bus driver - I don't have the ins and outs to all the questions - just passing on the information that I have read online on the various Facebook posts that are out there.

There's at least one FB page that is discussing it if anyone is interested in following it.

My mistake, Sorry I engaged in conversation on a forum....

PeoplesElbow

Always thought it was weird that the busses are not owned by the BOE and the drivers are not BOE employees since I moved here. Back home they are and less money per student is spent overall.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Always thought it was weird that the busses are not owned by the BOE and the drivers are not BOE employees since I moved here. Back home they are and less money per student is spent overall.
A driver on the radio this morning said that the bus assistants (?) that ride the special needs buses are BOE employees and are paid the same rate as drivers.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
A driver on the radio this morning said that the bus assistants (?) that ride the special needs buses are BOE employees and are paid the same rate as drivers.
:yay: I heard part of that on T-bone & Heather this morning. I missed part so I wasn't sure they were all paid that or just that one was.

That one driver was getting $23.something an hr but had been doing it 31 years.

(FTR, you couldn't pay me enough money to drive a school bus!)

Bann

PREMO Member
My mistake, Sorry I engaged in conversation on a forum....
🙄
I was simply saying I don't know all the issues and answers in this whole debacle. I only offered what I've been hearing from the sources I follow.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

So talking out of your ass. Again. Baby shirts? Diapers? Posing?

No, you didn't say "strike". You said "shut down the delivery system for a week or more". You know, what normal people would call a "strike".
Ever heard of sarcasm? I was euphemistically describing the cry baby teachers when they were demanding more money. Don't you remember? The teachers were every where they could be seen protesting. And remember the work-to-rule stance? Shiiiiit. Teachers are the most cry baby whiners out there.

Shutting down for a week or more, is not a strike. A strike pretty much requires employees picketing, rabble rousing, people with lots of signs at intersections, etc.. I'm not talking about the drivers here. I'm talking about the owners of the bus companies shutting down for a week or so. That would send one powerful message.

I know. Here's how the commissioners can spend more money and fix the problem. Instead of the vacant land that is supposed to be an addition to Cove Point Park, turn it into a depot for school bus maintenance, storage, and parking, for the yet to be purchased brand new school buses for the yet to be county hired school bus drivers? Whoo hooo. It's a win-win. Doesn't even have to be part of the school system. We'll just put them under our transportation dept. Think of all the money that could be saved rather than bidding out, (to the few in county companies that always get the contract anyway), school bus services. We'll just keep everything in house and save.

Bann

PREMO Member
The BOE over here in CC is certainly doing anything they can to EFF up everything. The bus drivers do have some legitimate concerns.

Dr. Curry and the Board need to be challenged and reigned in and also reminded that they work for the citizens in this county.

The CC Republican party is looking for another candidate to run for the Board. Contact the CC Central Committee if anyone is interested.

Grumpy

I know. Here's how the commissioners can spend more money and fix the problem. Instead of the vacant land that is supposed to be an addition to Cove Point Park, turn it into a depot for school bus maintenance, storage, and parking, for the yet to be purchased brand new school buses for the yet to be county hired school bus drivers? Whoo hooo. It's a win-win. Doesn't even have to be part of the school system. We'll just put them under our transportation dept. Think of all the money that could be saved rather than bidding out, (to the few in county companies that always get the contract anyway), school bus services. We'll just keep everything in house and save.
Sorry, you get the govt involved in anything, it will cost more in the long run.

black dog

Free America
I see it as the difference between me owning my own car vs using uber for everything.

So instead of the taxpayer writing a check to cover the total cost of the buses, the taxpayer has to pay for new buses, storage, fuel, maintenance, insurance, along with all the employees that go along with the buses and related needs like office staff and support. All the things that go along with having employees, health care, retirement 401's and pensions, workers comp and a mass of other costs.
Im sure its cheaper and more efficient to use contractors...

I look at it as, why would I buy a water jet saw to cut metal when I can pay the man down the road a buck a foot to do it for me. You cant beat a man at his own game...

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

So instead of the taxpayer writing a check to cover the total cost of the buses, the taxpayer has to pay for new buses, storage, fuel, maintenance, insurance, along with all the employees that go along with the buses and related needs like office staff and support. All the things that go along with having employees, health care, retirement 401's and pensions, workers comp and a mass of other costs. Im sure its cheaper and more efficient to use contractors...
Well, think about it. Outside of health care, retirement 401's and pensions, they are already paying for everything already through the contract price. If it was all done in house, the county would have huge bargaining power with bus suppliers and for replacement and serviceable parts, plus a huge discount on vehicle insurance. Hire a fleet manager to take of the school bus operations, etc.

black dog

Free America
If I may ...

Well, think about it. Outside of health care, retirement 401's and pensions, they are already paying for everything already through the contract price. If it was all done in house, the county would have huge bargaining power with bus suppliers and for replacement and serviceable parts, plus a huge discount on vehicle insurance. Hire a fleet manager to take of the school bus operations, etc.

Name one government run dept or program that saves the taxpayer money over a private company doing it?

I bet you look at the true numbers for paying for everything inhouse it will cost loads more.
Plus once each contract is over the checks stop, checks dont stop when employee that has a retirement package retires.

PeoplesElbow

Name one government run dept or program that saves the taxpayer money over a private company doing it?

I bet you look at the true numbers for paying for everything inhouse it will cost loads more.
Plus once each contract is over the checks stop, checks dont stop when employee that has a retirement package retires.
Well as I said the cost per student here is less than in MD and they own the buses, the depot and the drivers are employees. Contracting it out makes sense if it's something you dont need full time, like calling a plumber vs having one on staff all the time.

black dog

Free America
If I may ...

We can use this simple fact on what it costs when the government runs a program.
Calvert County Public Schools spends $15,440 per student each year. It has an annual revenue of $251,983,000.

The average private school tuition in Maryland is $13,328 per year (2021-22)

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

We can use this simple fact on what it costs when the government runs a program.
Calvert County Public Schools spends $15,440 per student each year. It has an annual revenue of $251,983,000.

The average private school tuition in Maryland is $13,328 per year (2021-22)
I understand. But a lot of that is also debt for new school construction and the new curriculum of CRT and rainbow acceptance indoctrination.
Half kidding. But if the school bus system is placed under county ownership and control, there could be some savings somewhere. And during the off months, all the required maintenance could be performed.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB

It's easier if you name the ones that costs more:

There, I'm done. If you don't think that loaded costs are built into the bids you need to rethink. Engineers working for a remote Beltway Bandit at PAX get waaaay more salary than the FedGov guy doing the same job at the next desk.

And contracts never end. The sewer system still needs maintained, the F35 still needs an upgrade, the toilets still need cleaned. Not to mention the profit for the company built into every contract.

If government contracted out every function you couldn't afford it.

Years ago we didn't have a certified water/sewer operator so it was contracted out, $150K/year (this was 20 years ago). Current that slot pays around $70K for an employee. That's just one example.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
If I may ...

I understand. But a lot of that is also debt for new school construction and the new curriculum of CRT and rainbow acceptance indoctrination.
Half kidding. But if the school bus system is placed under county ownership and control, there could be some savings somewhere. And during the off months, all the required maintenance could be performed.

There are two big drivers for increasing school costs: unfunded mandates and SPED. A single out of County residential placement can cost upwards of $300K/year. A one on one aide will be $40K. Not to mention now giving every student a computer and the additional labor and cost for the enhanced cleaning protocols.

Calvert is right in the middle at #13, and not much more than the lowest, Harford County. Worcester is the highest:
This is from 2019
Education Funding Per Student Charts for 2019 – Conduit Street (mdcounties.org)

Actually, school buses are the one place where it's cheaper for it to be contracted out.

PeoplesElbow

The one advantage contracting a full time position is that the cost is predictable, a set cost for a year. There are ways to make it more predictable, 401k instead of pension, provide an allotment for the employee to purchase health insurance on the marketplace, retirement age at 65 and no employer funded health insurance for retirees.

black dog

Free America
If I may ...
And during the off months, all the required maintenance could be performed.

So you've never had a fleet of diesel vehicles.....
You cant run equipment for 9 months and then catch up on maintenance...
Its never cheaper when the government runs it...