Center For Life Enrichment on 235 Is A School Zone?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Yeah that and I've seen some of the participants waiting for the STS bus and the confusion my son goes through after a seizure. It probably will never happen but you never know.
We had a Community Referenced Education program where I was and even there in a comprehensive high school we'd have roamers from it occasionally. Now there they were fairly easily contained (unless there was a moron teacher or other staff member who tried to get involved) but was still worrisome.

rio

CLE is one of those places that if you didn’t know it was there, you’d miss it totally. Most of it is obscured from the highway by a significant chunk of trees and then a parking lot - and on a busy day, you might not be aware anything was going on inside.

If LHS had a speed zone, it might be odd, because there’s little likelihood anyone from the school would be crossing Rte 5 for any reason. So they don’t. There is ZERO reason for anyone at CLE to ever be near 235. Like ever. I slow down when I pass Toots and Last Drop at night, not because there’s a law but because there’s a good chance an inebriated person is going to walk right in front of me.

I’m not going to have a problem speeding past CLE but you have to wonder why in this case.
The speed limit does lower to 45 in front of the LHS/LMS/Forrest center campus. And unless they've really cracked down in the last 4 years, another of students cross 5, especially right after school before going to after school activities. They go to the gas station across the street to get food.
Ots been 4 years since I've kids there, so as I said they may have cracked down since then.

SamSpade

The speed limit does lower to 45 in front of the LHS/LMS/Forrest center campus. And unless they've really cracked down in the last 4 years, another of students cross 5, especially right after school before going to after school activities. They go to the gas station across the street to get food.
Ots been 4 years since I've kids there, so as I said they may have cracked down since then.
It’s probably because I’ve just about never made it through that light. My son and two daughters go there - they told me they have NEVER gone across the street to that place. Not unless I was driving them before or after school.

To me it’s just weird that CLE is getting this. What was the urgency?

Reactions: rio

glhs837

Power with Control
I don't understand why it's so hard to just drive the speed limit. I do it all the time, so it's not like you have to have a PhD to master this task. If the sign says slow for school zone, how does it hurt you to slow down? Show me on the doll how it hurts you....
It's not about that. The county shouldn't be performing enforcement solely for revenue. If the govt is acting in a wrong manner, it shouldn't matter if you personally are wronged.

PeoplesElbow

It's not about that. The county shouldn't be performing enforcement solely for revenue. If the govt is acting in a wrong manner, it shouldn't matter if you personally are wronged.
I'm sure the revenue doesn't hurt, but do you have actual proof it is just for revenue more than a feeling?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The county shouldn't be performing enforcement solely for revenue.

You don't know that. For all you know one of the parents or caregivers thought there should be a sign, called up the Commissioners and said, "There oughta be a law" and the Commissioners said, "Hey, you're right" and voila! Sign.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I'm sure the revenue doesn't hurt, but do you have actual proof it is just for revenue more than a feeling?
When the elected officials start to complain in the drop in revenue from them, as they did in Chesapeake Beach several years ago, that's an indicator that it's revenue enhancer. Chesapeake Beach fixed the "problem" by putting up another one on Old Bayside to complement the one on 261.

glhs837

Power with Control

Proof? Of course not. Not like the Sheriff is going to say "We don't really need these but I sure could use an extra half mil in my budget to spend as I please".

What I do have is logic and reason.

1. The stated goal of the system is to make children safer from speeders in the school zone.
2. There has never been a child hurt by a speeder in a school zone in the county in the 30 years I've been here.
3. If we are not solving the stated problem, since it doesn't exist, what are we doing?
4. And before I get the "You dont know that no children have been hurt!!!", explain why that example wouldn't be used to justify them?

You don't know that. For all you know one of the parents or caregivers thought there should be a sign, called up the Commissioners and said, "There oughta be a law" and the Commissioners said, "Hey, you're right" and voila! Sign.

I'm not talking about signs. That has been a school zone for a while. I'm speaking to camera systems.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
CLE is one of those places that if you didn’t know it was there, you’d miss it totally. Most of it is obscured from the highway by a significant chunk of trees and then a parking lot - and on a busy day, you might not be aware anything was going on inside.

If LHS had a speed zone, it might be odd, because there’s little likelihood anyone from the school would be crossing Rte 5 for any reason. So they don’t. There is ZERO reason for anyone at CLE to ever be near 235. Like ever. I slow down when I pass Toots and Last Drop at night, not because there’s a law but because there’s a good chance an inebriated person is going to walk right in front of me.

I’m not going to have a problem speeding past CLE but you have to wonder why in this case.
What time did you pass Toot's and how many cars?

glhs837

Power with Control
When the elected officials start to complain in the drop in revenue from them, as they did in Chesapeake Beach several years ago, that's an indicator that it's revenue enhancer. Chesapeake Beach fixed the "problem" by putting up another one on Old Bayside to complement the one on 261.

And let me guess, that dropped your previous body count of kids hit by cars from zero down to zero?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
And let me guess, that dropped your previous body count of kids hit by cars from zero down to zero?
Yes. But one thing about the first one there wasn't so much the kids but the fact that a couple days didn't go by without an accident before they were put in.
After the preliminary revenue numbers from Chesapeake Beach were released a couple Town Council members in North Beach wanted to get one. The problem was that there was is no school zone here, which is a requirement to have one.
In a lot of cases it's not because a kid might get hit but the heavier traffic, both bus and private cars, that is present at schools. I've seen people pass a line of buses trying to turn left into Plum Point Elementary/Middle in both the morning and afternoon to get their kid to/pick up their kid at school. There's no camera at Plum Point.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
So you think they should wait until a child is hurt or killed instead of being proactive?

Been waiting 30 years, I'm cool with waiting 30 more. :) If this danger is real, why hasn't the Sheriff spent some deputy hours in school zones writing citations? Because its a very very low probability event. Since they haven't done it to date with deputies, ifit wasnt for the money, they wouldn't do it, which means they shouldn't do it.
Yes. But one thing about the first one there wasn't so much the kids but the fact that a couple days didn't go by without an accident before they were put in.
After the preliminary revenue numbers from Chesapeake Beach were released a couple Town Council members in North Beach wanted to get one. The problem was that there was is no school zone here, which is a requirement to have one.
In a lot of cases it's not because a kid might get hit but the heavier traffic, both bus and private cars, that is present at schools. I've seen people pass a line of buses trying to turn left into Plum Point Elementary/Middle in both the morning and afternoon to get their kid to/pick up their kid at school. There's no camera at Plum Point.

But the cameras don't ticket right of way infractions. .

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Been waiting 30 years, I'm cool with waiting 30 more. :) If this danger is real, why hasn't the Sheriff spent some deputy hours in school zones writing citations? Because its a very very low probability event. Since they haven't done it to date with deputies, ifit wasnt for the money, they wouldn't do it, which means they shouldn't do it.

But the cameras don't ticket right of way infractions. .
No, but they do serve to slow people down. Instead of rolling out of/into Chesapeake Beach at 60 or so people will slow down to 40 (11 over triggers the camera).

As seat belts on buses go, how many do you put in? The buses are rated at three kids per seat but realistically only hold two even if the kids are normal sized. In addition, you'd start to have concussed kids from getting hit with the buckles. "Jest playin'" of course.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
No, but they do serve to slow people down. Instead of rolling out of/into Chesapeake Beach at 60 or so people will slow down to 40 (11 over triggers the camera).

As seat belts on buses go, how many do you put in? The buses are rated at three kids per seat but realistically only hold two even if the kids are normal sized. In addition, you'd start to have concussed kids from getting with the buckles. "Jest playin" of course.
Yep, the cost benefit of belts on busses never works out. Because a kid getting hurt in such a way that the belt would have helped is so rare that it's simply not worth it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If this danger is real, why hasn't the Sheriff spent some deputy hours in school zones writing citations? Because its a very very low probability event.

Is it really so important to you to speed through school zones? Why?

That's a real question. I don't see how it hurts you in any way to not speed near schools. Drivers are in complete control of whether or not they get a ticket. Like, *complete* control. *You* are in complete control whether or not you trigger the speed camera.

Is it just you don't like the po po telling you what to do? I''m seriously confused by your attitude and you haven't explained it to make it more understandable.

glhs837

Power with Control

As seat belts on buses go, how many do you put in? The buses are rated at three kids per seat but realistically only hold two even if the kids are normal sized. In addition, you'd start to have concussed kids from getting with the buckles. "Jest playin" of course.

So that sounds like it should be solved with traffic engineering. Lane narrowing, speed humps, rumble strips. But those cost money, while cameras make money. Yet another reason not to do enforcement for revenue. Once the politicians find a source of money, they want to grow it.

Reactions: TPD

glhs837

Power with Control
Is it really so important to you to speed through school zones? Why?

That's a real question. I don't see how it hurts you in any way to not speed near schools. Drivers are in complete control of whether or not they get a ticket. Like, *complete* control. *You* are in complete control whether or not you trigger the speed camera.

Is it just you don't like the po po telling you what to do? I''m seriously confused by your attitude and you haven't explained it to make it more understandable.

I'm not confused by your lack of understanding. It most likely stems from attributing to me an attitude I do not have. I have said ad nauseum that I think this does not increase safety and therefore isn't really about speed enforcement or safety. Its about money, and govt lying about the reason for a thing solely to get money. To make it perfectly clear......

I do not like the idea of law enforcement being done by private companies on contract to extract a revenue stream for law enforcement when there is no benefit to public safety. That's what I do not like.

What's hilarious is that you are literally acting out the parody video In posted before. Saying the only reason I could object is if I want to run children over like its Deathrace 2000.

Reactions: TPD