Chancellor's Run Road

duzzey1

Club'nBabySeals said:
I sure hope so...I live in Hickory Hills, too, and I feel like I'm risking my life everytime I turn off of Amber Drive onto Chancellor's run. There must be three accidents there every day.

A light would create more congestion (and inconvenience), but it would be safer. At the very least, I'd like to see a four way stop there.

Well, an even more important question is, why is there only one way out of Hickory Hills? Most of the people traveling southbound on 237 are going at least 45-50 m.p.h. By the time they come over that hill before Amber Drive, its already too late. If you don't have a car with enough get up and go, you're done!

SurfaceTension

duzzey1 said:
Well, an even more important question is, why is there only one way out of Hickory Hills?

Because the residents of Hickory Hills fought to keep it that way, by opposing the FDR Boulevard extension.

Lilly

The Original Lilly
Okay here is the one I don't get . . . when turning right into Hickory Hills from southbound Chancellor's, why is that wide right shoulder not a turning lane?? Half of the people turning in there use it that way and it sure would free up a lot of traffic if people didn't have to wait for everyone to get out of the way.

Danzig

SurfaceTension said:
Because the residents of Hickory Hills fought to keep it that way, by opposing the FDR Boulevard extension.
There will soon be a road that goes from Hickory Hills (homes) to Hickory Hills shopping center.

Soon could be a year.:duh:

SuperGrover

jack of all trades
Lilly said:
Okay here is the one I don't get . . . when turning right into Hickory Hills from southbound Chancellor's, why is that wide right shoulder not a turning lane?? Half of the people turning in there use it that way and it sure would free up a lot of traffic if people didn't have to wait for everyone to get out of the way.

people have written to the department of transportation to mark that as a right turn only lane, but they have not done anything about it. until then if you do that and get in an accident, you are at fault for not following the traffic markings...

if it makes sense it probably wont be done!!

willie

I didn't quite grasp what you Hickory Hillers were complaining about until about an hour ago. A blue Impala going away from 235 pulls to the right and with no turn signal, makes a sweeping U turn across the solid lines and hash lines into the oncoming traffic. A lot of horn blowing. The only way you can fix that intersection is to ban the idiots.

flowerchild

Hairy Harry
duzzey1 said:
I was violently rear-ended while making a left hand turm (northbound) from Chancellors Run into Hickory Hills and as a result of the impact, I bearly missed a southbound approaching vehicle. I witnessed another accident Tuesday at the very same spot. I know in the morning and the evening, I am gambling with my life at that intersection, and it takes at least 5 min to get out of Hickory Hills. Does anybody know if they plan to put a light there?

The Curleys who own HH were supposed to put a light there to make the project happen, but they "pulled a few strings" and got around it!

blueintrepid18

Ken King said:
The problem is that you see a vehicle heading south on 235 desiring to turn right on to 237 as approaching a vehicle operating on 237, I don't.

Do what you want, I could care less, but I suspect that any vehicle not giving the right of way as the one getting cited should an accident occur.

If the state decided that there are to be no more u-turns there that would be fine by me or they could simply make it a no turn on red for those heading south on 235. Maybe they'll think about it more once the accident count starts climbing.

I dont see how people in here are missing another huge problem with the u turns. If the Person making the u turn was to yield to those turning right onto chancellors from 235, they would be blocking traffic from leaving chancellors especially if there were two people making the u turn. The way I see it is that in drivers ed they teach you that unless otherwise stated, in MD you can make a right turn on red after stop. During the stop you of course must assess the situation. Look and see if there are cars U turning. If they are.....screw the people behind you that honk....and wait for the u turners to make their move, then go ahead and book it out of there and hit a hickory hills resident on your way down chancellors. Its not that hard to wait for someone else......

hasnaa

I am guilty of making that U-turn...when i do make it i watch for the cars making a right off of 235 to Chancellors run...it is a hazardous turn....but legal...Lots of times on my way home i turn into the sheetz from 235 but when i leave sheetz i head home to Hickory Hills. It is easier for me to make that U-turn to head home than to go up 235 and make a U-turn North on 235 then a left on Chancellors Run.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Hasnaa, I'm trying to understand why so many people need to make a U-turn there.

I only buy gas at that Sheetz if I'm headed north on Chancellor's, and then only if I'm headed to Cedar Point or south onto 235. If I'm headed home to St. Mary's City, I buy at the Sheetz at the end of Great Mills Road.

If I lived in Hickory Hills, I wouldn't want to cross three lanes of traffic on Chancellor's in order to make a U-turn or a left onto 235, especially in the evening. What do you think of making a right onto 235 and using Buck Hewitt Road to get back to Chancellor's? Longer but probably less of a traffic headache. I'm guessing you work at Pax.

hasnaa

Actually I commute to work and drive home from Charlotte Hall park & ride...when I leave the Sheetz i pull right out onto Chancellor's Run Road and make that U-turn and I'm home...I don't go to that Sheetz often but if the gas prices are low thats when I inconvience myself and go there. BTW I'm new to Southern Maryland so I have no idea where that road is you are speaking of... Eventually I will learn my way around better. Thanks anyways!

Danzig

Tonio said:
Hasnaa, I'm trying to understand why so many people need to make a U-turn there.
I often make the U-turn so I do not wonder why; I wondered how many people are doing it. So while I was out Saturday and Sunday I did my own unscientific study and came up with these numbers.

Cars at light in far left lane__________Cars making a U-turn

Saturday around 2:00pm

14 _________________________________8
10 _________________________________4
8__________________________________3
13_________________________________3
15_________________________________7
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Sunday around noon

10_________________________________0
8__________________________________1
9__________________________________0
7___________________________________0

Bottom line is many people are making the U-turn and will continue to do so.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Danzig said:
Bottom line is many people are making the U-turn and will continue to do so.

Of course. They're not in the wrong. I wasn't trying to assign blame. I'm just concerned about the safety of the intersection. Other than drivers being on the alert, how can it be made safer?

Danzig

I would assign blame to the state or county that approved it. It's a mess and it would cost too much to fix it right.