Charging your electric vehicle - a window to the wonder

PeoplesElbow

Fisker is set to unveil their Ocean SUV on Nov 17th. I sold my FSR stock at $19 but I expect it to go into the $30 range by the end of next week.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
THIS GRAPHENE BATTERY PACK CHARGES INCREDIBLY FAST

Graphene is a highly conductive lattice of carbon only one atom thick. Pure graphene batteries are still too expensive to mass-produce, but the material can already accelerate the charging characteristics of traditional batteries when applied to an electrode in composite form. That’s the approach Elecjet is taking with its new 10,000mAh (40Wh) battery launching today on Indiegogo for $65.

In addition to a faster charge rate, Elecjet says the Apollo Ultra will last for more than 2,500 charging cycles before the battery drops below 80 percent health. That’s roughly four to five times longer than conventional lithium-ion battery packs, which would be good for both your wallet and the environment.

I can’t conceivably test the lifespan claim, but Elecjet did send me a review sample of the Apollo Ultra to validate the improved charging speed.
In short, the Apollo Ultra charges fast — incredibly fast, just as Elecjet claims.

glhs837

Power with Control
I mean I understand the allure of all the laboratory stuff and prototype stuff, but getting things that live in the real world where people actually buy things, it's a lot harder. And I know you don't get one without the other, but I certainly wouldn't invest based on lab stuff. Scale matters.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Tesla’s Conviction in Norway for Capping Model S Voltage Is Confirmed

On May 17, 2021, Tesla was ordered to pay 136,000 kroner ($14,970 at the current exchange rate) to 30 Norwegian customers affected by the software updates 2019.16.1 or 2019.16.2. These OTA (over-the-air) updates capped the voltage of Model S and Model X battery pack cells, making supercharging much slower and restricting range. According to the Norwegian newspaper DN (Dagens Næringsliv), that sentence was confirmed.

We have no access to the original report, so we have asked the author for a full glimpse. Thankfully, we have previously contacted Christian Hagen Tønsberg, the lawyer from the CLP law firm responsible for the lawsuit, and some of his colleagues. We got in touch with him again to clarify some doubts involving the new decision. Unfortunately, we have not heard back from any of these folks so far, so we’ll leave the clarifications for another article.

Apparently, the difference from the original conviction to the latest one is that Tesla had its lawyers at whatever court decided about it this time. We have no idea if it was the same conciliatory board that issued an absentee judgment after Tesla failed to submit a statement of defense. It could also be the District Court that solves these matters when any parties appeal. The conciliatory board is a necessary step before reaching the District Court.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Ford And Purdue Made A Cable That Could Charge An EV in 5 Minutes

The cable can handle 2,400 amps using liquid phase change cooling.

:yikes:

Can't wait for the video to come out of the same gal that filled the gas tank on her SUV with DEF.....after she gets an electric vehicle and gets her hands on one of the 2400A charging lines.

Clem72

THIS GRAPHENE BATTERY PACK CHARGES INCREDIBLY FAST

Graphene is a highly conductive lattice of carbon only one atom thick. Pure graphene batteries are still too expensive to mass-produce, but the material can already accelerate the charging characteristics of traditional batteries when applied to an electrode in composite form. That’s the approach Elecjet is taking with its new 10,000mAh (40Wh) battery launching today on Indiegogo for $65.

In addition to a faster charge rate, Elecjet says the Apollo Ultra will last for more than 2,500 charging cycles before the battery drops below 80 percent health. That’s roughly four to five times longer than conventional lithium-ion battery packs, which would be good for both your wallet and the environment.

I can’t conceivably test the lifespan claim, but Elecjet did send me a review sample of the Apollo Ultra to validate the improved charging speed.
In short, the Apollo Ultra charges fast — incredibly fast, just as Elecjet claims.

BTW, this is complete bullshit. There might be "graphene" in this battery, but it's just so no one sues them for completely lying. Conventional NIMH quick charge is already faster than this battery. There are phones out there, right now, that charge at 120W over USB-C. This super-fast "graphene" battery charges 10000mAh (40WH) in 30 minutes according to the author, so that's an average rate of 80W over a half hour.

Sounds to me like they took 8 2500mah flat pack cells (50% over-provision) and charge them from 0 (really 25%) to 100% (really 75%) with zero voltage ramping to get the maximum speed while not degrading cell life. Then they just give you 4x the cell life claim since they are only using 50% of the batteries capacity it's likely to last much longer before any degradation is noticed. I could design this same battery in my basement today.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I'm betting 30 years from now the electricity won't be "green enough" to suit the nutjobs and they'll be pushing a newer technology.

alternative-energy-vehicle-picture-id104240267

glhs837

Power with Control
BTW, this is complete bullshit. There might be "graphene" in this battery, but it's just so no one sues them for completely lying. Conventional NIMH quick charge is already faster than this battery. There are phones out there, right now, that charge at 120W over USB-C. This super-fast "graphene" battery charges 10000mAh (40WH) in 30 minutes according to the author, so that's an average rate of 80W over a half hour.

Sounds to me like they took 8 2500mah flat pack cells (50% over-provision) and charge them from 0 (really 25%) to 100% (really 75%) with zero voltage ramping to get the maximum speed while not degrading cell life. Then they just give you 4x the cell life claim since they are only using 50% of the batteries capacity it's likely to last much longer before any degradation is noticed. I could design this same battery in my basement today.

This is why I ignore 90% of such news. Reporters are impressed by lab results. They seem to never care that most of what impresses in the lab will never pass the test to get into production.

But what happened to "Screw EVs, hydrogen, my boy, thats the future, hydrogen!!!!!"

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
That was a pipe dream of the Japanese government and taken up by Toyota/Honda only. No one else ever considered it seriously.
So Mercedes isn't going to built the all new Luxury 2022 Hindenburg?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
That was a pipe dream of the Japanese government and taken up by Toyota/Honda only. No one else ever considered it seriously.
Someone did, because there were hydrogen refueling stations all around BWI. No idea if they are still there.

glhs837

Power with Control

Exactly. Even as recently as this year, Toyotas on record proclaiming that EVs are a dead end, HYDROGEN IS THE FUTURE!!!!

Someone did, because there were hydrogen refueling stations all around BWI. No idea if they are still there.

Sure its not CNG? I cant find any record of hydrogen stations there. This article mentions a startup that hopes to make some starting this year. I saw another article that mentioned that three FCEVs were sold in MD, but that there were no filling stations as of 2019.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Sure its not CNG? I cant find any record of hydrogen stations there.
This is going back 10-15 years. I used to drive past BWI on 97 almost daily, and there were signs for Hydrogen refueling on the highway, and I seem to remember the airport was trying out hydrogen service vehicles. Pretty sure it was hydrogen and not CNG.