Christmas Presents

Should Christmas presents be under the tree before Christmas Eve?

• Yes

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • No

Votes: 8 19.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Originally posted by Ehesef
I never understood wrapping Santa presents, or even leaving them in the boxes. I thought Santa made all of the presents, why would he put them in a box? :confused:

That is a very good point. I never thought about that as a kid but I still think you can take the presnent out of the box and wrap it. I don't think kids who are young think about that kind of stuff, but it could have been just me too.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Originally posted by jeneisen
See to me that is weird. As a kid it was always the element of surprise. Not knowing what I was getting was the best. I loved trying to guess what it was and then unwrapping them and it was a great feeling. I think walking into a room and seeing everything at once unwrapped takes away the surprise and the fun of Christmas but thats just how we did things growing up.
Well we had one present from mom, dad, sis, and brother to unwrap, so it wasn't really a big deal not to unwrap Santa stuff. Sometimes Mom would buy these big Christmas bags (they looked like decorated trash bags) and would put our stuff into one and write our names on it, but for the most part, it was left out for us. We would leave a note for Santa with our cookies and milk, and Santa (Dad) would leave half a cookie there and he would write us a little note back.

J

justhangn

There is 7 presents on our platform already.......not a tree to be found. :lol:

CowGirlUp

Yeee hawww
Originally posted by jeneisen
That is a very good point. I never thought about that as a kid but I still think you can take the presnent out of the box and wrap it. I don't think kids who are young think about that kind of stuff, but it could have been just me too.

I never thought of that idea either...intersting point ESEF. We can always count on you to bring something to another perspective....:biggrin:

CowGirlUp

Yeee hawww
Well we had one present from mom, dad, sis, and brother to unwrap, so it wasn't really a big deal not to unwrap Santa stuff. Sometimes Mom would buy these big Christmas bags (they looked like decorated trash bags) and would put our stuff into one and write our names on it, but for the most part, it was left out for us. We would leave a note for Santa with our cookies and milk, and Santa (Dad) would leave half a cookie there and he would write us a little note back.

We left soda or water or juice...always thought milk would go sour.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
See our Christmas traditions are different but I love it.

On Christmas eve we exchange gifts from each other, ie sisters/brothers etc. That way we got to open presents twice and had something to play with Christmas eve. X-mas day Santa came and we opened those presents.

I am going to continue that tradition with my kids when I have them some day, but I think I like the idea of anything that needs put together to already be done. I hated waiting to play with stuff until mom or dad put it together. We do wrap everything though. Even stocking stuffers. It makes it last longer and the anticipation was great. I might even take the things out of the boxes for my kids and wrap them that way since its more real.

Also, always remember if you do wrap Santa gifts, always use different paper!!

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
We have little ones and have put some of the presents under the tree, told them the elves brought them. It is easier than trying to hide them throughout the house. It also teaches them the value of patience. I like the idea of putting unwrapped ones under the tree on Christmas, especially with the big presents.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
We always put everything under the tree as soon as it was wrapped. On Christmas Eve, Santa came and left each of us kids a pile of unwrapped presents lined up by the tree on the hearth. Our stockings stayed empty until Santa came too.
Same here.

Our gifts from Santa were never wrapped, and in turn we do the same for our daughter.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Christmas is going to be a bear this year. Christmas Eve at my dad's, opening presents from Dad, Step-mom, brother, sister, step-sister, nephew...Then Christmas morning at home with the b/f's family, on to my mom's house for brunch and presents from mom, brother, sister...then back home for b/f grandparents and aunts, etc. then to my mom's parents for my grandparents, aunts cousins....Day after Christmas is for dad's dad, aunts, cousins, etc.

It's getting to be ridiculous. I'm just glad I'm not towing kids around with us while we jump from place to place.:crazy:

CowGirlUp

Yeee hawww
Christmas is going to be a bear this year. Christmas Eve at my dad's, opening presents from Dad, Step-mom, brother, sister, step-sister, nephew...Then Christmas morning at home with the b/f's family, on to my mom's house for brunch and presents from mom, brother, sister...then back home for b/f grandparents and aunts, etc. then to my mom's parents for my grandparents, aunts cousins....Day after Christmas is for dad's dad, aunts, cousins, etc.

It's getting to be ridiculous. I'm just glad I'm not towing kids around with us while we jump from place to place.:crazy:

Thats crazy....three places for me. Christmas Eve I am staying at my parents house...so I can wake up and open "Santa" gifts. Breakfast there with a few family members...then possible ride over to the b/f's family...depending on where/when. The my moms parents for dinner...where I will open cousin, grandparents, etc presents, and have my birthday cake!!!

Then on to my birthday celebration!!!

Last edited:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I remember the year that I snuck behuind the tree and opened a few of my gifts carefully to see what they were then taped them back together. I wasn't caught, but I was sure disappointed on Christmas monring when I "opened" them for real. I never did that again. :cheesy:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Can I ask ...

Is this tradition of not wrapping presents a local (somd) thing? :confused: I swear I've never heard of it. As a kid, even some of my stocking stuffers were wrapped. :ohwell:

CowGirlUp

Yeee hawww
Re: Can I ask ...

Originally posted by crabcake
Is this tradition of not wrapping presents a local (somd) thing? :confused: I swear I've never heard of it. As a kid, even some of my stocking stuffers were wrapped. :ohwell:

No not a somd thing....everyone has different traditions. :dance:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

Nope. As a Cali kid, all gifts were wrapped, with the exception of Santa's gift and my stocking stuffers.

Ponytail

Same here. The only thing that I ever got for Christmas that wasn't wrapped, was my new bikes.

crabcake

maybe it's b/c my family was a bunch of tape-happy, lookin-for-an-excuse-to-drink 'degos when I was a kid. :blushing:

crabcake

Re: Re: Can I ask ...

Originally posted by Ponytail
Same here. The only thing that I ever got for Christmas that wasn't wrapped, was my new bikes.

it's a PA thang, I guess :high5:

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Re: Re: Re: Can I ask ...

it's a PA thang, I guess :high5:
Nah, my old roommate, who was born and raised here, wraps everything, including stocking stuffers. I always thought she was the only one that did that. And I thought it was an enormous waste of time. :ohwell: