Votes: 20 44.4%
  • I like ties

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I think that the woman should have the option of being naked

Votes: 8 17.8%

• Total voters

bcp

In My Opinion
Is there any real value to being forced to dress up in 90% of the jobs out there?
Does wearing a shirt and tie suddenly make you smarter than you were over the weekend while wearing jeans and a T-Shirt?
Why the dress code?
I can see if you are going to be trying to represent the company in public or something, but if you are just behind the lines quietly doing your job, why is there any reason to be forced to follow some dress code that is sexist at best.

Queenofdenile1

Love is Blind
While dressing up creates conformity, it doesn't make you smarter than if you were to dress in jeans and a nice shirt. I think it's the environment. It's like dressing up to go to a very nice restaurant and drop $100.00 + for dinner in DC or Annapolis. Would you dress in jeans and a t-shirt? I think it would be nice to have a dress down day, which some places already do. Jeans and a nice shirt would be acceptable.

bcp

In My Opinion
While dressing up creates conformity, it doesn't make you smarter than if you were to dress in jeans and a nice shirt. I think it's the environment. It's like dressing up to go to a very nice restaurant and drop $100.00 + for dinner in DC or Annapolis. Would you dress in jeans and a t-shirt? I think it would be nice to have a dress down day, which some places already do. Jeans and a nice shirt would be acceptable.
dressing up came about to separate various casts of people in society.
and yes, I would gladly dress down to attend a fancy dinner, as long as what I am wearing is in good shape, clean and neat, I fail to see how it could take away from anyones experience.

bcp

In My Opinion
darn, I always forget to make the poll public so we can see who our malcontents are.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Is there any real value to being forced to dress up in 90% of the jobs out there?
Does wearing a shirt and tie suddenly make you smarter than you were over the weekend while wearing jeans and a T-Shirt?
Why the dress code?.

It makes you APPEAR to be smarter

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Image is everything. :shrug:

If you go into Restaurant A and all the employees are wearing ripped jeans and moldy t-shirts, then you go into Restaurant B and they're all tidy and pressed, which restaurant do you think you'll be drawn to?

Bay_Kat

Tropical
darn, I always forget to make the poll public so we can see who our malcontents are.

Your last choice scares me. In the offices I've worked in some of the women are better with as many clothes as possible and if given the chance these would be the only ones that would take the naked option. :lmao:

Queenofdenile1

Love is Blind
dressing up came about to separate various casts of people in society.and yes, I would gladly dress down to attend a fancy dinner, as long as what I am wearing is in good shape, clean and neat, I fail to see how it could take away from anyones experience.

I think you are correct. That is a good analogy. Dressing up doesn't take away from the experience, however, because society has made it so, I would still dress up and I like to dress up sometimes.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Your last choice scares me. In the offices I've worked in some of the women are better with as many clothes as possible and if given the chance these would be the only ones that would take the naked option. :lmao:

Ain't that the truth? :lol: Many of them here wear tents. :faint:

Queenofdenile1

Love is Blind

If you go into Restaurant A and all the employees are wearing ripped jeans and moldy t-shirts, then you go into Restaurant B and they're all tidy and pressed, which restaurant do you think you'll be drawn to?

Me, I would go with B. Sorry people, no offense.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Everyone in my office wears a uniform. The only difference is the color of shirt- blue are the workers and white are the supervisors.

Why the dress code?
I can see if you are going to be trying to represent the company in public or something, but if you are just behind the lines quietly doing your job, why is there any reason to be forced to follow some dress code that is sexist at best.

I work in a very interesting environment - there are more degrees in this place than a thermometer and it is a casual environment; to the point of where people will wear shorts, t-shirts and sandals - and these are the govies. :yikes:

People have been working here for 20+ years and it is a relaxed environment, but when it comes to crunch time - things get done.

We have all worn ties / suits for demo's or presentations when we have to be on stage, but for us techies it is rare. I have gone up in front of some pretty powerful people, impromptu, in jeans and a shirt (no collar.)

As long as there are no holes in the clothing and nothing "controversial" printed on your clothing it is OK.

jenbengen

Watch it
Why the dress code?

I'd prefer dressing down. I think the theory is that dressing up creates better behavior among coworkers. I know that the seniors in high school in Florida were made to dress up for Grad Night because they believed when a person is dressed up, they are more behaved and less likely to cause problems. So, in essense, adults need to be treated like children. :lmao:

Queenofdenile1

Love is Blind
Everyone in my office wears a uniform. The only difference is the color of shirt- blue are the workers and white are the supervisors.

I think uniforms are a nice look. I don't know why, it just appeals to me. Maybe it's the neatness, I don't know. Haven't dug that deep within my brain to try to figure it out.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I think uniforms are a nice look. I don't know why, it just appeals to me. Maybe it's the neatness, I don't know. Haven't dug that deep within my brain to try to figure it out.

Oh.. you can still look messy in a uniform. Shirts untucked, wrinkly. Mismatched socks. You'd be surprised how people come into work. We are suppose to wear all black shoes and some come in with bright colored Converse sneakers on.

Queenofdenile1

Love is Blind
I work in an environment different from Cleve. It's the opposite. Pretty much everyone here is in a suit or dress slacks and sport coat. The ladies are in dress slacks, pantsuits, blouses, very few skirts and dresses I've noticed. "Casual" are khaki's, chinos, and a dress shirt.

I used to work in an environment where some women would come to work in sweatpants, OMG,:yikes:, jeans (not a high profile office), and it was fine. I like dressing down sometimes and sometimes I don't. Either way, the only dressing down for me now is khaki's, chinos, and nice blouse or shirt. Can't wear jeans at all.

Queenofdenile1

Love is Blind
Oh.. you can still look messy in a uniform. Shirts untucked, wrinkly. Mismatched socks. You'd be surprised how people come into work. We are suppose to wear all black shoes and some come in with bright colored Converse sneakers on.

I bet that sticks out like a sore thumb!!! Doesn't anyone say anything or do they just let it go?

Cowgirl

dressing up came about to separate various casts of people in society.
and yes, I would gladly dress down to attend a fancy dinner, as long as what I am wearing is in good shape, clean and neat, I fail to see how it could take away from anyones experience.

:shrug: BCP said as long as the clothes are clean and neat. I'm pretty sure he's talking about behind the scenes employees, not the ones who are in directly working with the clients.