Coffee

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
They also have a maple pecan. Maple has been rather hard to find recently, but Aldi will have it as a stock item for while. I picked up a few and put them in storage. I mix the maple pecan with the fresh ground 1 to 4. Nice flavor without being overwhelming.
I still have some kahlua, Huckleberry and a Christmas blend.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Ok.

Keurig is NOT coffee.

Coffee needs to be blazing hot, and this barely comes out lukewarm.

Reactions: rio

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Ok.

Keurig is NOT coffee.

Coffee needs to be blazing hot, and this barely comes out lukewarm.
I have NEVERRRR liked keurig coffee. And not just because of the lukewarm at first sip. It's always tasted watered down to me, regardless of pod choice, or using the coffee grounds insert with various coffee brands.

We have to remember, using traditional drip makers allows the coffee to pour into a pot that's sitting on a burner, warming the coffee even further. Pour-overs and French Presses all start with boiling water. When using any single-cup makers, if piping hot is what you're after -- fill your mug with hot water while you prep the coffee, allowing the mug to warm up a bit too, otherwise its pouring into a cold ceramic mug. My Ninja coffee bar maker does single cups and travel size pours that go directly into your mug/travel mug but those always feel a few degrees cooler than ideal, so that's my trick. However, I live for my morning coffee so at minimum I'm always making a half or full carafe anyways so this is never an issue for me :lol:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I have NEVERRRR liked keurig coffee. And not just because of the lukewarm at first sip. It's always tasted watered down to me, regardless of pod choice, or using the coffee grounds insert with various coffee brands.
I can taste the plastic, and the thought of millions of those plastic cups going into a landfill just irks me.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I can taste the plastic, and the thought of millions of those plastic cups going into a landfill just irks me.
Fortunately my palate has been desensitized by years of cigarettes, cigars, bourbon and spicy food so I don't taste anything beyond the coffee.

if you're worried about the landfill, do what I do... Toss them over the fence into the neighbors pool.

There's so much caffeine leakage in there now their kids run back and forth across the surface instead of swimming.

:whistle:

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
That too. I started with 8 oz water, I'm down to 6 and even that is not very strong.

The Keurig is at my son's house, none of them drink coffee, so he brings it out for me. I'm going to try warming my cup with hot water, always did that when making a pot of tea.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Our Keurig at work is plenty hot. I usually drop a couple of ice cubes in to cool it a bit so I can drink it.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
That too. I started with 8 oz water, I'm down to 6 and even that is not very strong.

The Keurig is at my son's house, none of them drink coffee, so he brings it out for me. I'm going to try warming my cup with hot water, always did that when making a pot of tea.
The newer models have a strong button on them that slows down the water jet considerably to let it steep through rather than being pushed.

It's not perfect but when I want a cup to go and won't be home to drink a pot, it suffices.

lucky_bee

RBF expert

That's so nice of them! I keep my mom's favorite teas on hand and when my in-laws and my parents visit, we break out the 12-cup coffee maker too! Lots of coffee running thru the families. Our weekend coffee maker is an 8-cup carafe, so it's perfect for just him and I to both have 2 cups in the a.m. He has a super fancy high-end coffee/espresso machine at work, and I keep a similar model to our home's in my office on site.

@Sneakers I must be sensitive to the plastic too, I always felt like Keurigs added a weird taste. Maybe that's also why I don't like putting my coffee in travel mugs too, could never explain it. It never tastes right or as good in a normal mug. Hence the coffee maker in my office :biggrin:

DogWhisperer

I started in the Navy. After 20 years of that gut rot I started with Starbucks Sumatran roast and have gotten hooked on Peets Major Dickason. Make a Keurig with mostly decaf but one teaspoon of caf. I've developed a dependency. If I try to stop caffeine now I get almost migraine type headaches for a day and a half. Trick is to use a mix of Excedrin with the coffee and wean off of it. I always get back on it when I'm having a slow starting day.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Looking for a new coffee maker. Any recommendations, has to be versatile enough for all the coffee drinkers at the house.
I can't recommend my Ninja Coffee Bar enough -- I've had it a couple years now and probably will upgrade soon to a newer version but it can make single cup, travel, half- and full-carafe (8 cup). Option for rich brew or classic, or even over ice (which brews the coffee as a concentrate, pouring over the ice to melt enough for non-watered down iced coffee). Some come with attached milk frothers for fancy coffees but I love a basic cup and it definitely delivers.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I only use stainless travel mugs for that same reason.

Hmmm.... insulated ceramic travel mug with a heater..... 🤔
right, but those usually have some plastic top to sip from. And sipping right from a stainless steel cup makes my teeth ring -- they're very sensitive :dead: