Colon Cancer

Roman

The worst thing about a Colonoscopy is thinking about it! Don't listen to any of the horror stories, because they simply aren't true. Many people have died because of NOT getting one. The hardest part for me, was not being able to eat the day before. The piece of mind you get by having one, is wonderful. HC, I will be thinking of you on the 8th, because I go in for my yearly Screening on that day too at 10:10 AM. I'll have a Prayer in my Prayer Jar for you too.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Do you ask for a colonoscopy because my doctor has never said one word about having one, and I have regular exams.

Roman

Do you ask for a colonoscopy because my doctor has never said one word about having one, and I have regular exams.
You can mention it to him/her, but you are probably young, with no family history. Usual time for a colonoscopy is age 50.

Roman

Okay thanks. I'll keep it in mind for when I get closer to 50. :smile:
Keep in mind that if you do have a close relative that was diagnosed at say 50 years old, you have to go in at age 40 for yours. Ten years earlier than the relative was diagnosed.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Keep in mind that if you do have a close relative that was diagnosed at say 50 years old, you have to go in at age 40 for yours. Ten years earlier than the relative was diagnosed.

Thank you for the info.

I have no family history of anything other than heart attacks for the men on my dad's side. However, as I've discovered - just because there is no history of something, it doesn't mean you are immune from getting sick. :ohwell: I guess I'm a bit of a nervous nelly.

hotcoffee

I'm home.... It's so good to have the surgery behind me.

I have a little cut on the belly button area. I'm a little sore and very weak. Getting up and down is a problem.... but other than that... and that ain't much.... this was a piece of cake.

To Dr. Obias... thanks... I know you enjoy being a doctor for all the right reasons!

To all the ladies at GWU...Elaine, Amy, Barbara, Melissa, Ella, Sheeba, Joy, Elizabeth and Jennie [the needle lol].... I thank you again for the excellent caring way you do your job every single day. You are all heroes in my book!

Thanks again hotcoffee room 570.

:coffee:

Wenchy

Hot Flash
I'm home.... It's so good to have the surgery behind me.

I have a little cut on the belly button area. I'm a little sore and very weak. Getting up and down is a problem.... but other than that... and that ain't much.... this was a piece of cake.

To Dr. Obias... thanks... I know you enjoy being a doctor for all the right reasons!

To all the ladies at GWU...Elaine, Amy, Barbara, Melissa, Ella, Sheeba, Joy, Elizabeth and Jennie [the needle lol].... I thank you again for the excellent caring way you do your job every single day. You are all heroes in my book!

Thanks again hotcoffee room 570.

:yahoo:

Now, as far as the room number goes, I am unemployed. Please accept these...:flowers:

bcp

In My Opinion
Get your rest and don't try to do too much too quick.

Good to see you made it back home so quick,, that means everything went perfectly.

hotcoffee

On another site a cancer patient asked, "Is it ever over?". She has had a lot of cancers and now she finds it's in her colon. My heart went right out to her because my own mother had breast cancer, uterine cancer, and colon cancer. She was lucky because she was a vet's wife during peacetime. My dad had been in medical research for a long time in the Navy. She knew most of the doctors by name, and some by first name.... and she was in the wives clubs with many through the years.

This is what I answered the woman who asked "Is it ever over?".

"I don't know if it goes away. I know when I was being treated for Lyme Disease not long ago, I learned that it would never go away.... and the co-infections might mutate as well.... It seems like this cancer stuff is the same thing. That's what's scaring me the most. I am not afraid to make decisions on my own about my health. I ask for a copy of every report and read it through checking for inconsistencies that even I can find. I figure all the stuff over my head should repeat through the reports or it should be mentioned that the stuff is now unremarkable. Even that word unremarkable may lead me to issues.... say if a change in prognosis is unremarkable.

I wonder if it matters really. After all... we're tagged with cancer now.... so now we have to learn how to live with it and continue on with life... Full of Hope... I can only hope the professionals I'm dealing with are as professional as they seem to be. Now that it may be a while I have to depend on them."​

mamatutu

mama to two
On another site a cancer patient asked, "Is it ever over?". She has had a lot of cancers and now she finds it's in her colon. My heart went right out to her because my own mother had breast cancer, uterine cancer, and colon cancer. She was lucky because she was a vet's wife during peacetime. My dad had been in medical research for a long time in the Navy. She knew most of the doctors by name, and some by first name.... and she was in the wives clubs with many through the years.

This is what I answered the woman who asked "Is it ever over?".

"I don't know if it goes away. I know when I was being treated for Lyme Disease not long ago, I learned that it would never go away.... and the co-infections might mutate as well.... It seems like this cancer stuff is the same thing. That's what's scaring me the most. I am not afraid to make decisions on my own about my health. I ask for a copy of every report and read it through checking for inconsistencies that even I can find. I figure all the stuff over my head should repeat through the reports or it should be mentioned that the stuff is now unremarkable. Even that word unremarkable may lead me to issues.... say if a change in prognosis is unremarkable.

I wonder if it matters really. After all... we're tagged with cancer now.... so now we have to learn how to live with it and continue on with life... Full of Hope... I can only hope the professionals I'm dealing with are as professional as they seem to be. Now that it may be a while I have to depend on them."​

Good to see you posting! It is good of you to share your experience to help others. Take care of yourself! :huggy:

hotcoffee

Does anyone know of a site that help post op patients track their journey? I have some questions and it might be a good idea to write down things as I go.... there's no back or spell check in a paper notebook...:whistle:

I've been to American Cancer.org and I'm a member of What's Next. Should be something local.... right?

Roman

Having been a cancer patient myself, I can tell you that I feel like a walking time bomb some days. I'm not a hypochondriac, but I'm not far from it. I'm fearful of Doctors as a patient, but I work with them just fine. Like anyone who has ever been diagnosed with cancer, for me, it came as a surprize. It blew the wind out of my sails BIG time. Only another cancer patient knows what we go through day to day. I try to avoid Medical Sites, and/or Groups. It just adds more fuel to my fire. It will be 17 years this May 13th since my diagnosis, and I thank God for every day that I'm still here.

hotcoffee

Having been a cancer patient myself, I can tell you that I feel like a walking time bomb some days. I'm not a hypochondriac, but I'm not far from it. I'm fearful of Doctors as a patient, but I work with them just fine. Like anyone who has ever been diagnosed with cancer, for me, it came as a surprize. It blew the wind out of my sails BIG time. Only another cancer patient knows what we go through day to day. I try to avoid Medical Sites, and/or Groups. It just adds more fuel to my fire. It will be 17 years this May 13th since my diagnosis, and I thank God for every day that I'm still here.

Did you have time to hunt out your own doctor and staff?

I don't know .... that's the problem.... This is rough.... glad I had the Lyme to get me ready for this kind of thing....

I totally know what you're saying...

Roman

Did you have time to hunt out your own doctor and staff?

I don't know .... that's the problem.... This is rough.... glad I had the Lyme to get me ready for this kind of thing....

I totally know what you're saying...
Yes, I chose my staff after seeing nine different Doctors in a 3 day period after diagnosis. I decided to go to Philadelphia to a Hospital that specialized in my diagnosis. They were great, and I'm thankful for each, and everyone of the Staff. It was 5 days from diagnosis, to surgery because my Cancer was aggressive. Melanoma spreads like wild fire, and considering that it was in my head, I had to move quick.

hotcoffee

Was your insurance company easy to deal with?

I gotta say... I called my insurance company my diagnosis and they gave me a real update on benefits.

They told me up front what I had to pay, and they told me how far into the max for the year out of pocket I have.

Roman

Was your insurance company easy to deal with?

I gotta say... I called my insurance company my diagnosis and they gave me a real update on benefits.

They told me up front what I had to pay, and they told me how far into the max for the year out of pocket I have.

Well Hotcoffee, here's the kicker. I was at what I thought, was the healthiest time in my life. One Child was out of the home, and one still at home. Six months before that dreadful day, my Husband, and I decided to cancel Health Insurance on ourselves, and just keep it for the one Child left at home. So I had no Health Insurance, and made too much money to get Medical Assistance. because I was a Paramedic/Firefighter, different organizations picked up a ton of the tab. They said because I was a "Servant to my Community". The Surgeon ate his costs, because he wanted to help me, so he did his part for free. We had to pay for the Operating Room, Anesthesiologist, and the first round of chemo, and radiation. That was about 25 thousand out of pocket. The Knights of Templar paid for my room, and TV, along with food. I was very lucky, and to this day, we donate a nice sum of money to these organizations. We are heavily Insured now, and have learned from our mistake, thinking we would live forever, and be in great health.

hotcoffee

Now I'm waiting for the pathology report.

I'm not so morbid that I'm worried about it coming back stage whatever or something. I want to know when I can get back to life as the new "Normal" and get an idea of what that will be.

I want to research it some so I know what questions to ask the professionals.