Colon Cancer

bcp

In My Opinion
Now I'm waiting for the pathology report.

I'm not so morbid that I'm worried about it coming back stage whatever or something. I want to know when I can get back to life as the new "Normal" and get an idea of what that will be.

I want to research it some so I know what questions to ask the professionals.

:coffee:

From watching the FIL go through the cancer, and recently watching a friend go through a year of pure hell,, (in two weeks he has the final surgery to get rid of the bag that he has had for about 7 months now)
I can honestly tell you that if they got all the cancer, and give you a thumbs up, you are in the clear, live life to the fullest, make the screenings for the next few years and dont look back.

Roman

It takes about ten days for the Path Report to come back, but it will seem like 20. I have often wondered if the Dye, and Chemical additives in our foods cause some of the G.I. Cancers that are out there? It might sound silly, but look at the labels and see all that stuff. It's amazing what they put in processed foods. I also wonder if deodorant causes some forms of Breast Cancer. I guess we can assume at this point, that LIFE causes cancer.

hotcoffee

Pathology is in. T4.... 26 nodes were tested... all are clear.

They are really sure they got it all. I had two clean ends for resection.

This is all good news [well not the T4]. T4 means it went completely through the colon... it hadn't attached to anything else so far and it hadn't gotten into the lymph nodes so that's good. But T4 is more than I was praying for.

Bummer.... I have to do some chemo. I've done some reading [of course] and I'm not thrilled but there are the occasional postings from people who have no side affects.... so I figure there must be more that didn't feel the need to post anything because there was nothing to post... right?

Oh well.... it is what it is....

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

This is all good news [well not the T4]. T4 means it went completely through the colon... it hadn't attached to anything else so far and it hadn't gotten into the lymph nodes so that's good. But T4 is more than I was praying for.

Bummer.... I have to do some chemo. I've done some reading [of course] and I'm not thrilled but there are the occasional postings from people who have no side affects.... so I figure there must be more that didn't feel the need to post anything because there was nothing to post... right?

:huggy: This is a really good outcome, it really is. I realize you were praying for less, but the good news is that it seem contained and had not spread.

Chemo will probably not be fun, but I'll bet your attitude will be very positive and THAT really is a good thing! My sister had an incredible positive attitude and her chemo team was always telling her it was such a great thing for her.

Good luck to you!! :huggy:

bcp

In My Opinion

So many different chemos, but if its the same that my friend just go done with, his biggest side effect other than tired, was that if he touched something that was warm, he felt like it was freezing, so he had to be careful in the kitchen, and he had to wear gloves just to drink Ice tea. Chemo for him was once a week for 12 weeks, and the side effect was only for two days after each treatment.
It gets better and its well worth the treatment.

mamatutu

mama to two
Your attitude is awesome! It is so heartwarming to see how many care about you on this forum. I hope the chemo doesn't cause you discomfort. :huggy:

cricketmd

:huggy:

hotcoffee

I am going out of the house today! :yahoo:

I have Verizon phone service and very small number of minutes. I'm usually at work and don't get a lot of calls on my cell phone... but this month I've been talking it up. I could increase the number of minutes but it's only for a couple more days and I could definitely use a little outing.....

So I'm going to the oncologist's office to move my appointment up and to make sure they can get all the reports they need from the surgeon. I'm hoping they can give me an idea about when I'll probably be back to work.

Then I might stop by work and fill them in on what I find out about scheduling and stuff. I miss work. I need to get out of the house.

My daughter's going with me but I'm going to try to drive. If it proves too much for me... she can take over. I'm not a good passenger.

Roman

Good news hotcoffee! The radiation I had was worse than the chemo. I lost my taste buds for a bit, and the mouth felt scalded. My hair came back wavy, but where the rads hit on the right side of the head, my hair on that side gets knots more than the left. A small price to pay for being alive. Enjoy your outting today!

hotcoffee

So today I find out about chemo in Calvert County. Tomorrow I'll meet with the Surgeon and then with the oncologist in GWU to find out about chemo in DC.

While the oncologist at GWU has a better resume, I'm really afraid that I won't be able to handle the trip after I go to GWU.

Since I had a central line and went through home infusion with Lyme disease, I know that some things are now done at home that use to be done only in hospitals.

Chemo seems to be in a league of it's own tho because, from what I've read, some people still have to have a central line but the meds are infused by professionals. I've also read that there are precautions I will have to take to protect my family from the meds as they work through my system in the bathroom.

I'll let you all know how it goes.... it's therapeutic to talk about it on line.... seems to calm me down just putting all this in words.

The goal.... get back to work! Work is normal....

hotcoffee

Well I still have to see the best doctors tomorrow.... but I met with the local guy today.... I'm going back to work Friday.... I am so excited....

Hold up tho.... I'm going to GWU tomorrow.... I'll let you know if they give me the thumbs up too.... Or if it's just going to be part time.... for a while....

Local guy gave me a bunch of hypotheticals.... but said I can go back to work...

mamatutu

mama to two
Well I still have to see the best doctors tomorrow.... but I met with the local guy today.... I'm going back to work Friday.... I am so excited....

Hold up tho.... I'm going to GWU tomorrow.... I'll let you know if they give me the thumbs up too.... Or if it's just going to be part time.... for a while....

Local guy gave me a bunch of hypotheticals.... but said I can go back to work...

That's great news! I know you are very anxious to get back to work! :smile: Yes, please keep us posted.

Roman

So today I find out about chemo in Calvert County. Tomorrow I'll meet with the Surgeon and then with the oncologist in GWU to find out about chemo in DC.

While the oncologist at GWU has a better resume, I'm really afraid that I won't be able to handle the trip after I go to GWU.

Since I had a central line and went through home infusion with Lyme disease, I know that some things are now done at home that use to be done only in hospitals.

Chemo seems to be in a league of it's own tho because, from what I've read, some people still have to have a central line but the meds are infused by professionals. I've also read that there are precautions I will have to take to protect my family from the meds as they work through my system in the bathroom.

I'll let you all know how it goes.... it's therapeutic to talk about it on line.... seems to calm me down just putting all this in words.

Chemo is in a league of it's own HC. Hang in there, and keep us posted. You will be able to make the trip to GW.!! What makes you think that you won't? You won't feel the side effects for a day, or two. You may not have any side effects at all!! I had more side effects from radiation, than I did Chemo.

frequentflier

happy to be living

Make sure you keep any pets you have out of the bathroom you use as well. A customer told me her sister had a dog that started losing his fur when she was on chemo. It turns out, the dog was drinking from the toilet water and was getting the residual chemo drugs.

I sincerely wish you all the best, HotCoffee.

cricketmd

Hey, sorry I'm just now seeing this. GW is a few blocks down from where I work, I'd have offered to take you to lunch or something. :huggy: Hope all goes well! :huggy:

belvak

Happy Camper
Hotcoffee, I've been following this thread from the beginning. Glad to hear that you got good news. Hope you get even better news today!!! :huggy:

hotcoffee

:yahoo::yahoo:
NO CHEMO!
:yahoo::yahoo:

I have a genetic issue. I have to go to testing every three months. My mom passed a gene to me. So chemo would do not good anyway. But Hey....

Right as of this minute I am cancer free and NO CHEMO! :yahoo:

Thank you all for your prayers.....