Common Meals

Kinnakeet

Haven't looked recently, but the last place I did see one was in Giant, in the freezer case in the far back corner with the frozen burgers and pies.

And yes, apparently discontinued.

WTF is festive Turkey is that something like McRib from McDonalds

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
WTF is festive Turkey is that something like McRib from McDonalds
Festive is a Jennie-O subsidiary brand.
1702409023289.png

SandieGarry

Haven't looked recently, but the last place I did see one was in Giant, in the freezer case in the far back corner with the frozen burgers and pies.

And yes, apparently discontinued.

Yeah, I looked at Giant, no Turkey Loaf, now my Christmas really sucks. Not sure what to have for dinner.

SamSpade

Ok got two more questions then -

Does anyone schedule certain meals per day? Is Wednesday Prince Spaghetti Day? Taco Tuesday? When I grew up, I don’t think my mom had more than two dozen meals, tops.

And the second question is - do you do a LOT of meals with ground beef? I don’t think we do more than five or six - chili, spaghetti, meatloaf, tacos, taco pie, shepherds pie.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
No. But I'm not feeding anyone other than myself. When I had a family, I did plan Sunday through Thursday. I was off on Friday and Saturday.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Does anyone schedule certain meals per day? Is Wednesday Prince Spaghetti Day? Taco Tuesday? When I grew up, I don’t think my mom had more than two dozen meals, tops.

And the second question is - do you do a LOT of meals with ground beef? I don’t think we do more than five or six - chili, spaghetti, meatloaf, tacos, taco pie, shepherds pie.

No certain days, never did, but in hindsight it would have made that feeding thing easier when my kids were young.

I could eat a ground beef meal every night for a month and not get tired of it. There's so much you can do with it.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

I cook. grill, and roast chicken a LOT more than beef. It's just Thing1 and I and he's 32 (almost 33)but I use the chicken in my daily salads and I make him a variety of meals from that chicken: chicken with veggies and whichever starch we have, chicken quesadillas, chicken nachos. It's so versatile and less fat than beef. I also make soup and chicken pot pie with it.

SamSpade

Well for the past several months - for various reasons, mostly dealing with schedules and the health of family members ---

I've largely assumed the role of cook in the household. I prefer to plan things ahead, and that's generally a rare thing at our house UNLESS it's a big event, like Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving or a big outing held at the house. So meals TENDED to be slapped together at the last minute. At least a few times, it was takeout in the same week.

I am ALSO trying to keep in stock - QUICK MEALS. For instance, my kids love many of the Asian themed meals I make - but they take preparation. On the othe hand, a bag of frozen beef raviolis and a can of sauce is easy and fast.

Last night I was away with the boy, so the girls had frozen potstickers.

So - TWO questions - and they're opposites -

1. What QUICK meals do you go to - burgers, fries, hot dogs, frozen pizza etc. - things you keep in stock when you're in a hurry to feed your family

AND

2. Favorites that you go to, BUT - they take some time or preparation - but worth it?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
So - TWO questions - and they're opposites -

1. What QUICK meals do you go to - burgers, fries, hot dogs, frozen pizza etc. - things you keep in stock when you're in a hurry to feed your family

AND

2. Favorites that you go to, BUT - they take some time or preparation - but worth it?
Living alone, I don't usually plans meals anymore. Last night was frozen leftover spaghetti sauce and Texas toast, because I was too lazy to defrost and clean the shrimp. I might do that tonight, or frozen fish sticks, or a bowl of Cherrios. :sshrug:

SamSpade

Living alone, I don't usually plans meals anymore. Last night was frozen leftover spaghetti sauce and Texas toast, because I was too lazy to defrost and clean the shrimp. I might do that tonight, or frozen fish sticks, or a bowl of Cherrios. :sshrug:
Interesting. When I lived alone, I either made something easy - or actually went to different stores and experimented. Made my own baba ghanoush or tabouleh or stuffed grape leaves or moussaka - or cajun foods - or tried different Chinese dishes (and ruined them). I knew every ethnic store in the area near DC - where to get weird or unusual spices. I knew where the Jamaican/Indian/Cuban/Thai/Chinese/Vegetarian - and so forth stores were. (By the way - there's some kind of ethnic grocery going in near the Hong Kong carry out).

I became less "adventurous" when I had to cook for kids who were NEVER going to eat that stuff. Or roommates who were going to refuse it.

I still - "experiment" from time to time. It's just understood that I might be the only one trying it, especially if it is seafood. No one wants squid or mussels or most fish. I'm the only one eating goose or lamb. Two months ago I brought home some veal, and although my wife made some OUTSTANDING veal parmesan, she won't eat veal on moral principles.

Last time I made something no one wanted to try was last month when I smoked salmon on a range top smoker.