Cotton Pickin'

black dog

Free America
When Allen used the word - he thought he was making up a gibberish name without any meaning.

I just read an old WaPo article that mentioned it didn't even exist in Wikipedia - until the day after he used it.
Then all of a sudden it was some widely known racial epithet even though most people still said they'd never heard of it before.

I think the lesson people learned that day was - always use a freaking teleprompter,
because someone somewhere will always find a way to make you regret saying anything.

I heard it when I was working in South America with some that spoke Portuguese,
In 86-87. It popped up again with the Honduran's or El Salvatorians what worked under me. I heard one man ask me if that was " mi macaca " in my truck one of the days my son went to work with me when he was a curtain climber.
After that all of our kids were macaca's..

SamSpade

I heard it when I was working in South America with some that spoke Portuguese,
In 86-87. It popped up again with the Honduran's or El Salvatorians what worked under me. I heard one man ask me if that was " mi macaca " in my truck one of the days my son went to work with me when he was a curtain climber.
After that all of our kids were macaca's..

I remember in the 80's a guy I knew referred to all the college aged guys - he was middle-aged - as "yard apes".
You know, the kind of guy who still used words like tomfoolery and shenanigans.
This was very white New England, so every single person he used it for was white.
He used it to describe gangly clumsy guys who came by his house with his sons.
I am sure he would have been horrified to hear it might be a racist term.

Until last year - I hadn't ever heard it used as a racial epithet.

I must admit - I'm feeling like I'm walking on eggshells, because I can't have to watch my every utterance on the off chance SOMEONE will take offense,
especially if none is ever meant.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I remember in the 80's a guy I knew referred to all the college aged guys - he was middle-aged - as "yard apes".

When I was tending bar in PA I made a reference to some little kid being a porch monkey. My boss was like, "I can't believe you said that right in front of Brownie (a black customer)." I was like, ??? When I was a kid, porch monkeys were children, especially loud or unruly ones. The neighbor ladies would call us white kids that all the time. That's the first I'd ever heard it was a racial slur.

When I was tending bar in PA I made a reference to some little kid being a porch monkey. My boss was like, "I can't believe you said that right in front of Brownie (a black customer)." I was like, ??? When I was a kid, porch monkeys were children, especially loud or unruly ones. The neighbor ladies would call us white kids that all the time. That's the first I'd ever heard it was a racial slur.

Ok, so where does that leave us with Rug Rats?

mAlice

professional daydreamer

Yep, same here. I didn't know "porch monkey" was a "racial slur" until a short time ago. My neighbor and I (in MD) called ourselves porch monkeys, 'cuz that's where we hung out when catching up. Maybe blacks need to stop adopting every term they hear.

Yep, same here. I didn't know "porch monkey" was a "racial slur" until a short time ago. My neighbor and I (in MD) called ourselves porch monkeys, 'cuz that's where we hung out when catching up. Maybe blacks need to stop adopting every term they hear.

It's not just blacks. I've told the story of my bumper sticker here before. It said "I Brake for Snowflake", referring to a little ice cream shop on Long Island. Had it on the truck for years, always saw a smile or giggle from people who pulled up behind me. Completely innocent.

And then we had the election of 2016. All of a sudden I was a snowflake supporter and my truck suddenly developed parking lot dings all over. Had to peel the sticker off.

Hijinx

Everybody knows how every black joke starts.

With the teller looking around to see if any blacks are near.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I didn't know jigaboo was a bad word. I used to call me cat that. No, that wasn't her name.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Is it bad I have a Barack Obama chia pet?:whistle:

IMG_0913.JPG