Countdown.........

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Daytona Qualifying Explained ...

The Daytona 500 uses a different qualifying procedure than any other race in the world. On Budweiser Pole Day: Sunday, Feb. 13, only the fastest two cars earn their starting spots for the Daytona 500.
The fastest qualifier will earn the pole for both the Daytona 500 and the first 150-mile Gatorade Duel qualifying race. The second fastest qualifier earns the outside pole for the Daytona 500 and will start on the pole for the second 150-mile Gatorade Duel qualifying race.

Drivers qualifying in odd-numbered positions will compete in the first Gatorade Duel race while drivers that qualify in even-numbered positions duke it out in the second Gatorade Duel race.

The top 14 finishers, not including the polesitter in the first 150-mile qualifying race, will line up behind the Daytona 500 pole sitter; while the top-14 finishers, not including the outside pole sitter in the second 150-mile Gatorade Duel qualifying race, will line up behind the outside Daytona 500 pole sitter.

Currently, the next eight Daytona 500 starting positions (31-38) are awarded to the drivers with the fastest speed after pole qualifying. The final five positions (39-43) are given to teams that are entitled to a provisional starting position per NASCAR's entry blank for the event.

It's confusing as heck ... but there it is. :ohwell:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Joe Gibbs needs to sign Tony to play for the Skins. The O line wishes they could block that well!

kom526

Hamlin ripped his car up during the burnout...aahhhh the exuberance of youth.

How many times will Kyle Busch get punted this year? The new azzhole og NASCAR.

crabcake

kom526 said:
Hamlin ripped his car up during the burnout...aahhhh the exuberance of youth.

Yea, he tore it up, but what the hell! Who expected him to win it? :shrug: I doubt Gibbs or his crew minds much. :lol:

I think they shoulda black flagged that punkass Busch! :smack: Instead they nailed Edwards who had nowhere else to go and made him come back down pit road. :duh: It's not like he gained anything by the move; it was to avoid a wreck. But on the flip side, they did say last year that even if you're avoiding a wreck, and you go down into the pit road entry zone, to just reduce your speed and go down pit road instead. :ohwell:

Some great racing though! :cheers: Can't wait for next weekend! :biggrin:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
What a RACE!!!! :yahoo:

That was awesome! Hamlin won it with Stewart pushing him.

Dale Jr; now if that's any indication of his coming efforts, look out fans!

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Quote: "I think they shoulda black flagged that punkass Busch! :smack: Instead they nailed Edwards who had nowhere else to go and made him come back down pit road. :duh: "

Yeah, I thought that was pretty dumb, but what was he going to do?

crabcake

Penn said:
Dale Jr; now if that's any indication of his coming efforts, look out fans!
There's no denying Jr and Jr make a good team; but they've been together before and while they showed success, they also had a lot of problems (personality conflicts) ... mostly attributed to Jr's attitude from what I gather. If he learned some lessons being away from his cousin for the last year, then he could do it. :yay:

Mikeinsmd

kom526 said:
:yeahthat: I hate that lil fukcer!! He's gonna get put in the wall good on future races. I was hoping Tony would take em out.

gumby

I AM GUMBY DAMMIT
I think they shoulda black flagged that punkass Busch! :smack:

I thought it was just me who thought he was driving like an azz. Get Jimmy Spencer to smack him in the nose too :lmao:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Did you catch Tony Stewart's comments after the race?

Not word for word, but "We got to be careful out there, come the 500 race, somebody could die out there(with the amount of bumping going on.)"

Yeah, it was very intense.

They sure called Gordon's problem all wrong; it was a cracked oil cooler line, not a bad tire.:whistle:

crabcake

gumby said:
I thought it was just me who thought he was driving like an azz. Get Jimmy Spencer to smack him in the nose too :lmao:
The Busch brothers are both punkasses. :boo:

Now, how 'bout that incredible save by Martin ... :shocking:

Mikeinsmd

From a 2002 interview with Helton. Edwards was robbed!!
"The intent of the yellow line rule is to prevent drivers from driving beneath the line to improve their position," said Mike Helton, NASCAR President. "No part of that intent says that you cannot cross the yellow line to avoid an accident, provided you don't make an attempt to better yourself in the process."

crabcake

Mikeinsmd said:
Yea, but they had an issue with it last year during the 500 (I believe) and they (nascar) laid the smack down on going down below the yellow at the entry to pit road (commit line), and I think Edwards went over that line, then came back out. I'd have to rewind the DVR to be sure though.

kom526

Mikeinsmd said:
:yeahthat: Not only did he avoid the wreck, he lost 3 spots. As Warner Wolf used to say,"Let's go to the videotape."

crabcake

gumby said:
NASCAR has to allow for special circumstances like Edwards situation.
Alright; here's what happened ... the 5 and 48 cars slowed down to hit pit road, Carl was comin' like a bat outta hell, and had nowhere to go but to the left of them, then hauled ass around them and back out in front of them and onto the track. While he didn't hit the commit line, he pretty much was in the area for going to pit road, and probably should have just proceeded down pit road instead of cutting back out. The reason I say that is because with the limited visibility right/left that drivers have, he wouldn't have known that it was clear for him to do that, and I don't think his spotter told him "Hey, you're clear, jump back out onto the track." :ohwell:

As much as it sucks, technically, he DID pass below the yellow b/c neither Johnson nor Busch had passed the commit line either, even though he lost positions in the process. But had JJ or Busch (who is the LAST person I'd defend) decided to not hit pit road, he'd have gained position on them.