CRE Board

R

residentofcre

I would love to have a couple of municipality forums open to the community. One will not cut it. There needs to be time to encourage participation in asking, researching, not shooting from the hip in responses, and encouraging more and more input.

Again, just my thoughts on the matter. We surely would get more in return for what we lay out in taxes. And businesses are not required. With the density of CRE only that is A LOT of homes/real estate and income tax.

The Commissioners would have to give permission or approve putting the question on the ballot. They come up for election in two years. IMO It might be wise to take this question to them during the campaign period so that they will see it in that light.

Two years gives plenty of time to educate and encourage the homeowners. As for the "liquid fuel" income, we are now receiving State Highway User Revenue, but the county is fighting us on the vehicle registration portion that they now receive.

Don't you think it's likely that we would have to levy another tax on the registration fees to tap into those funds?

As a municipality, we might also have the ability to add a small franchise fee to the cable bills and SMECO bills to increase income as well.

As for having commercial business.... CRE owns a lot of land that could be converted to low impact small business area if we were responsible for our own planning and zoning. We would also have the ability to charge a small fee for those who run business in here. As it is now, we have no idea who is running a business from the home.

Most people in CRE have a "What's in it for me" attitude. They would need to know just how the tax base changes would affect them.

Remember too, it'll take 5 years to set up the municipality once the vote is taken. During that 5 years you will still need to maintain or improve the buildings and amenities we have now. The Management Building, for example really needs a paint job... and if you are not going to use it after the change, it could be converted to shops or office space... so you should be working on the Replacement Reserve study assignments while working on the municipality question.

Just my thoughts... I'm just a homeowner now...

jedi2814

The Commissioners would have to give permission or approve putting the question on the ballot. They come up for election in two years. IMO It might be wise to take this question to them during the campaign period so that they will see it in that light.

Two years gives plenty of time to educate and encourage the homeowners. As for the "liquid fuel" income, we are now receiving State Highway User Revenue, but the county is fighting us on the vehicle registration portion that they now receive.

Don't you think it's likely that we would have to levy another tax on the registration fees to tap into those funds?

As a municipality, we might also have the ability to add a small franchise fee to the cable bills and SMECO bills to increase income as well.

As for having commercial business.... CRE owns a lot of land that could be converted to low impact small business area if we were responsible for our own planning and zoning. We would also have the ability to charge a small fee for those who run business in here. As it is now, we have no idea who is running a business from the home.

Most people in CRE have a "What's in it for me" attitude. They would need to know just how the tax base changes would affect them.

Remember too, it'll take 5 years to set up the municipality once the vote is taken. During that 5 years you will still need to maintain or improve the buildings and amenities we have now. The Management Building, for example really needs a paint job... and if you are not going to use it after the change, it could be converted to shops or office space... so you should be working on the Replacement Reserve study assignments while working on the municipality question.

Just my thoughts... I'm just a homeowner now...

To be honest CRE is too large an area for the county to give up planning and zoning rights too, aside from the tax issue. I'm not sure that a municipality would have complete control over its own planning and zoning anyway - that's like saying a county can override what the state says when it comes to zoning. The Town Center concept is something that county has been developing and pushing for 25 yrs. or more - the IDEA is to cluster business development in these areas (I know, I know, I said IDEA) I doubt the county is going to allow another "town center" in CRE with the Lusby one so close.

To compare the Ranch Club to NB is difficult since NB had a lot of commercial and businees development before they ever incorporated. Much improvement has occurred, but the businesses were already there. CRE is a residential area, period - a business/commercial center would be entirely new to that area. Again something outside Planning and Zoning's master plan.

R

residentofcre

To be honest CRE is too large an area for the county to give up planning and zoning rights too, aside from the tax issue. I'm not sure that a municipality would have complete control over its own planning and zoning anyway - that's like saying a county can override what the state says when it comes to zoning. The Town Center concept is something that county has been developing and pushing for 25 yrs. or more - the IDEA is to cluster business development in these areas (I know, I know, I said IDEA) I doubt the county is going to allow another "town center" in CRE with the Lusby one so close.

To compare the Ranch Club to NB is difficult since NB had a lot of commercial and businees development before they ever incorporated. Much improvement has occurred, but the businesses were already there. CRE is a residential area, period - a business/commercial center would be entirely new to that area. Again something outside Planning and Zoning's master plan.

This is true... the business I was thinking of is more like theme park type business....

I would prefer to get all the benefits of municipality without changing to municipality.... it's easier....

Jbeckman

Which means the community continues to pay the MO and Roads, and STD taxes, no income from our pay of real estate or income tax...all our services contingent on the BOCC. and little of the SHUR and none of the registration fees. Sounds like a plan. Let's open up an amusement park, no enforcement (official powers) and hope an influx of people (in this day ) pay out and cause no damage or trouble.

Black-Francis

Which means the community continues to pay the MO and Roads, and STD taxes, no income from our pay of real estate or income tax...all our services contingent on the BOCC. and little of the SHUR and none of the registration fees. Sounds like a plan. Let's open up an amusement park, no enforcement (official powers) and hope an influx of people (in this day ) pay out and cause no damage or trouble.

You have to pay taxes for STD's???? Toppick is going to be broke!

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Jedi2814:

The County has no say over a municipality in Planning and Zoning matters, unless the town defers to it as has happened to an extent in PG County with MNCPPC. If the residents of an area vote to incorporate the County can't say a thing. Where the County comes in is if the town wants to annex past it's original boundaries, the County can throw in some requirements but really can't stop it. Municipal zoning is controlled by Article 66B of the MD Annotated Code which requires municipalities to have planning, zoning and a Board of Zoning Appeals. This is all separate from the County. The town could have the same rules or different ones. Example: Calvert County height limit is around 100 ft. CB conforms to the County height limit (Horizons), North Beach height limit is 50 ft. in commercial and 40 ft. in residential (Baywalk Condos at 50). The County can say nothing about it. One of the areas of conflict between Calvert Cty and CB has been residential growth-if you want to build in unincorporated areas an excise fee has to be paid and the houses can't be built until schools are adequate. Either Town can build however many house it's own zoning supports and the County just has to sit there. NB does require proof of excise tax payment before a building permit is issued, CB does not, or hasn't in the past. All jurisdictions have to follow state laws (Critical Areas for example) but that state umbrella is pretty big as far as what the jurisdictions can do.
You pretty right about Town Centers but they are still in unincorporated areas of the County so that zoning is in effect. You may have separate area plans, design standards, etc. like Solomons and Dunkirk do.

In my opinion the current Commissioners would welcome a CRE incorporation since it would allow them to finally explain to folks that they have no control over the roads. The County contributes ZERO to either Town for streets, streetlights, etc.

North Beach has been incorporated for 100 years, CB a bit longer. One of the complaints in NB is not enough business development. If we would ever meet face to face I would tell you what I really think about that one.

Last edited:
R

residentofcre

Whoa Whoa there bucko.... I'm on your side....I don't want anyone tearing up CRE .... I just wish we could get the benefits without turning into a municipality.... Wishes don't always come true so I am considering both alternatives...

If we become a municipality... Our Board would be able to negotiate a small franchise fee with Comcast, SMECO, Verizon, all the utilities [except CRWC] and if we had the opportunity to be a municipality... a few tourist type businesses [maybe even a restaurant and tiki bar] would create a good tax base...

Just wishing and hoping there buddy.... you're on the Board... you do the planning.... I can sit back and wish now....:dye:

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
A couple things I forgot:
Municipalities get a cut of state income tax from the residents (state sends it, not an increase). Towns also get the piece of County excise tax for recreation. Will get a franchise fee from cable, SMECO (we're BGE), Verizon. Your HOA fees would probably go away because you now have ad valorem property taxes. Your County taxes would go down and would pretty much cover the school system. I don't know whether you can now but you'd be eligible for grants/loans for your water and sewer system, roads, Homeland Security, Community Legacy grants from the State. You can also impose amusement taxes on businesses that have live entertainment. You can limit home occupations, both type of and location and employ a Code Enforcement Officer(s) to take care of violations.

R

residentofcre

I just heard that the last Board cut the spending for the year by $138,000 during the 2007-2008 budget year.

:yahoo::yahoo::dye::dye::yahoo::yahoo:

Now let's see a plan to keep the expenses in check and make the community thrive....

:geek::geek::geek:

johnycarcinogen

I just heard that the last Board cut the spending for the year by $138,000 during the 2007-2008 budget year.

:yahoo::yahoo::dye::dye::yahoo::yahoo:

Now let's see a plan to keep the expenses in check and make the community thrive....

:geek::geek::geek:

What was cut to save that kind of money? Where will the saved money go to benefit the community?

R

residentofcre

What was cut to save that kind of money? Where will the saved money go to benefit the community?

I haven't seen the final audit yet... I know we cut a lot of budget in Admin, while keeping an eye on everything else.

I would love to see the final numbers on the budget lines too!

Maybe they will post the final numbers on www.poacre.org with a budget comparison.... that would be good news for all to see....:dye::dye:

johnycarcinogen

I haven't seen the final audit yet... I know we cut a lot of budget in Admin, while keeping an eye on everything else.

I would love to see the final numbers on the budget lines too!

Maybe they will post the final numbers on www.poacre.org with a budget comparison.... that would be good news for all to see....:dye::dye:

Yes, it would be nice for all CRE members to see...restore a little faith in the place we live.

CREResident

Spend Less on Whales and Attornyes

They should cut out spending money on lawyers to stop the digging of whale skulls out of the cliffs. And money for trespassing signs when CRE has no authority to post such signs because CRE doesn't own the beach below the cliffs, and neither do the homeowners at the top of the cliffs.......

R

residentofcre

Yes it's open to everyone... are you going?:buddies:

ps... for those of you looking for the message ... it's down in the corkboard... thanks again... :coffee:

Last edited by a moderator:

msqtech

Citizen
open meetings

Business of CRE is done in open meetings. All members may attend. But you may not be invited or allowed to speak.

R

residentofcre

Business of CRE is done in open meetings. All members may attend. But you may not be invited or allowed to speak.

Not understanding what you are saying...

"All members may attend. But you may not be invited or allowed to speak."?

Are you telling me I won't be allowed to speak [you really don't want to draw that line] or are you telling me that I must abide by the rules [which I agree with]