Cross/Crucifix

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Roughidle said:
I think everyone should have to dress the same. We could even begin a selective breeding and educational program so everyone looks and thinks the same. If that moves along too slowly we could then start an aggressive euthanization program to get rid of any undesirables. First we need to come up with a cool symbol. Maybe borrow one from ancient pagan society to give it validity. :whistle:

Yeah, the Jewish lawyer would really go for that! :smack:

Toxick

Splat
Nucklesack said:
The test would be whether any other religious follower (Sikh/Hindu) were not allowed to wear their head coverings.
If they werent, but the Jews were, then you'd have a case for discrimination. If they were allowed then you wouldnt.

I disagree.

There is disparate behavior between two groups, and this disparate behavior is based on creed.

Nucklesack said:
Once again if those that follow a belief are mandated to follow the religious practices the Law Firm cant discrimenate. Christians are not mandated to wear the cross, they CHOOSE to.

I still fail to see the difference.

Lemme rephrase. I do see the difference, and I understand the point you're making, but I disagree that this is a valid reason for engaging in discriminatory behavior.

ALL religions are choices.

She chooses to follow Christianity, they choose to follow Judaism.
She is prohibited from displaying a symbol of their faith, they are permitted.

This is a disparity of rules based on religion, and as such it is religious discrimination.

Nucklesack said:
is Paganism a belief? :razz:

As far as I know it is. I've only known one pagan before, and we made it a strict rule not to talk about religion to each other.

Nucklesack said:
Its not discrimination if the lawf irm has a practice to only ban religious items that are not mandated by the followers belief.

I still disagree. If they're going to treat employees differently based on religion, I can't see it as anything but discrimination.

One other thing: I have worked with Jews in the past, and I work with Jews now. I've been to their kids' bar and bat mitvahs, and I've had to wear yarmalukes at their ceremonies, (even though I'm technically not jewish).

However, I don't believe I've ever seen a yarmaluke in the workplace.

I have to wonder how much of a requirement that really is.

Roughidle

Radiant1 said:
Yeah, the Jewish lawyer would really go for that! :smack:
Or...perhaps people could quit being thin skinned, self-righteous nutbars and
stop finding fault and offense in societal diversity. :razz:

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Roughidle said:
Or...perhaps people could quit being thin skinned, self-righteous nutbars and
stop finding fault and offense in societal diversity. :razz:

:lol: You're right! They both need to be forced to sit through a tolerance workshop!

:jameo: That Christian biatch dares wear a cross in my presence, I'm going to tell her to hide it!! :jameo:

:jameo: That Jewish biatch, I'll cry to the higher ups on the pretense of a constitutional violation!! :jameo:

Mrgaritavill

Hail to the Redskins!
Radiant1 said:
It's not like the woman got fired because she was Christian.

Whether or not she was fired has nothing to do with whether or not this case involves discrimination. The laws state that religous groups are a protected class. Therefore, if people of certain religions are allowed to wear religious symbols in the workplace while others are not, it is absolutely a case of descrimination and disparate treatment in the eyes of the law. Whether or not everyone agrees on the fairness of EEOC laws is kind of irrelevant.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Mrgaritavill said:
Whether or not she was fired has nothing to do with whether or not this case involves discrimination. The laws state that religous groups are a protected class. Therefore, if people of certain religions are allowed to wear religious symbols in the workplace while others are not, it is absolutely a case of descrimination and disparate treatment in the eyes of the law. Whether or not everyone agrees on the fairness of EEOC laws is kind of irrelevant.

How detailed does the law get in defining religious symbols? Required, not requried, etc. etc. ?

Mrgaritavill

Hail to the Redskins!
Radiant1 said:
How detailed does the law get in defining religious symbols? Required, not requried, etc. etc. ?

I would be surprised if there were laws specifically about religous jewelry/symbols. There may be, but I havent read anything with specifics on those things. But if there are business policies in place giving certain "protected classes" rights in the workplace that are not awarded to other "protected classes," I would be shocked if, were there a grievance filed, reasonable cause for discrimination were not found.

D

dems4me

I worked for a very predominately Jewish Firm years ago and they never objected to me wearing a cross. The only thing they objected to with the staff was Christmas trees and Christmas music around Christmas time. They would ask you to remove it off your desk if you had anything Christmassy and request that you not play the music where others could hear it. Other than that it was fine and I'm one of the people that like to wear a cross everyday. To me I don't see it as a weapon but a sympol that He has risen. I don't belabor the point and preach or anything like that, I just feel comfortable wearing it. CitySherri, I'm interested to know how this plays out... and if she's looking for a job as a result of being already blackmarked in her first month and not off to a good start, let me know. We are hiring here :smile: PM me if interested and she has skills. She would be working for a VERY orthodox Jewish partner but he doesn't any have "cross/jewlry issues" :smile: That's just one of the positions/assignments, we have several openings. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

citysherry

I Need a Beer
dems4me said:
I worked for a very predominately Jewish Firm years ago and they never objected to me wearing a cross. The only thing they objected to with the staff was Christmas trees and Christmas music around Christmas time. They would ask you to remove it off your desk if you had anything Christmassy and request that you not play the music where others could hear it. Other than that it was fine and I'm one of the people that like to wear a cross everyday. To me I don't see it as a weapon but a sympol that He has risen. I don't belabor the point and preach or anything like that, I just feel comfortable wearing it. CitySherri, I'm interested to know how this plays out... and if she's looking for a job as a result of being already blackmarked in her first month and not off to a good start, let me know. We are hiring here :smile: PM me if interested and she has skills. She would be working for a VERY orthodox Jewish partner but he doesn't any have "cross/jewlry issues" :smile: That's just one of the positions/assignments, we have several openings. :smile:

I have no idea if she is considering looking for another position and this firm is a boutique intellectual property law firm - so not just any legal assistant position would fit.

So far, nothing has "officially" been said from the partnership....if they ignore it maybe it will go away. :jameo:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Mrgaritavill said:
I would be surprised if there were laws specifically about religous jewelry/symbols. There may be, but I havent read anything with specifics on those things. But if there are business policies in place giving certain "protected classes" rights in the workplace that are not awarded to other "protected classes," I would be shocked if, were there a grievance filed, reasonable cause for discrimination were not found.
What exactly is protected under this "protected class"? They didn't deny her employment, they didn't tell her to go home, they didn't even tell her she couldn't wear the necklace, they just asked to put it under her shirt. That really doesn't constitute a hostile work environment does it?? The woman is hysterical over nothing, put the damn thing under your shirt and get to work! OR go find another job where they don't care what you wear or how you look.. "Do you want fries with that??"

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Mrgaritavill said:
I'd be surprised if a Judge didn't laugh in her face and throw her out of his court.