Cross/Crucifix

Roughidle

Midnightrider said:
they didn't discriminate against her, they asked her to keep her religion to herself while representing their business
Sounds like a simple case of a Jew with a mad-on for Christians to me.

Toxick

Splat
SoMDGirl42 said:
Would that be considered discrimination based on religion?

It would be if others were allowed to display their religious paraphernalia at the office.

If nobody else is allowed to, then she shouldn't be allowed to either.

It hasn't been stated that she's been singled about because she's a Christian. Just that they've asked her to tuck her cross away. For all we know, they don't allow hexagrams, menorahs, ankhs, dharma wheels, or ouroboros either.

Mrgaritavill

Hail to the Redskins!
Midnightrider said:
its called, if you are the face of my business, you WILL look they way I think is acceptable.

Again, thats fine as long as that employer's idea of what is "acceptable" does not include allowing members of some religions to display symbols of their religion, while prohibiting others. According to the law, religious groups are a protected class and intentional discrimination to a protected class in a workplace is not legal. I'm not saying that is whats going on in this situation cuz no one has said that the Jewish lawyers are allowed to wear their symbols either, but if it is I'm pretty sure thats basis enough for a law suit as well as a grievance to be filed with the EEOC.

citysherry

I Need a Beer
Toxick said:
It would be if others were allowed to display their religious paraphernalia at the office.

If nobody else is allowed to, then she shouldn't be allowed to either.

It hasn't been stated that she's been singled about because she's a Christian. Just that they've asked her to tuck her cross away. For all we know, they don't allow hexagrams, menorahs, ankhs, dharma wheels, or ouroboros either.

Some male attorneys here wear yarmulkes.

MMDad

Lem Putt
citysherry said:
Some male attorneys here wear yarmulkes.

Sounds like a pretty clear cut case for discrimination. You can't allow some symbols but not others. You'd think a lawyer would know that.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
MMDad said:
Sounds like a pretty clear cut case for discrimination. You can't allow some symbols but not others. You'd think a lawyer would know that.
There is no religion that I am aware of that requires the wearing of a cross pendant, or that it be visible.. the jewish religion, however DOES require the male to wear a doiley on his head.

K

Kain99

My boss is Jewish and I have never known a cooler guy! We talk about religion all the time. I have actually learned so much from him! He knows I'm a Holy Rollin Christian and doesn't care one bit.

I wonder what iss wrong with people.

High EGT

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto
itsbob said:
Why is it necessary for Christians to advertise the fact, why do they need ANY symbology.. Kind of like prayers being in private without other's knowledge.. not in public, or on a soapbox, or rote memory...

I find a cross on a Christian as offensive as a German wearing a gas chamber or an oven as a necklace.

And seeing how the Jews are accused of being the ones that killed Christ, I could understand why a Jew would be offended seeing the murder weapon.

Wow. :shocked: I find your perceptions about this as abstract as they come but still interesting to read.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
High EGT said:
Wow. :shocked: I find your perceptions about this as abstract as they come but still interesting to read.
Think about it.. If Jesus was hung, would all the Christians be wearing nooses around their necks?? I doubt it, so why the cross?

And when did the cross become the "symbol of Christianity"?? I would think the "symbol" would be how you treat your fellow man.. charity.. empathy... etc.. not a cheap token worn as an adornment.

citysherry

I Need a Beer
itsbob said:
There is no religion that I am aware of that requires the wearing of a cross pendant, or that it be visible.. the jewish religion, however DOES require the male to wear a doiley on his head.

Both represent religious devotion and the concealment/visibility of both should be treated equally.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Toxick said:
... I'm well aware of the mechanics of death by crucifixion.
Toxick said:
.... the tree isn't considered the weapon. The hammer and nails are.

Then why post this?

It was not the hammer and nails that killed Jesus, but the crucifix, or the act of crucifixion

Starman3000m

itsbob said:
Why is it necessary for Christians to advertise the fact, why do they need ANY symbology.. Kind of like prayers being in private without other's knowledge.. not in public, or on a soapbox, or rote memory...

I find a cross on a Christian as offensive as a German wearing a gas chamber or an oven as a necklace.

And seeing how the Jews are accused of being the ones that killed Christ, I could understand why a Jew would be offended seeing the murder weapon.

First of all, maybe this lawyers office (like most) employs Vampires - OK?
Vampires have a thing about looking at a cross. Reason understood.

Next: Belief that "The Jews crucified Christ" is a a total misconception. It was the Roman method of exacting the death penalty against anyone accused of sedition (treason) against the Roman Emperor.

The Jewish religious leaders were under Roman rule and not in the jurisdictional position to apply the Jewish penalty for "blasphemy" (because Jesus said He was the Son of God) which would have been stoning the accused.

What the Jewish leaders did was remind the Roman leader Pontius Pilate that Jesus' claim to be a "King" would directly conflict with the authority of Rome. During the customary leniency to release a prisoner condemned to death the choice was between Jesus and Barabus, a robber. The Jewish leaders called for Barabus to be released. The rest is HIStory.

Conclusion: The Cross is A Roman Sign of the Death Penalty. What others make it signify for their ownself is a matter of personal interpretation although the majority of Christians use it as a reminder that Jesus is no longer on the cross but is alive and will return as He said. Still others wear it as a sign that they have their "own cross to carry" although it's a reminder either way of what Jesus went through to be the Saviour of mankind.

God Did For Mankind What Abraham Was Going To Do For God.

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
citysherry said:
Both represent religious devotion and the concealment/visibility of both should be treated equally.
Again, her religion does NOT require her to wear a crucifix.. his however does require him to wear the headpiece.. and good manners prevent a man from wearing a hat indoors to use to conceal it.

MMDad

Lem Putt
itsbob said:

I see. The religious views of the person don't matter. If there isn't a mainstream orthodoxy that directs you to wear something, it just isn't real.

I thought you were sort of an anti-organized religion type. Why the change of heart?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Starman3000m said:
First of all, maybe this lawyers office (like most) employs Vampires - OK?
Vampires have a thing about looking at a cross. Reason understood.

Next: Belief that "The Jews crucified Christ" is a a total misconception. It was the Roman method of exacting the death penalty against anyone accused of sedition (treason) against the Roman Emperor.

The Jewish religious leaders were under Roman rule and not in the jurisdictional position to apply the Jewish penalty for "blasphemy" (because Jesus said He was the Son of God) which would have been stoning the accused.

What the Jewish leaders did was remind the Roman leader Pontius Pilate that Jesus' claim to be a "King" would directly conflict with the authority of Rome. During the customary leniency to release a prisoner condemned to death the choice was between Jesus and Barabus, a robber. The Jewish leaders called for Barabus to be released. The rest is HIStory.

Conclusion: The Cross is A Roman Sign of the Death Penalty. What others make it signify for their ownself is a matter of personal interpretation although the majority of Christians use it as a reminder that Jesus is no longer on the cross but is alive and will return as He said.
And again, if they chose to use a noose, would they wear that weapon of choice around their necks? How about if the decapitated him? A tiny guillotine? Or a BIG axe? A form of execution is still a form of execution.

MMDad

Lem Putt
itsbob said:
Again, her religion does NOT require her to wear a crucifix.. his however does require him to wear the headpiece.. and good manners prevent a man from wearing a hat indoors to use to conceal it.

Isn't the basis of religion the relationship between the person and their chosen deity? Do you know if she feels a need to wear a crucifix based on her own spirituality? Why shouldn't her own rights be protected at the same level as someone who follows the mandates of an organized religion?