Cruise Ship Terminal in Solomons?

BernieP

Resident PIA
If I were on a cruise ship and one of the port stops was Solomons, I'd be pissed

I'll repeat what I posted in the other thread.

The infastructure, the highways in St. Mary's and Calvert could not handle the traffic that would be required to support a cruise ship as you envision it. More than likely they are talking more along the lines of "Smith Island Cruises".

Getting a large ship into to the dock is the least of the problems. Getting the people on and off the ship, along with the logistics to resupply each cruise would make rush hour traffic look tame.

Beta

Smile!
I'll repeat what I posted in the other thread.

The infastructure, the highways in St. Mary's and Calvert could not handle the traffic that would be required to support a cruise ship as you envision it. More than likely they are talking more along the lines of "Smith Island Cruises".

Getting a large ship into to the dock is the least of the problems. Getting the people on and off the ship, along with the logistics to resupply each cruise would make rush hour traffic look tame.

Does "Smith Island Cruises" have ships for 1000 people? That's what the diagram shows. That seems like slightly larger cruise ships, but I agree that smaller ships with non-traditional itineraries would make much more sense.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Does "Smith Island Cruises" have ships for 1000 people? That's what the diagram shows. That seems like slightly larger cruise ships, but I agree that smaller ships with non-traditional itineraries would make much more sense.

I saw that, guess it's part of the drug problem we have in the area. Who ever drew up that plan was smoking crack.
That or they have never been to a cruise ship terminal. The pier is only one aspect. PARKING, ROADS, BUILDINGS - notice they had 2 ships tied up. Go to any port and they have a large building to handle moving passengers and luggage thru. Go to a port that services the larger cruise ships and look at the infastructure that's in place to handle just one ship. Terminals are just like airports, from the roads, to the buildings.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
Once the O'Malley approved wind turbines are put up in the bay the Navy will say screw Maryland and leave. Then they can use the base runway for commercial aircraft and the infrastructure for a port terminal and parking! :sarcasm:

Last edited:

dan0623_2000

The whole thing looks like a typical example of another politically well connected person who starts a corporation and appoints them selves and family members as CEO and board members and then gets a government backed loan to do a project. While the planning and initial building stages are going on the corporation pays the CEO and other board members big bucks. The project goes bankrupt and the tax payers are screwed again.

MMDad

Lem Putt
The beam on these ships would probably prevent fitting between the bridge pylons, thus most of this discussion is moot.

The ships pictured are 1000 feet. That's the size of Panamax liners like the Carnival Miracle, which have a beam of 105'. The clearance at the center of the bridge is 300'.

But the vertical clearance would not work for a ship that size, so it would have to be smaller. Also there has been talk that a replacement bridge will not be as high, so that wouldn't work.

BernieP

Resident PIA
The whole thing looks like a typical example of another politically well connected person who starts a corporation and appoints them selves and family members as CEO and board members and then gets a government backed loan to do a project. While the planning and initial building stages are going on the corporation pays the CEO and other board members big bucks. The project goes bankrupt and the tax payers are screwed again.

this makes more sense than a cruise terminal.
All one would have to do is visit Baltimore, New York, Philadelphia, Port Canaveral, Ft. Lauderdale, Miamia, Seattle, etc.
You have major highways (i.e. Interstates) that feed these terminals, with on / off ramps and access roads to direct traffic to passeneger parking etc.
People don't walk down a pier and climb a ramp. You board much as you do a commercial alirliner. The terminals are large, You need baggage handling, check-in, secority and boarding areas.
It's very impressive that they can pull in a ship at 8AM and have it emptied, cleaned, restocked, boarded and back to sea before 4PM.

BernieP

Resident PIA
The ships pictured are 1000 feet. That's the size of Panamax liners like the Carnival Miracle, which have a beam of 105'. The clearance at the center of the bridge is 300'.

But the vertical clearance would not work for a ship that size, so it would have to be smaller. Also there has been talk that a replacement bridge will not be as high, so that wouldn't work.

what "replecement" bridge. :killingme

FollowTheMoney

This all came about because a short while ago the Navy put out a solicitation to sell, for someone
to purchase and operate the Navy Rec Center. Problem was there really isn't much revenue that
could be generated to cover all the costs. If memory serves.
So I'm guessing this is a creative way for that purchase (sale) to see fruition.

BernieP

Resident PIA
This all came about because a short while ago the Navy put out a solicitation to sell, for someone
to purchase and operate the Navy Rec Center. Problem was there really isn't much revenue that
could be generated to cover all the costs. If memory serves.
So I'm guessing this is a creative way for that purchase (sale) to see fruition.

LOL

I think someone is floating a story full of ship.

I seriously don't see a bank putting up money with the Swiss Cheese business model, but the government, that's a different story.
Wonder how many federal, state and local grants they can get to pull "the deal" together.

FollowTheMoney

Notice of Enhanced Use Lease Opportunity at Navy Recreation

LOL

I think someone is floating a story full of ship.

I seriously don't see a bank putting up money with the Swiss Cheese business model, but the government, that's a different story.
Wonder how many federal, state and local grants they can get to pull "the deal" together.

Come on Bernie... do have faith in a fellow fomunite.

Notice of Enhanced Use Lease Opportunity at Navy Recreation Center Solomons, MD
Solicitation Number: N40080LO10338

Contracting Office:

Department of the Navy, Naval Facilities Engineering Command, Washington, Asset Management (Real Estate)

Project Description:

This opportunity is an Enhanced Use Lease (EUL) at Navy Recreation Center (NRC) Solomons in Solomons, MD. The EUL
is a real estate lease of approximately 264 acres on 4 parcels. The initial lease term shall not exceed 50 years. However,
the Navy may enter into a succeeding lease of the same or similar term conditioned upon the lessee’s satisfactory
performance under the initial lease and if determined by the Navy to be in the Government’s best interest.

Procurement Process:

The Government intends to award the EUL using a two-phased, best value source selection process. Specific source
selection procedures and evaluation criteria shall be documented in the Request for Qualifications (RFQ). Among
other things, the successful Offeror shall:

· Develop a successful, long-term, mutually beneficial business relationship with the Navy;
My emphsis added.

· Maximize the value of the real property within the constraints and restrictions identified by the Navy that
addresses NSF Indian Head’s needs;

· Design and develop the real estate in a manner that is compatible with adjacent Navy uses;

· Execute, operate, and manage the development consistent with best commercial practices; and

· Maintain positive relations with local government authorities and the adjacent communities.

Further, the successful Offeror shall obtain necessary financing, and plan, operate, and manage the
approved development for the term of the lease. The successful Offeror shall provide the Navy cash
and in-kind consideration not less than the fair market value of the Offeror’s leasehold interest in the property.

The Request for Qualifications (RFQ):

A draft Request for Qualifications (RFQ) will be announced on FedBizOpps and published on the U.S. Navy EUL
website in August 2010. The draft RFQ will be for informational purposes only and any response is not an offer.
The draft RFQ will not commit the Government to contract for any services, or pay any costs incurred in
preparation of any submission in response to the draft RFQ. Questions regarding this announcement or the
draft RFQ should be directed to Ms. Christine Calhoon, Asset Management, Naval Facilities Engineering Command,
Washington, 1314 Harwood Street, SE, Building 212, Washington Navy Yard, DC 20374-5018, christine.calhoon@navy.mil.

After release of the draft RFQ but prior to the release of the final RFQ, an industry forum and site visit will be held.
The industry forum will be held on August 26, 2010 at the Holiday Inn Solomons Conference Center & Marina located
at 155 Holiday Drive, Solomons, MD 20688. Only registered attendees will be allowed access to the industry forum
and site visit. Registration will end at 5:00 pm EST on August 20, 2010. The registration fee to attend the forum
and site visit is $100.00 per person.

BernieP

Resident PIA
"Design and develop the real estate in a manner that is compatible with adjacent Navy uses"

So since they have campers there, the developer could turn their seciton into a trailer park?
Prime real estate for a marina developer to grab. A place to park you camper and dock your boat.

dan0623_2000

"Design and develop the real estate in a manner that is compatible with adjacent Navy uses"

So since they have campers there, the developer could turn their seciton into a trailer park?
Prime real estate for a marina developer to grab. A place to park you camper and dock your boat.[/QUOTE

This sounds like another Mrytle Point housing development. Ol' Donald Trump made a huge sum of money off it before his corporation went bankrupt and the county got stuck with the land. At least they made of nice park out of it.

creekman

This another pipe dream of a certain Solomons lawyer. If you think that the Cove Point gas plant created a lot of back lash you have not seen anything yet. The residents of south county will be up in arms over that. Solomons residents will be apoplectic!

SamSpade

I'm surprised. My initial thought was that this was just a half-baked pipe dream, I still don't think it will work, but at least they're thinking of it as an initial launch point to rival Baltimore's cruise ships, and not as a (useless) additional stopping point.

I don't think the Navy Rec are is anywhere near big enough, but I'll follow this.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
There is really no infrastructure to support this. Sure, just add all those thousands of people and cars to the one main road in and out of Calvert county and see what that gets ya.