Cursive Writing

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Did you know they are really not teaching cursive?

Handed my 12 yr old grandson a poem his uncle had written in school, he handed it back and said he couldn't read it. I was floored!

So the Christmas vacation is Cursive 101 with Grandma. Boy, is he mad.

I promised he would know how to write his whole name and how to read cursive by the end of the 2 weeks. Next summer will be fluent writing lessons. He will earn video game time depending on how well he does.

Damn. I can feel my inner nun self grinning. And it's an evil grin.

Where's my ruler?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

Handed my 12 yr old grandson a poem his uncle had written in school, he handed it back and said he couldn't read it. I was floored!

I promised he would know how to write his whole name and how to read cursive by the end of the 2 weeks. Next summer will be fluent writing lessons. He will earn video game time depending on how well he does.

Damn. I can feel my inner nun self grinning. And it's an evil grin.

Where's my ruler?
Yeah if there was a single skill I'd like to learn from my grandma it would be her handwriting. She had the most beautiful copperplate script and liked to show it, if she wrote a letter it would go on for 6-8 pages.

Toxick

Splat

My kids were all mad that I made them learn to:

1) Read a analogue clock
2) Write in cursive.
3) Drive a stick
4) Tie shoelaces

Old boomer (not a boomer) dad making them learn outdated, antiquated and useless ways.

They are all glad I did now.

If nothing else, they know a secret code, have a built in car-theft deterrent and are not stuck using velcro or loafers to nice events.

Tech

1) Read a analogue clock
2) Write in cursive.
3) Drive a stick
4) Tie shoelaces

Old boomer (not a boomer) dad making them learn outdated, antiquated and useless ways.

If nothing else, they know a secret code, have a built in car-theft deterrent and are not stuck using velcro or loafers to nice events.
Add a tie to go with the shoelaces.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member

1) Read a analogue clock
2) Write in cursive.
3) Drive a stick
4) Tie shoelaces

Rotatory phone

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
My boys know. At least a single-windsor.

The double windsors is still a work in progress, and usually looks like a pile of fabric with a tie sticking out of it.
I never quite got the bow tie.
Still drive a stick.
Isn't tying a shoelace kind of mandatory for a toddler?
Learned cursive writing, but reverted back to printing because I couldn't read my own script.

Toxick

Splat
I never quite got the bow tie.
Still drive a stick.
Isn't tying a shoelace kind of mandatory for a toddler?
Learned cursive writing, but reverted back to printing because I couldn't read my own script.

I dunno, I see 20 somethings running around with velcro on their shoes.

At least most of them don't flash blue and red while they walk.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I dunno, I see 20 somethings running around with velcro on their shoes.
I wore velco sneaks for a long time because I couldn't bend down to tie them. But that's a choice. I learned to tie shoes with my first Stride Rites.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I do kinda wish they lit up tho.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Sometimes I'm like, what's the point of teaching cursive, nobody writes in it anymore. Other times I see new gen's handwriting and it's so damn awful. But the reality is teachers are forced to focus on getting these kids through basics of reading and mathematics in levels so below them, cursive is a non-essential.

I'm not one to assume public school will teach my child all the essentials so I do plan to make sure he has nice handwriting, at minimum it will be basic and legible. But reading comprehension is more important. True cursive is just a skill at this point.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
And for those curious, this is the writing that started Cursive Class. Nuns have zero sense of humor. My oldest son, probably 7th grade, just starting to hunt.
1110232111~3.jpg

Had he showed it to his mother before turning it in, I could have helped with his spelling. I think it's a pretty great, imaginative poem.