Cursive Writing

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Sometimes I'm like, what's the point of teaching cursive, nobody writes in it anymore. Other times I see new gen's handwriting and it's so damn awful. But the reality is teachers are forced to focus on getting these kids through basics of reading and mathematics in levels so below them, cursive is a non-essential.

I'm not one to assume public school will teach my child all the essentials so I do plan to make sure he has nice handwriting, at minimum it will be basic and legible. But reading comprehension is more important. True cursive is just a skill at this point.
I remember school, they taught math, reading, writing, history, civics, we even learned sex ed. If the kids can’t keep up, keep them back. Eventually being 15 in the sixth grade because you can’t read to that grade level should shame them into learning.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I write in cursive all the time, at least once a day. I'm looking at my grocery list and to-do lists right now - cursive.
I have a kind of mish mash of writing and printing that I use for everyday note taking. If I have to make something legible I have to print small. I can write, but I have a problem with keeping the text a consistent size.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Having survived 8 years of Catholic grade school, people always told me I write like a nun! When I write anything now, it is a mix of cursive and printing and having arthritis in my fingers has definitely affected my penmanship. But when I sign my name in cursive, it is always neat and nun like. I am proud of my name and who I am and cannot see scribbling something ineligible. I have more respect for myself than that! And I have complimented a lot of customers that do the same. Of course, a majority of them are "older" like me!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have a kind of mish mash of writing and printing that I use for everyday note taking.

My cursive is half printing too. My boss marvels at my penmanship and how I can do long lines of handwriting on a plain sheet of paper and it's all in a straight line without slanting up or down. :lol:

My super power! :diva:

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I remember school, they taught math, reading, writing, history, civics, we even learned sex ed. If the kids can’t keep up, keep them back. Eventually being 15 in the sixth grade because you can’t read to that grade level should shame them into learning.
I don't disagree, but some of you may recall No Child Left Behind act, that was pushed out by the Bush administration? This has essentially snowballed into No Child shall be kept back no matter how dumb or awful. Teachers have their hands tied with most of that. They're expected to pass every kid no matter what.

black dog

Free America
My son graduated Chopicon in 99, they didn't teach him cursive at Lettie Dent. His mother taught him at home.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I don't disagree, but some of you may recall No Child Left Behind act, that was pushed out by the Bush administration? This has essentially snowballed into No Child shall be kept back no matter how dumb or awful. Teachers have their hands tied with most of that. They're expected to pass every kid no matter what.
What, in my mind, snowballed was that the schools that couldn't meet the standards worked more to avoid losing funding then helping the students meet the standards. It was the people that controlled the school systems that did the damage, not the law. That is until the follow on concepts like Common Core and the Every Student Succeeds act that replaced the NCLB.

somdwatch

I'm not sure why cursive became a thing in the first place. That would be something to look up when I get some time and think about it.

But honestly, teachers today are struggling to get kids to reading and math proficiency but back in my day, sonny, the teacher not only taught us that stuff (and we came out better educated) but she also had time to teach us cursive writing and other niceties. So what are these teachers doing with their time that they can't accomplish what their predecessors could?

I understand it's not always the teacher's fault - it's the bureaucracy with their garbage - but I also see those psycho bitches on TikTok who clearly have plenty of time to teach "their kids" political bullshit that turns them into raging racists and misogynists. And they're usually from areas that have the dumbest most uneducated kids. We're raising a generation of dolts.
It's unfortunate, that our schools have to follow what Dept of Education puts out as curriculum.

The federal govt has not idea what Leonardtown vs Great Mills students need as a community. Expand that out to Charles County and the case cane be made to get rid of DOE.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
What, in my mind, snowballed was that the schools that couldn't meet the standards worked more to avoid losing funding then helping the students meet the standards. It was the people that controlled the school systems that did the damage, not the law. That is until the follow on concepts like Common Core and the Every Student Succeeds act that replaced the NCLB.
So this sounds like some very good reasons for eliminating the DOE. Not every school is going to get better, but some succeeding is better than none succeeding.

DaSDGuy

No Child Left Behind had a focus on high-stakes testing and the pressure on schools to raise test scores. The teachers complained about the hard work they were required to do so the liberals changed it to the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA). That is how we get every kid passing even if they don't go to class.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
No Child Left Behind had a focus on high-stakes testing and the pressure on schools to raise test scores. The teachers complained about the hard work they were required to do so the liberals changed it to the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA). That is how we get every kid passing even if they don't go to class.
That's what I meant by saying NCLB "snowballed" into what we have now. That was exactly my point. NCLB was always well intentioned but poorly executed, and several restructurings on standards have happened in response, and now we have a much larger issue in the DOE than ever before.

@my-thyme as a former Catholic-school-educated kid when cursive was still mandatory, I think it's great you're willing to ensure your grands, at minimum, have legible handwriting. It is important. Just maybe not Nun-standards-essential :lol:

DaSDGuy

That's what I meant by saying NCLB "snowballed" into what we have now. That was exactly my point. NCLB was always well intentioned but poorly executed, and several restructurings on standards have happened in response, and now we have a much larger issue in the DOE than ever before.

@my-thyme as a former Catholic-school-educated kid when cursive was still mandatory, I think it's great you're willing to ensure your grands, at minimum, have legible handwriting. It is important. Just maybe not Nun-standards-essential :lol:
At least NCLB educated the kids enough to pass the tests. Since that was obviously racist they changed to just pass the kids without requiring them to do anything at all.