Cursive Writing

SamSpade

How will kids SIGN THEIR NAME?

Granted, one of my children is cognitively impaired and will always print his signature, but - damn.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm not sure why cursive became a thing in the first place. That would be something to look up when I get some time and think about it.

But honestly, teachers today are struggling to get kids to reading and math proficiency but back in my day, sonny, the teacher not only taught us that stuff (and we came out better educated) but she also had time to teach us cursive writing and other niceties. So what are these teachers doing with their time that they can't accomplish what their predecessors could?

I understand it's not always the teacher's fault - it's the bureaucracy with their garbage - but I also see those psycho bitches on TikTok who clearly have plenty of time to teach "their kids" political bullshit that turns them into raging racists and misogynists. And they're usually from areas that have the dumbest most uneducated kids. We're raising a generation of dolts.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I'm not sure why cursive became a thing in the first place. That would be something to look up when I get some time and think about it.

But honestly, teachers today are struggling to get kids to reading and math proficiency but back in my day, sonny, the teacher not only taught us that stuff (and we came out better educated) but she also had time to teach us cursive writing and other niceties. So what are these teachers doing with their time that they can't accomplish what their predecessors could?

I understand it's not always the teacher's fault - it's the bureaucracy with their garbage - but I also see those psycho bitches on TikTok who clearly have plenty of time to teach "their kids" political bullshit that turns them into raging racists and misogynists. And they're usually from areas that have the dumbest most uneducated kids. We're raising a generation of dolts.
You answered your own question.

Plus it takes time to teach them how to be a well groomed, emotionally wrought, trans-pan-gender-fluid marxist.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I dropped cursive writing in about 1981-82 when I took my first COBOL programming course at good old Chuck County Community College.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

The origins of the cursive method are associated with practical advantages of writing speed and infrequent pen-lifting to accommodate the limitations of the quill. Quills are fragile, easily broken, and will spatter unless used properly. They also run out of ink faster than most contemporary writing utensils. Steel dip pens followed quills; they were sturdier, but still had some limitations. The individuality of the provenance of a document (see Signature) was a factor also, as opposed to machine font.[4] Cursive was also favoured because the writing tool was rarely taken off the paper. The term cursive derives from Middle French cursif from Medieval Latin cursivus, which literally means 'running'. This term in turn derives from Latin currere ('to run, hasten').[5] Although by the 2010s, the use of cursive appeared to be on the decline, as of 2019 it seemed to be coming back into use.[6]

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I always expect "cursive" to have far more colorful words in it.

Loper

Animal Poor!
I write in cursive all the time, at least once a day. I'm looking at my grocery list and to-do lists right now - cursive.
I was just getting to write the same! I write in cursive for everything unless it's to print my name on a document. I would never have even thought about it until this thread. LOL

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
That's what calligraphy is for.
I had an Uncle that was a Graphics Artist for a magazine publisher. He used to write like that with one of a half-dozen styluses he had.

Looks good but way too much effort in it.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I had an Uncle that was a Graphics Artist for a magazine publisher. He used to write like that with one of a half-dozen styluses he had.

Looks good but way too much effort in it.
My sister used to do it. Me = no patience. Half the time anymore, my signature looks totally retarded since I hardly ever write much anymore. I have to practice. :lol:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
IMG_5041.jpeg

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Cursive (AKA penmanship) used to be taught and graded. It was dropped in 2010 from Common Core standards.