damn, air raid sirens!!!

duzzey

Please, can somebody tell me what those cot- dayum sirens are for that blair off all day long in lex park?. Last night, they went off at 12am and 530am. Does anybody know what they are for? Don't say they are testing cause theres no need to test everyday all day!!

Elle

Happy Camper!
Are you talking about the fire alarm sirens or the ones for the power plant??? Or do you even know what you are talking about?

CowGirlUp

Yeee hawww
Originally posted by duzzey
Please, can somebody tell me what those cot- dayum sirens are for that blair off all day long in lex park?. Last night, they went off at 12am and 530am. Does anybody know what they are for? Don't say they are testing cause theres no need to test everyday all day!!

Its the fire alarm....not air raids!! I live right beside a fire alarm...the alarm is probably not quite 100 feet from my bedroom. You will get use to it...you wont even hear it.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Originally posted by kwillia
Can you hear the power plant sirens in Lex Park...:confused:

I would hope so:shrug:
Wildewood is at risk but 5 miles down the street in Lex Park is not:shrug:

Elle

Happy Camper!
Fire Alarm just sounded in Leonardtown! Can someone please let me know when it is safe to come out from under my desk?

Elle

Happy Camper!
Originally posted by kwillia
Can you hear the power plan sirens in Wildwood...:shrug:

Yes, well, I haven't but they did just spend $$$$$$$$$$$ installing new sirens in Hollywood and Wildewood, along with all of the other at risk locations.

CowGirlUp

Yeee hawww
Originally posted by tys_mommy
Yes, well, I haven't but they did just spend $$$$$$$$$$$ installing new sirens in Hollywood and Wildewood, along with all of the other at risk locations.

You can come out now!!! :roflmao: I promise everything is ok!!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Aren't the fire alarm/air raid sirens the same. It's all in the duration and characteristics of the tone.

one short blast - rescue squad
two short blasts - fire
three short blasts - fire, mutual aide
3 to 5 minute continuous tone - natural disaster
3 to 5 minute wavering tone - attack

K

Kain99

Back in the day The Civil Defense and Fire Alert sirens were the same. If the Siren Wails.... It's alerting Fire and Rescue. If the sirens Blast continually it indicates an emergency at the plant or an air raid. :wink:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I get to listen to the sirens in Solomons, ALL night long.. think it's ridiculous with today's technology that they still insist on using the siren. At least don't use it at 2 AM.. I was fishing last year on the Navy Rec Center Dock.. guys beeper goes off, he responds to an ambulance call, 3 or 4 minutes later the firehouse siren goes off.. what's the point? The beeper was a lot less intrusive, AND worked!

Elle

Happy Camper!
Originally posted by itsbob
At least don't use it at 2 AM..

Not to offend you, but I bet you would be the same person on here complaining when your home burns up b/c no one showed up from the firehouse:ohwell:

K

Kain99

When I lived in the Park I stopped hearing the sirens after a while. They just became backgound noise and I didn't even notice them.

Warron

Aren't they just a carry over from when they used to summon the volunteer fireman to the firehouse. That is what the siren was used for in my home town in PA at least. They seem pretty useless anymore. The fireman all have radio's and pagers now and most don't live anywhere close enough to hear the things.

Considering the firetrucks leave about 5 seconds after the siren goes off, they definitely are not summoning anyone to the firehouse. Someone I work with thought it might be just to warn those who live near the firehouse that emergency vehicles would be on the street in a few minutes, but it seems like they could find a quieter way. Especially at 2 am.

CowGirlUp

Yeee hawww
Originally posted by Ken King
Aren't the fire alarm/air raid sirens the same. It's all in the duration and characteristics of the tone.

one short blast - rescue squad
two short blasts - fire
three short blasts - fire, mutual aide
3 to 5 minute continuous tone - natural disaster
3 to 5 minute wavering tone - attack

One long blast - Rescue Squad
Three short blast - Fire Department
12 Short Blast - @ 12 o'clock first Saturday of each month

CowGirlUp

Yeee hawww
Originally posted by Warron
[B
Considering the firetrucks leave about 5 seconds after the siren goes off, they definitely are not summoning anyone to the firehouse. Someone I work with thought it might be just to warn those who live near the firehouse that emergency vehicles would be on the street in a few minutes, but it seems like they could find a quieter way. Especially at 2 am. [/B]

Actually the Fire Alarms are used alot....not always is there someone at the firehouse. Some volunteers dont carry pagers....so the siren is used. And most firefighters do live within a hearing range of the siren.

Elle

Happy Camper!
I don’t think all departments work the same but I think most only give out pagers, which operate on similar frequencies at the Nextel phones and we all know how great the coverage area is with those. Also most volunteers have to earn their pagers, the new guy just doesn't show up and get one automatically. I think the alarms are like a back up system.