damn, air raid sirens!!!

Warron

Originally posted by CowGirlUp
I cant even hear the Lex Park siren go off...I think there is something wrong with it. Cause I could be at Arbys....and still couldnt really hear it all that well. And no its not because I cant hear... :bubble:

I've heard it many times when I was driving by at noon or there was a fire call when I was driving by. It was always just as loud as the one on chancelors run. My office is less then one mile down great mills from it as well, yet I have never heard the siren while at work.

CowGirlUp

Yeee hawww
Originally posted by Warron
I've heard it many times when I was driving by at noon or there was a fire call when I was driving by. It was always just as loud as the one on chancelors run. My office is less then one mile down great mills from it as well, yet I have never heard the siren while at work.

Bay Districts siren has a different tone/pitch to it too. Cause it doesnt sound like LFVD or HVFD's.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
I'm fairly certain that, because of the surrounding residential area, MVFD doesn't sound their alarm after 11 during the week. Could be wrong though, can anyone confirm or deny?

Elle

Happy Camper!
Originally posted by Ehesef
I'm fairly certain that, because of the surrounding residential area, MVFD doesn't sound their alarm after 11 during the week. Could be wrong though, can anyone confirm or deny?

:shrug: but the stations/departments themselves don't sound the alarm, they are all wired to a central unit at fireboard, I think.

Last edited:

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Originally posted by tys_mommy
:shrug: but the stations/departments themselves don't sound the alarm, they are all wired to a central unit at fireboard.
Then that would prove me wrong....thanks for clearing that up! :biggrin:

I didn't understand why MVFD would be the only dept. to do that anyway...

Elle

Happy Camper!
Then that would prove me wrong....thanks for clearing that up! :biggrin:

No, I'm not saying you are wrong just that I don't know. But the stations do not sound their own alarms.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
No, I'm not saying you are wrong just that I don't know. But the stations do not sound their own alarms.
Well, I must be because I can't see the fireboard doing that for only one station. Doesn't make sense.

duzzey

So let me get this right. When a fire is reported, a central office computer sounds alarms at the surrounding VFDs which activate the loud air-raid sounding alarms. Is this the norm for all MD counties? Or is it just this one. The reason I say this is that there are better communications solutions that would be more effective in first response then ringing a cow-bell. What do you guys think?

CowGirlUp

Yeee hawww
:shrug: but the stations/departments themselves don't sound the alarm, they are all wired to a central unit at fireboard, I think.

The tones are dropped and sirens set off for all stations @ the Emergency Control Center by the District Court house in Leonardtown...

Last edited:

CowGirlUp

Yeee hawww
Originally posted by duzzey
So let me get this right. When a fire is reported, a central office computer sounds alarms at the surrounding VFDs which activate the loud air-raid sounding alarms. Is this the norm for all MD counties? Or is it just this one. The reason I say this is that there are better communications solutions that would be more effective in first response then ringing a cow-bell. What do you guys think?

I think you are a tard cause we have already explained why the sirens are sounded a hundred times in this thread..... :poorbaby: Its ok though....

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
I think it goes like this:

The call is received at 911. They put the call out through the radio(scanner) and then the pagers go off. The siren is then sounded by the ECC.

I could be wrong, but this is the way I always interpreted it.

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
Many evenings on my way home through Dunkirk I get serenaded by the sirens posted out by route 4. I think its helpful since the firehouse is over the hill and it acts like a warning not to block the intersection because a 30 ton tanker is gonna come blasting through real soon!

duzzey

Originally posted by CowGirlUp
I think you are a tard cause we have already explained why the sirens are sounded a hundred times in this thread..... :poorbaby: Its ok though....

Well you are a tard for taking this so personal. YOU NEED to get a life! I was just reiterating how stupid that system is. Obviously you don't read beyond a first grade level which means you understand the surface of things at best. Have a nice day! tard.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Well you are a tard for taking this so personal. YOU NEED to get a life! I was just reiterating how stupid that system is. Obviously you don't read beyond a first grade level which means you understand the surface of things at best. Have a nice day! tard.
Her name is Heather Goodard.
And she has one with Bucky.

CowGirlUp

Yeee hawww

:roflmao: Calm down...lord have mercy. I was joking with you!!!

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Wow. I don't understand how you can accuse her of taking things personal when you are the one freaking out over here, but do what you gotta do I guess.

Anyway, back to the point at hand. Why is the system stupid? You call 911, they put the fire call out to the pagers and scanners and then sound the alarms. Where do you see the problem? And more importantly, where do you see them relying solely on a "cow-bell?" Which, I must say, is an absurdly incorrect term for the siren system.

SuperGrover

jack of all trades
I say that we all petition to increase the property tax to get permanent firefighters so we all don't have to put up with the #%$@ sirens!:cheers:

SuperGrover

jack of all trades
I say that we all petition to increase the property tax to get permanent firefighters so we all don't have to put up with the #%$@ sirens!

CowGirlUp

Yeee hawww
where do you see them relying solely on a "cow-bell?" Which, I must say, is an absurdly incorrect term for the siren system.
:spittingwateroutofmymouth: :killingme