damn, air raid sirens!!!

CowGirlUp

Yeee hawww
Originally posted by tys_mommy
I don’t think all departments work the same but I think most only give out pagers, which operate on similar frequencies at the Nextel phones and we all know how great the coverage area is with those. Also most volunteers have to earn their pagers, the new guy just doesn't show up and get one automatically. I think the alarms are like a back up system.

:yeahthat:

SuperGrover

jack of all trades
Yes, vehicles typically leave within few seconds of the siren, but usually, another group leaves within five minutes... probably the backup.

Again, this area has an all volunteer fire department. Now, if we are willing to pay more taxes, we could get rid of the sirens.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Another thing to mention too is I'm sure the sirens were there before you, which means you should have known what you were getting into when you bought your home.

SuperGrover

jack of all trades
In all fairness, most people from the city don't know about these sirens or lookout for them. I didn't.

The first time I drove down here form D.C., the siren at the Hollywood VFD went off just as I was driving by. Scared me and my wife to death!

It took a while before we figured out that it was for the fire department.

The noise will become background noise after a while. It's almost like living near the airport and after some time, the jet noise doesn't bother you anymore (maybe it's because you've lost your hearing!). :biggrin:

CowGirlUp

Yeee hawww
Originally posted by SuperGrover
The noise will become background noise after a while. It's almost like living near the airport and after some time, the jet noise doesn't bother you anymore (maybe it's because you've lost your hearing!). :biggrin:

Yeah...you get use to it. I dont even hear it anymore...doesnt wake me up out of a dead sleep. At first it was horrible though....I heard it every time!!! :burning:

Voter2002

"Fill your hands you SOB!
The sirens still have a function in life....

1. Not everyone gets a pager right off as soon as they join.
2. No spare pagers are available, so when one goes out for repair, they listen up for the station siren if they live close enough.
3. The trucks may get out within a few seconds, but usually more than one is due to respond and the siren is used to summon personnel to get the other equipment out.
4. Pagers run on batteries and need to be charged up at times. Sometimes the pager is in the charger inside and people working outside or on their car are alerted to a call by hearing the station siren.

Until everyone is willing to double or triple their fire tax to support a fully paid department, sirens will remain in use to summon the volunteers to the station to assist YOU in your time of need.

Instead of complaining about the siren going off while you are snuggled under the covers, think about why the department is being summoned and think about the people who are hurting or are having their worldly possessions being burned up or the kid trapped in their bedroom by a fire.

Sorry everyone - I step down off my soapbox for now....:biggrin:

The big sirens for the nuc plant are placed within a 10-mile arc (as the crow flies) of Calvert Cliffs - take a look inside your phone book (inside back cover usually) for that area for their sirens.

CowGirlUp

Yeee hawww
No one was really complaining here about the sirens.... I think they were just curious as why they still use them.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Originally posted by duzzey
Please, can somebody tell me what those cot- dayum sirens are for that blair off all day long in lex park?. Last night, they went off at 12am and 530am. Does anybody know what they are for? Don't say they are testing cause theres no need to test everyday all day!!

Sounds like a complaint to me:shrug:

Warron

Actually, I don't really care that much, but I don't think you would need to double or triple the taxes to buy a few more pagers. And I still don't believe that any significant amount of the firemen live close enough to hear the things.

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
Originally posted by Warron
Actually, I don't really care that much, but I don't think you would need to double or triple the taxes to buy a few more pagers. And I still don't believe that any significant amount of the firemen live close enough to hear the things.

Maybe we could give a tax break to Verizon or some other pager company to provide as many pagers as emergency folks need? The sirens don't bug me much, but if we can get the word out faster and more effectively to get the gang to their trucks, why not?

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
I live in an area where I am about 5 to 10 miles from each Siren (Hollywood's and Leonardtown's). I can hear both and just have to listen to which side of the house the sound is coming from. They don't bother me. I lived with a fireman before moving in with my bf and he used the siren before he got his pager. If he was outside and couldn't hear the scanner (talk about annoying, that damn thing never shut up), the siren alerted him to the call. If you live near one, you will eventually get used to it. If it were your house on fire, wouldn't you want as many men and pieces there as they could get, instead of just those who have a pager?

CowGirlUp

Yeee hawww

I live next to the Leonardtown Fire Department...and I know of at least 10 firefighters that live with in 2 mintues of the firehouse.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
And I still don't believe that any significant amount of the firemen live close enough to hear the things.
Where I live is five miles by road (3 by direct line) to the firehouse in Leonardtown, we have several volunteers living down our way and yes I can hear the siren all the way at my house, just as I can hear when 7th District goes off. Many of the daytime respondees work in town and they certainlly hear it when it goes off.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
And I still don't believe that any significant amount of the firemen live close enough to hear the things.
Then you don't know what you are talking about. In the HVFD, all members must live in the first due area, the same in MVFD, I think. Most of the HVFD members I know live within a 5 to 10 mile radius of the firehouse. The same with LVFD. Many of the LVFD members live within 2 miles or less of the firehouse.

Elle

Happy Camper!

Until recently (and some may still) most (I think probably all) departments had a line in their bylaws that stated to be a member you had to live in the first due area (theoretically within a 10 mile radius).

Warron

Originally posted by Ehesef
I live in an area where I am about 5 to 10 miles from each Siren (Hollywood's and Leonardtown's).

You must have good hearing. I used to live only one mile from the lexington park fire house and never heard the siren once. I only hear the siren now because I live across the road from the firehouse on chancelors run behind sheetz.

CowGirlUp

Yeee hawww
You must have good hearing. I used to live only one mile from the lexington park fire house and never heard the siren once. I only hear the siren now because I live across the road from the firehouse on chancelors run behind sheetz.

I cant even hear the Lex Park siren go off & I work on Willows Rd....I think there is something wrong with it. Cause I could be at Arbys....and still couldnt really hear it all that well. And no its not because I cant hear... :bubble:

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
I can't say that I've ever heard Lex Pk's go off. I know that they play the scanner over the loudspeaker, so maybe that has something to do with it? Anybody a member or married to a member of BD that can answer?