Darn buzzards

frequentflier

happy to be living
That is very nice of you to offer :huggy: I don't have wired power to the shed but, I have long enough outdoor extension cords if needed. Dumb question though - if I did a web cam would it increase my "upload" limit that wildblue imposes on me? They are real dictators when that limit is reached.

PayPal? :lol: I hadn't thought of that! I don't know if the web cam and my third world internet connection will work. Will research.

Oh the missing partner was back today for a bit, we disturbed them when showing the farrier our new livestock. They sat up on a nearby tree branch to watch us and they were actually cuddling and spooning with each other. :huggy:
I believe it was the male setting on eggs this morning - I believe he is the one that barks at us. The female hisses at us. OR it's vice versa!
:lol:
What is really cool about this whole thing is there has not been one other buzzard hanging around trying to roost along the pasture. :yahoo: Do they mark their territory? I have seen them hop after ravens in the paddock area also.

We can donate some food ....in a weird kind of way, I find this fascinating!

Katelin

one day the dark will end
Go Global...

Prep...go to Face Book and set up a page for your vultures, upload photos and all that....you will be amazed at the number of people you will attract...and have them donate to PayPal to support the uplink...and watch the eggs hatch...that would be so cool!!!

Check out Lily the black bear....

PrepH4U

We can donate some food ....in a weird kind of way, I find this fascinating!

:huggy: That is so nice of you, but we really do not need donations. I myself find this fascinating.
Prep...go to Face Book and set up a page for your vultures, upload photos and all that....you will be amazed at the number of people you will attract...and have them donate to PayPal to support the uplink...and watch the eggs hatch...that would be so cool!!!

Check out Lily the black bear....

Katelin that is a great idea, but I don't really want to make money off of this. Besides the money would not help with the uplink if wildblue shuts me down to dial up speed for exceeding my upload limit. Wildblue is the only internet I can get besides a mobil card and they also have upload limits which kinda sucks. BUT if I didn't live in BFE I wouldn't be able to witness this cool experience.

UPDATE - Buzzards have managed to keep my cats away from their own food and shelter. We wondered if that was happening - whenever we went out to feed the horses, our cats would come scrambling in to eat. I guess they figured once we scared the buzzard out it was safe to eat. So we have now set up an additional feeding area for the cats but they do not seem to keen on the whole idea as they have eaten in the same spot for over 8 years. PLUS
our chickens have now found the additional cat food station. See our chickens have our cats trained and they know to scram when they come around. Must suck to be the low man on the totem pole! :lol:
My one cat is so hungry and stubborn he was trying to eat some horse pellets when we were feeding. :eek:hmy: The additional feeding station is under a covered shelter and they could also sleep there but they will have none of it! I guess I don't have to worry about the cats bothering the hatchlings anymore as they have already been evicted from their home! :lol:
Also more news - we will not have to worry about the buzzards bothering my 3 chickens. We had an encounter with a stand off, as I was telling hubby to go shoo the one hen away as I was afraid for her safety. Big mean azzed hen decided to take care of the threat and chased the buzzard around the paddock area. Just imagine a buzzard twice the size hopping and running away from a wild flapping chicken, was quite the site! Buzzard finally flew up into a nearby tree. :lol:
If anyone has an idea on how to use a web cam or post video without exceeding my bandwith limit I am all ears.

PrepH4U

Update? Anything new and exciting happening??

Sorry I have been lazy with updates! Nothing much new, momma is not afraid of us any more when we get the hay. She will stay on the nest and just watch us. Here are some pics from around the 23rd when she was still a little leary of us. She only hisses at us occasionally now and that is because I talk to her. I don't think she likes to be called momma! :lol:

Not sure if the old man is around all the time, but it is hard to tell them apart! Cats have finally gotten used to eating in their new area. During the storm it was pretty sad watching them run under the hay shed to stay out of the rain.
They are used to nice soft hay to lay on in a protected area to dine and sleep. They sure are troopers to put up with all of this. But on the good side we have been feeding a stray cat for years and he was finally hungry enough to come close to the house to eat. We still have to pretend that we don't see him though when he is crouching low to the ground. :lol: I have learned that the hi kitty greeting is not tolerated!

Attachments

• mama with eggs 042310.jpg
    mama with eggs 042310.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 176
  • mama on divider 04 23 10.jpg
    mama on divider 04 23 10.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 171
  • mama with horses 42310.jpg
    mama with horses 42310.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 172

PrepH4U

Ok momma buzzard (I think) is starting to get "real" serious about her nest. Who knew that they can growl? :lol: We had to get some things arranged in her room and I think we have totally stirred up her pms! She growls and hisses at hubby when he gets hay. I had to hay for a bit by myself as hubby was out of town, we had to stack extra hay in "her" room to make it easier for me we could not see each other which was cool! I was scared to death that she jump up scare me. She behaved!

We seem to be missing the shift changes if it is happening. I really think she has been deserted. She is not going out and stretching or eating. We have locked the cat door and have cat food in there for her. She hasn't even touched it. Next Monday will be the 30th day... count down begins!

PrepH4U

Day 31 nothing to report. The time must be getting close, she will not leave her nest at all. She has perfected her growl, and it is a little intimidating! :lol:
She is not even getting up to eat the cat food which is across the room, so we put a couple of pieces of steak next to her nest last night for her. She had eaten two of the pieces today. I know I shouldn't feed her but I just felt bad for her not being able to leave and go eat. I sure wish I would see the mate around.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Day 31 nothing to report. The time must be getting close, she will not leave her nest at all. She has perfected her growl, and it is a little intimidating! :lol:
She is not even getting up to eat the cat food which is across the room, so we put a couple of pieces of steak next to her nest last night for her. She had eaten two of the pieces today. I know I shouldn't feed her but I just felt bad for her not being able to leave and go eat. I sure wish I would see the mate around.

You're such a softie!! :whistle:

Katelin

one day the dark will end

Awe...you are a good "dad" :buddies:

Keep us posted!!!!

PrepH4U

Awe...you are a good "dad" :buddies:

Keep us posted!!!!

Katelin I am not doing wrong by feeding her? :shrug:
She is very hungry, ate her other two pieces today. Hubby took 4 more pieces out this afternoon and she "politely" growled and hissed at him. :lol: He closed the door and watched through a crack and she was already gobbling them down.
I don't want to spoil/ruin her BUT I don't want to see her instinct to hatch the eggs overide her well being either. Who knows maybe this is the Dad and not the Mom! I do know I will not try to find out!
Please advise.

PrepH4U

Day 37 - those eggs should be hatching anyday now! According to info anywhere from 30 - 40 days. Old man was around this weekend. While Mom was drinking out of horse water tank he sat up in a tree and watched the shed. We watched them cuddle on a branch, after they both stretched their wings for a bit. Kinda neat! I don't think he brought her anything to eat though as she started taking the meat from us before we even closed the door yesterday, no growl no hiss.
Hatching must be happening somewhere around as I have been seeing pairs of buzzards starting to circle around, must be looking for food. My buzzard best be getting serious and hatch those suckers! :lol:

PrepH4U

:yahoo::yahoo:
We have one baby on day 40, so I expect the other tomorrow seeing it was plopped out a day later. Tried to get a picture, whenever the baby would try to sneak out she would hiss at it and try to cower over it. Pics not good will try later, have to run out for a bit. Will try later! :yahoo:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
:yahoo::yahoo:
We have one baby on day 40, so I expect the other tomorrow seeing it was plopped out a day later. Tried to get a picture, whenever the baby would try to sneak out she would hiss at it and try to cower over it. Pics not good will try later, have to run out for a bit. Will try later! :yahoo:

:yahoo:

How exciting!! Congrats!!! I can't wait to see pictures of Nomo's new little sibling. :yay: