Darn buzzards

Katelin

one day the dark will end
Picture of Buzzy from Saturday. Ardy was hiding behind a container. They are moving around alot now, everyday we find them someplace new. They are decorating by whitewashing the whole area :ohwell: I see buying a lot of clorex in our future :whistle:

No....bleach wont get rid of poop ... we use a belt sander......and repaint w/ white paint.
Something in the birds urine makes it impossible to bleach out....
Best is to rinse/scrub off poop on a daily basis.....have fun!!!:buddies:

And a slingshot loaded with ice cubes makes for a fun family event in the afternoon!!!:killingme

PrepH4U

:whistle:
buzzard update?
How are they doing, Prep?

NP I just went out and took a picture of the lil darlings! :lol:

No....bleach wont get rid of poop ... we use a belt sander......and repaint w/ white paint.
Something in the birds urine makes it impossible to bleach out....
Best is to rinse/scrub off poop on a daily basis.....have fun!!!:buddies:

And a slingshot loaded with ice cubes makes for a fun family event in the afternoon!!!:killingme

Hey Katelin thanks for the warning! :lol: If I would have known how nasty their disposition was I think I would have evicted them at egg stage! :lol:
We actually we have plans to tear down all the walls and replace, along with the wood platform and pallets. They are in the destructive stage now, starting to tear apart anything they can. Bag of stall dry made for last nights entertainment for them.
They have started to get most of their feathers, when would be a safe time to leave the top half of the door open so they can learn how to fly. Not that I am rushing the sweet little things. :whistle:
It seems they only have a parent visit now very rarely.
Slingshot and icecubes are for what? To encourage them to leave? :shrug:
Oh they have not barfed on me yet as I have a little gripper thing that I move them along with when they are growling and jumping at us. I call it my attitude adjuster! :lol: One little grab on the beak makes them understand quickly I will kick their little heinys out if they don't behave. :lol:
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• buzzards 07 11 10 resized a.JPG
    buzzards 07 11 10 resized a.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 397

PrepH4U

I wonder if these 2 will want to come back to your barn to nest, when they lay eggs? :poorprep: :poorbaby:

We have already have a fix planned to stop this from happening again. :lol: I was really upset to find out that they do come back "home" to nest. I sure hope someone was pulling my leg! I will not be a foster home like this again! :lol: Although we did really enjoy watching it.

Katelin

We have already have a fix planned to stop this from happening again. :lol: I was really upset to find out that they do come back "home" to nest. I sure hope someone was pulling my leg! I will not be a foster home like this again! :lol: Although we did really enjoy watching it.

These 2 are getting big!!! I can help you "move" them outside...and show you how to set up a really cheap pen until they get all their adult feathers.

I answered you PM....
Now you know where the expression "sh*t stinks" comes from!!!!!
Good thing they have no sense of smell!!! :killingme

PrepH4U

Well my little buzzards are now in their new outside home. It was kinda bittersweet though. Even though they were a pain in my backside, I now find myself a little worried about them being outside in the big bad world. :sigh: I actually got to touch them and pet them today for the first time, they are so soft.

With Katelin's help we made an outside pen for them, which is so much better for them all the way around. Mom & Dad watched all the action from the trees. This will make it alot easier for them to take care of the cute little fur balls. The little guys will be able to get the sunshine and strengthen their wings.
I am glad we put a roof over about 1/3rd of the pen for shelter. Not only did they get to experience the outside for the first time, they also got a nice little rain shower to experience. Hopefully they will learn to move under the roof the next time it rains. I am sure they are really stressed about their new situation. But one good thing about them getting rained on is most of their soft downy fuzz on their heads disappeared.
Katelin thanks again for driving all the way down here and helping out, we really appreciated it. I am looking forward to watching their flying lessons now. :buddies:

Attachments

• being relocated 7 16 10 resized.jpg
    being relocated 7 16 10 resized.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 383
  • last pic with buzzards resized 7 16 10.jpg
    last pic with buzzards resized 7 16 10.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 392

Katelin

Well my little buzzards are now in their new outside home. It was kinda bittersweet though. Even though they were a pain in my backside, I now find myself a little worried about them being outside in the big bad world. :sigh: I actually got to touch them and pet them today for the first time, they are so soft.

With Katelin's help we made an outside pen for them, which is so much better for them all the way around. Mom & Dad watched all the action from the trees. This will make it alot easier for them to take care of the cute little fur balls. The little guys will be able to get the sunshine and strengthen their wings.
I am glad we put a roof over about 1/3rd of the pen for shelter. Not only did they get to experience the outside for the first time, they also got a nice little rain shower to experience. Hopefully they will learn to move under the roof the next time it rains. I am sure they are really stressed about their new situation. But one good thing about them getting rained on is most of their soft downy fuzz on their heads disappeared.
Katelin thanks again for driving all the way down here and helping out, we really appreciated it. I am looking forward to watching their flying lessons now. :buddies:

Hi Prep,
It was great fun helping you and your family relocate your fuzzy butts to their new "home" all of 15' from your barn.
Hopefully the parents have gotten use to the new location and the babies are getting a lot of sunshine and a lot more vulture food...YUM!!! :)barf:)
Here are 3 pics after the move.
Enjoy!!!
Katelin

Pic 1:
942107541_ARDbP-M.jpg

Pic 2: Showing the stump
942108724_Er2Qk-M.jpg

Pic 3: Close up.
942121751_j9bzh-M.jpg

Last edited:

Nanny Pam

:howdy:
This is a wonderful learning experience to watch from afar. :lol: Good job, ladies! Keep us informed.

p.s. they are some HEALTHY looking babies. Must be the table scraps from grandma prep. :yay:
:lmao:

Last edited:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
What hideous little creatures..:killingme They are so ugly that it's adorable...what a cool thing to see..thanks for all of the updates..it's fun to check in on them

Katelin

Per Prep, the fuzzy butts moved out on their own...
I got a PM from Prep and this is the latest news:
Update on the fuzzy butts.... by Saturday afternoon they had moved themselves into the woods (about 10 ft from where we moved them) They are now under a huge uprooted tree and its a much better home for them. Protected on three sides from the rain and all. Thanks again I think they are going to enjoy their summer & so will we!

Looks like we got nature back on track!!!!

Katelin

What hideous little creatures..:killingme They are so ugly that it's adorable...what a cool thing to see..thanks for all of the updates..it's fun to check in on them

They are really very cute and funny...the down is so soft!!! ( thus the name Fuzzy Butt) They are a lot cleaner than one would think!!

Without them, there would be a lot more road kill muucking up your tires!!!:killingme

Independence

This has been better than watching the baby eagles hatch and grow. Thank you soooo much for sharing your experience with us.

PrepH4U

Per Prep, the fuzzy butts moved out on their own...
I got a PM from Prep and this is the latest news:

Looks like we got nature back on track!!!!

What a difference a week makes :whistle:

All last week hubby has been pulling up all boards in hay/tack room and started to replace the walls. He went out of town for a couple of days. This weekend we were going to disenfect all the beamwork before we lay the new pallets and boards down. Alright we are finally making progress in reclaiming "our" area right??? :lol:

Yesterday morning I went out to feed the horses and guess who greeted me? :lol: They have now taken up residence in the horse run-in shed!

The sweet little "fuzzy butt" actually chased me out of the shed last night. :lol: He started chasing me when my back was turned & I was walking away. Daughter yelled run mom the little #$$%% is running after you. I am very thankful that I did not slip on all of the fresh manure that was there!
Tommorrow morning when hubby is home we will be trying to guide them back to their nice new home.
I swear they are just like young adults with the revolving door syndrome! :lol:
This has really been a neat experience but Mom needs to be a little more pro-active in caring for her offspring, I am not the buzzard welfare office! :lol:

PrepH4U

This has been better than watching the baby eagles hatch and grow. Thank you soooo much for sharing your experience with us.

You are more than welcome, I had to share it, when I am older and in a home and start sharing the story no one will belive me, they will just up my pill dosage ! :lol:
I think after this experience, I would like the eagles next time! :lol:

belvak

Happy Camper
Well my little buzzards are now in their new outside home.

Them there are some mighty big babies, Maam!!!! I'm so happy that you shared this unique experience with us all!!! And the pictures were so neat!!! I hope they decide to "launch" quickly for you so that you can reclaim your property!!! :lol:

frequentflier

happy to be living
You are more than welcome, I had to share it, when I am older and in a home and start sharing the story no one will belive me, they will just up my pill dosage ! :lol:
I think after this experience, I would like the eagles next time! :lol:

Be careful what you ask for :roflmao:

CountryLady

luvmyponies
WOW! I think you made it too comfy for them. My other freind never fed them and they left post haste. CRAZINESS!!

NEVER NEVER FED STRAYS UNLESS YOU WANT THEM TO STAY!!!!:killingme

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: