Dating a pregnant girl? Should I?

Cowgirl

Wow...reading all the replies to this thread, I'm feeling like a damned good person. The same goes for all the other people who are dating or married to someone with children from a previous relationship.

Wow...reading all the replies to this thread, I'm feeling like a damned good person. The same goes for all the other people who are dating or married to someone with children from a previous relationship.
Yeah, but you have to admit that by taking on a man with a child/children from a previous relationship, you have also taken on baggage that makes life pretty complicated, right?

Cowgirl

Yeah, but you have to admit that by taking on a man with a child/children from a previous relationship, you have also taken on baggage that makes life pretty complicated, right?

Yes. There are times I want to run away screaming, but they are few and far between. I love those children, and it's such a great feeling when they hug me and want ME to read them a story and put them to bed, not Daddy. I love it when girlie sits on my lap and plays with my hair and gives me kisses, or when I help boy with is homework and see his beaming smile because he wrote his name correctly all by himself.

So, it definitely makes life more complicated...but it's worth it. :smile:

Yes. There are times I want to run away screaming, but they are few and far between. I love those children, and it's such a great feeling when they hug me and want ME to read them a story and put them to bed, not Daddy. I love it when girlie sits on my lap and plays with my hair and gives me kisses, or when I help boy with is homework and see his beaming smile because he wrote his name correctly all by himself.

So, it definitely makes life more complicated...but it's worth it. :smile:

Yeah, but look at the situation you personally are in as a result of your choice. You have great opportunities to build a life with him in another state where you want to start a new family that you don't have if you stay here. If you move, life will be hell. If you stay, opportunity would be lost.

The point is, it's always one complication after another, after another, after another... it never stops.

Cowgirl

Yeah, but look at the situation you personally are in as a result of your choice. You have great opportunities to build a life with him in another state where you want to start a new family that you don't have if you stay here. If you move, life will be hell. If you stay, opportunity would be lost.

The point is, it's always one complication after another, after another, after another... it never stops.

True...but we're working it out. If something changes and we feel our lives just aren't going to mesh like we have planned, then we'll have to deal with that in the future.

But I think people with children are worth dating...it just takes a special person that wants to make the effort. :shrug: I know it's not for everybody, but I don't think one should make the blanket statement, "I'll never date someone with kids" because one might miss out on something great.

Oh my... I'm thinking "Paul" needs to buy a 'clue'... :coffee:

DEAR ABBY: I have been dating "Paul" for two years. I have two children (6 and 4), whom Paul has loved and accepted since day one. His patience and affection for them never cease to amaze me.

Paul has a 5-year-old daughter, "Daisy," from a previous marriage who spends every other weekend with us. I'm having a hard time accepting her place in our lives. I want to be happy and welcome Daisy, but I am growing more angry and resentful by the day. I'm not a mean person. I love children, so why do I resent her so? This may sound terrible, but I just want a life with my kids and the man I love -- no strings attached.

Paul can't exclude Daisy from his life, and I wouldn't dream of asking him to. I hate to end a beautiful relationship, but I don't know what else to do. We've already postponed our wedding. With a huge issue like this hanging over us, we know we can't be married until we figure this out. Help! -- ALICIA IN ATLANTA

DEAR ALICIA: If you want to marry Paul, you will have to fully accept that they're a package deal. You do not have to "love" his daughter, but you WILL have to respect her feelings. Imagine yourself in her position, coming to visit your household two weekends a month. Wouldn't you want to be welcomed and treated with kindness?

Your inability to accept Daisy may be due to the fact that she's living, breathing proof that Paul was once in love with another woman. (Is it possible she resembles her mother?) Counseling might help you resolve this. Another source I recommend is a Web site, StepTogether.org. Please don't wait too long to see what it has to offer.

Cowgirl

DEAR ABBY: I have been dating "Paul" for two years. I have two children (6 and 4), whom Paul has loved and accepted since day one. His patience and affection for them never cease to amaze me.

Paul has a 5-year-old daughter, "Daisy," from a previous marriage who spends every other weekend with us. I'm having a hard time accepting her place in our lives. I want to be happy and welcome Daisy, but I am growing more angry and resentful by the day. I'm not a mean person. I love children, so why do I resent her so? This may sound terrible, but I just want a life with my kids and the man I love -- no strings attached.

Paul can't exclude Daisy from his life, and I wouldn't dream of asking him to. I hate to end a beautiful relationship, but I don't know what else to do. We've already postponed our wedding. With a huge issue like this hanging over us, we know we can't be married until we figure this out. Help! -- ALICIA IN ATLANTA

DEAR ALICIA: If you want to marry Paul, you will have to fully accept that they're a package deal. You do not have to "love" his daughter, but you WILL have to respect her feelings. Imagine yourself in her position, coming to visit your household two weekends a month. Wouldn't you want to be welcomed and treated with kindness?

Your inability to accept Daisy may be due to the fact that she's living, breathing proof that Paul was once in love with another woman. (Is it possible she resembles her mother?) Counseling might help you resolve this. Another source I recommend is a Web site, StepTogether.org. Please don't wait too long to see what it has to offer.

Wow...that's pretty sad.

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire

Let me get this straight.... She has two kids that he accepted. He has one kid that she won't accept. And it's HIM that needs a clue? :confused: