De Sean Jackson...

Zguy28

Yea it's a joke to those guys making millions.

No kidding. Rodney Harrison said on Sunday night that every season he would put $50,000 aside just to cover his fines for illegal hits like it was nothing. He said if you suspend them, it will stop. If anybody should know about that, its him, he was a dirty player.

thurley42

HY;FR
Llamar Woodley had a great tweet a little bit ago.....and for me to compliment a smelly Wolverine isn't easy...

He said if they are so concerned with protecting the players why are they extending the regular season by two games? Although he's not really addressing the issue at hand he's got a point....

I agree with the fines to an extent..I think they are going to get stupid with it...and take it out on people that won't deserve it...and I think it's going to give the offensive a little bit of an advantage...but it's whatever....I also think peoples knees/ankles are going to start getting taken out....but like someone said from the front office today......low hits end careers...high hits can end lives...

BuddyLee

Football addict
No kidding. Rodney Harrison said on Sunday night that every season he would put $50,000 aside just to cover his fines for illegal hits like it was nothing. He said if you suspend them, it will stop. If anybody should know about that, its him, he was a dirty player.
It won't stop.

BuddyLee

Football addict
...high hits can end lives...
A lot of things "could" happen.

Hitting the helmet or head area is banned as it should be. Hitting the chest or shoulder will be questionable now.

I gotta wonder when the last time someone's life was ended on an NFL field due to a high hit.

Zguy28

Hitting the helmet or head area is banned as it should be. Hitting the chest or shoulder will be questionable now.

I gotta wonder when the last time someone's life was ended on an NFL field due to a high hit.
Around 1900 probably. Except it was the mass momentum plays like the wedge and the Offense was doing the killing.

T

toppick08

Are you in favor of bringing back the Flying Wedge? Afterall, its a violent game by nature and we don't want to "soften it."

Only if you can get away with it.........as many of the HOF players did..:yay:

BuddyLee

Football addict
League is selling photo of James Harrison's illegal hit
Posted by Mike Florio on October 19, 2010 11:12 PM ET

The folks at KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh have uncovered an interesting angle regarding the hit that resulted in the imposition of a $75,000 fine against Steelers linebacker James Harrison.

The league currently is selling photos of the incident involving Harrison and Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi, at anywhere from $15.95 to $249.95.

Sorry, but the NFL can't have it both ways. If the league wants to legislate dirty hits out of the game, the NFL should do nothing to profit from those dirty hits.

For now, the NFL is.

UPDATE: It appears that the spike in traffic from PFT Planet has crashed the servers of the NFL Photo Store.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...s-illegal-hit/

thurley42

HY;FR

Buddy I'm not disagreeing with you......I'm just repeating stuff that was said.....:buddies:

Zguy28

Only if you can get away with it.........as many of the HOF players did..:yay:
Formations like the Flying Wedge or the V Trick were responsible for the deaths of numerous players. Perhaps you'd like to see Roman Gladiatorial games be revived as well?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Anyone else read Paterno's idea for making the helmet to helmet hit go away, get rid of the facemask. Might as well go back to the leather helmet.

big_poppa

I am sorry but they are ruining professional football!! It is football for crying out loud, people are going to get hurt!! When you decide to play football someone gives you a helmet, shoulder pads, pads for your little legs, and advises you to wear a cup. Some people go a bit further with neck rolls, and rib protectors etc.... They do this because it is a CONTACT sport and you might get HURT playing it!!!

Trying to eliminate the "big hit" and fine everyone for delivering these blows are ruining the sport. If something is blatently wrong, meaning the ball has passed a reciever, the quarterback has thrown the ball, or something along those lines....then I agree, you shouldn't hit someone in that circumstance. But I can say for certain that if I am playing corner and the ball is in play, when you go for it...MY JOB IS TO SEPERATE YOU FROM THE BALL!!! I weigh 160 pounds, but I promise when I hit you, YOU WILL REMEMBER IT!!

That is part of the game, to instill FEAR in the person across from you. If you rip em a new one, they will think twice about coming to your side of the field.

Please don't take this as me not agreeing with hitting those that were fined this week. Those plays were included in my "unnecessary" plays that I was referring to. However, if we start calling every hard hit a penalty, why should we even watch the game? Why not just have all the players turn in their helmets and shoulder pads and issue them all flags!!!

I am sorry, I am just frustrated with people wanting to take the HITTING out of FOOTBALL!!!!

Zguy28

I am sorry, I am just frustrated with people wanting to take the HITTING out of FOOTBALL!!!!
That's the problem though, football didn't use to be about just big hits. It was about tackling. Sure you had guys that hit hard like Dick Butkus, Sam Huff, and Gino Marchetti, but they also tackled. Too many guys now grew up playing in an era that doesn't appreciate good form tackling and would rather see car accident-esque collisions.

I remember watching that Sports Science show a while back and they had Quentin Jammer from the Chargers hit a dummy and then a Rugby player tackle a person. Jammer's hit was like a 30mph car wreck, and that was a normal hit for him. Is it any wonder these guys get injured like that? Football players need to get back to the Rugby style of form tackling and a lot less players would get hurt.

That being said, some responsibility falls on the offense too. You can't send receivers on routes where they are likely to get massacred by defensive backs.

thurley42

HY;FR
Most said that. Most "football" people said that.

We have too many non-football people running the NFL nowadays.

Well...that is the collateral damage of football becoming one of the largest corporations out there...just like the government Roger Goodell is a political puppet that goes out and puts on the good face and his "can do right, new sherrif in town" attitude. They stand behind Player safety when their real agenda is protecting investments, and the fall out is you get Tom Brady crying to the official everytime someone hits him....I swear he's going to start crying for a flag when he gets sacked.....

I would be more willing to side with the owners/front offices if we weren't staring down the barrel of a lockout and weren't hearing of things like expanding the season, making players travel to Europe for one game, etc..