De Sean Jackson...

BuddyLee

Football addict
Well, that would be wrong again. Watch Butkus tapes. Watch Mike Curtis. Watch Bednarick, Ronnie Lott, LT, Singletary, Lambert.

Good lord.

And coaches do NOT teach to lead with your crown. They teach to see what you tackle, that low man wins, they teach proper technique. It is insane otherwise given every single thing they all know about football and human physiology from day one.

Come on, BL, this is not like you? Someone hack your account? :lol:

:buddies:

:bubbies:
I usually defend the league on a variety of issues but this is bull####.

Leading with your crown is illegal. The player should be fined, suspended and the like. However, in this particular instance, Robinson didn't lead with his helmet but his shoulder.

If the league wants the players to find a new target area because there is a possibility they'll be suspended due to a "vague rule" more players will simply be injured. Look for more knee, ankle and foot injuries soon.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I watched the game, saw the links, read the stories.

He didn't lead with his head and it was a clean hit. Look at the video again. If Robinson doesn't lay the wood, Jackson is gone. Jackson had practically caught the ball and was on the run, bang-bang. Receivers going over the middle get what's comin'.

Want less big hits over the middle? Take back the rule where DB's can't jam after five yards. Receivers are free to run full speed wherever they please.

Wow. Just wow. There it is in video. Clear as can be.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I usually defend the league on a variety of issues but this is bull####.

Leading with your crown is illegal. The player should be fined, suspended and the like. However, in this particular instance, Robinson didn't lead with his helmet but his shoulder.

If the league wants the players to find a new target area because there is a possibility they'll be suspended due to a "vague rule" more players will simply be injured. Look for more knee, ankle and foot injuries soon.

Yeah, guys knock themselves out all the time leading with their shoulder. :lol:

BuddyLee

Football addict
The hit on De Sean was textbook wrong and dangerous to not just Jackson but, as we saw, what's his face who did NOT see what he hit because he lead with his crown and looked at the ground.
Here's where we disagree. The hit seems wrong because both players end up hurt. However, it was a clean hit. He lead with his shoulder and blew him upwards. His helmet grazed Jacksons facemask. That's the extent of helmet to helmet.

Slow the tape down. If the hit is not made, Jackson runs free. We might as well eliminate the defense out of the National Football League.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Yeah, guys knock themselves out all the time leading with their shoulder. :lol:
You can still lead with your shoulder and injure another part of your body. A lot of head injuries don't happen so much with the blow as it does falling to the ground.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Here's where we disagree. The hit seems wrong because both players end up hurt. .

Here's where we disagree; the hits seem wrong because they were. They LEAD with their helmet. You don't know what you're talking about if you think that's proper body position. Again, don't take my word for it, watch the links I provided or any you choose. Look at the physiology, the rationale for proper technique.

Ronnie Lott ended up in epic car crashes on the field, all the time, half knocked out himself on PROPER hits. It has NOTHING to do with both players not getting up.

The Falcon did NOT see what he hit. He lead with his helmet. That is textbook, in Sol mo, of what NOT to do.

Happens all the time in the league. Some times, it's really bad. For both players.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You can still lead with your shoulder and injure another part of your body. A lot of head injuries don't happen so much with the blow as it does falling to the ground.

BL! Now you're just playing around. The Falcon player was out before he hit the ground. Head up, he sends Jackson to the showers and keeps himself in the game.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Exactly.

I see shoulder each and every time.

I don't see many in the media agreeing that it was a helmet-helmet hit.

You are not listening. I have not said a word about helmet to helmet.

Watch the link I provided. It is the head position of the defender in question here. He, clearly, leads with his crown, putting himself at totally unnecessary risk AND delivering a blow with the crown of his helmet, a personal foul whether he hits the guy in the helmet, stomach or left shoe.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Trent Dilfer is saying you are taught to put your face mask in there, saying the De Sean hit was proper while, clearly, that is NOT what happens in the vid. Amazing.

Look at the Harrison hit on the SAME route as Jackson; an underneath cross. Harrisons head is IN LINE and he sees what he is hitting and knocks the guy out of the game. CLEAN. PROPER. TOUGH, brutal football.

The same play, De Sean, his head is out of line, improper, it's clear as can be.

Textbook how to and how not to.

:shrug:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Here's where we disagree; the hits seem wrong because they were. They LEAD with their helmet. You don't know what you're talking about if you think that's proper body position.
If both players walked away, the hit would be fine. It's only an issue now because players were injured.

I still say he angled his body to lead with his shoulder (see free safety view). Agree to disagree.

BuddyLee

Football addict
You are not listening. I have not said a word about helmet to helmet.

Watch the link I provided. It is the head position of the defender in question here. He, clearly, leads with his crown, putting himself at totally unnecessary risk AND delivering a blow with the crown of his helmet, a personal foul whether he hits the guy in the helmet, stomach or left shoe.
I believe it appears that he lead with his helmet but angled his body to lead with his shoulder. Robinsons helmet blew up Jacksons shoulder pad and grazed his facemask.

Robinson wasn't given a personal foul though. He was given a penalty for hitting a defenseless receiver...whatever that is.:lol:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If both players walked away, the hit would be fine. It's only an issue now because players were injured.

I still say he angled his body to lead with his shoulder (see free safety view). Agree to disagree.

We can disagree on what would happen in terms of percepton. As a technical discussion, the hit was wrong. End of story.

The second Harrison hit was wrong, too.