Democrat Debate

rdytogo

I'm just looking for you to justify your point, which apparently you can't.

I get the primary functions of each item. When used in a way to illegally harm someone through intention or neglect, either item is being used inappropriately. When used as a defensive weapon, a gun is not being used illegally - and we have laws that establish proper and improper use of the weapon.

If you can justify your point, please do. If not, please admit that.

Inappropriately how? According to the manufacturers guide? See if you can answer this very simple question. If person A shoots person B with a handgun and person B is then harmed, did the handgun preform as the manufacturer intended it to?

SamSpade

The answer to your question is we aren't. In the absence of those three things I pointed out, the law protects gun manufacturers or dealers from being liable.

I'm not sure you know the question - and that is, why do people think it should be done?

SamSpade

Inappropriately how? According to the manufacturers guide? See if you can answer this very simple question. If person A shoots person B with a handgun and person B is then harmed, did the handgun preform as the manufacturer intended it to?

And I think you're mincing words. The function of a product is the way it is primarily used. Cigarettes are smoked - that's their function. Guns sit idly or strapped to the belt or fired at a range and in the case it's needed, to defend yourself or to threaten someone with bodily harm. Why would I say that? Because out of more than 300 million guns and 365 days a year - that's how it is overwhelmingly used. I get that a bathtub is used to bathe, but if almost everyone in the world used them as planters, then I'm sorry, but they're planters.

So back to the argument as presented - there's no sensible reason imaginable to "hold gun manufacturers accountable" for deaths that come from people committing crimes with them - they are not intended to commit crimes.

rdytogo

And I think you're mincing words. The function of a product is the way it is primarily used. Cigarettes are smoked - that's their function. Guns sit idly or strapped to the belt or fired at a range and in the case it's needed, to defend yourself or to threaten someone with bodily harm. Why would I say that? Because out of more than 300 million guns and 365 days a year - that's how it is overwhelmingly used. I get that a bathtub is used to bathe, but if almost everyone in the world used them as planters, then I'm sorry, but they're planters.

So back to the argument as presented - there's no sensible reason imaginable to "hold gun manufacturers accountable" for deaths that come from people committing crimes with them - they are not intended to commit crimes.

I'm not mincing words. We agree on the premise that gun manufacturers should generally not be held liable for lawful actions with firearms. Your analogy of comparing a bathtub to a handgun is where we differ. The primary function of a bathtub is to hold water. The most common use is for a person to clean themselves.

Would you not agree that the primary function of a firearm is to do harm or destruction?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I'm not mincing words. We agree on the premise that gun manufacturers should generally not be held liable for lawful actions with firearms. Your analogy of comparing a bathtub to a handgun is where we differ. The primary function of a bathtub is to hold water. The most common use is for a person to clean themselves.

Would you not agree that the primary function of a firearm is to do harm or destruction?
The primary function of a firearm is to expel a projectile, whether it is for harm, destruction or defense are all within the individual using the tool and their intended purpose.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The primary function of a firearm is to expel a projectile, whether it is for harm, destruction or defense are all within the individual using the tool and their intended purpose.

Exactly. And some are specifically designed for advanced-level competition target shooting.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Unless it's a Glock. Which have a mind of their own. In which case there really is no telling if the goal was to put a hole in the ceiling, the floor, a foot or just scare hell out of everyone.

:evil:

This_person

If the gun works per its specifications (regardless of the target), the gun did as the manufacturer intended. Now, if a bathtub holds water and a baby drowns in the water, did the bathtub do as the manufacturer intended it to?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Exactly. And some are specifically designed for advanced-level competition target shooting.

That gets lost in the hysteria: a lot of people enjoy shooting for sport and have no intention of ever using their gun on a human or any other living creature.

I think all the hand wringing about guns is mindless nonsense and not based on any common sense or actual knowledge of what they're talking about.

rdytogo

If the gun works per its specifications (regardless of the target), the gun did as the manufacturer intended. Now, if a bathtub holds water and a baby drowns in the water, did the bathtub do as the manufacturer intended it to?

NO! Thank you for supporting my argument.

The bathtub had nothing to do with the baby drowning. The bathtub's function was to hold water. Someone else put the baby there.

rdytogo

That gets lost in the hysteria: a lot of people enjoy shooting for sport and have no intention of ever using their gun on a human or any other living creature.

I think all the hand wringing about guns is mindless nonsense and not based on any common sense or actual knowledge of what they're talking about.

The people who most complain about guns have no idea about guns. Clinton is from Chicago...one of the most gun restricted cities in America, yet so many in that city are affected by gun violence. It's silly. They don't understand the benefit of gun ownership.