Dentist

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
StarCat said:
You have no idea how terrified I am of dentists and doctors.
They aren't going to hurt you. I'm afraid of being put to sleep, but if I had to have surgery, I wouldn't let that fear stop me from doing something that would benefit me. Explain to the oral surgeon that you're nervous and he/she or the assistants will do what they can to make you more comfortable.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
StarCat said:
yes, a while ago, but we decided not to go to them anymore because they suck. I havent found another one yet.
Well then, I suggest you make an appointment for an intitial consultation at St. Mary's Dental and see Dr. McCray and have her set a lot of your fears at ease and in the process get a referral to an oral surgeon who can factor in your fear and treat you in the least painful and quickest way possible.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
StarCat said:
You have no idea how terrified I am of dentists and doctors. Anyway, we have some kind of weird insurance, I'm not even sure if its called insurance and I cant think of what its called but its something that I can go to any dentist usually, I wish I could remember what its called. They pay 80% and we pay the other 20%

I know what you're talking about, but I don't think any dentist accepts it. You'll still have to find a dentist that honors it. I asked the people in my dentists office about it and they had never even heard of it.

Don't be skeered. I've had all 4 wisdom teeth removed. The worst part is if you get a dry socket after the fact. PITA.

StarCat

migtig said:
Well then, I suggest you make an appointment for an intitial consultation at St. Mary's Dental and see Dr. McCray and have her set a lot of your fears at ease and in the process get a referral to an oral surgeon who can factor in your fear and treat you in the least painful and quickest way possible.
I was reading the link you gave me and it said
Dr. McCray and Dr. Horani perform all phases of general dentistry including crowns, dentures, bridges, bonding, tooth whitening, periodontal therapy, oral surgery, implants and limited orthodontics.
I guess I will call them when I find my insurance stuff.

StarCat

elaine said:
I know what you're talking about, but I don't think any dentist accepts it. You'll still have to find a dentist that honors it. I asked the people in my dentists office about it and they had never even heard of it.

Don't be skeered. I've had all 4 wisdom teeth removed. The worst part is if you get a dry socket after the fact. PITA.
Our last dentist took it, its some crazy stuff, AssureCare of Illinois or something lol I know all the had to do was fill out one paper and send it to them and they got paid and we had to pay the rest. I've come to the realization that its not my tooth that hurts, its the side of my mouth, that my tooth is scratching against. I do need to do something, soon.

CMC122

Go Braves!
StarCat said:
I was reading the link you gave me and it said I guess I will call them when I find my insurance stuff.[/size][/font]
Dr. McCray is awesome, staff is great too:yay: You'll really like her.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
StarCat said:
Our last dentist took it, its some crazy stuff, AssureCare of Illinois or something lol I know all the had to do was fill out one paper and send it to them and they got paid and we had to pay the rest. I've come to the realization that its not my tooth that hurts, its the side of my mouth, that my tooth is scratching against. I do need to do something, soon.

If your tooth is scratching your mouth, pick up some dental wax (for braces) until you get it taken care of. You can find in the same section with the toothpaste and floss. That should help.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
elaine said:
:yeahthat: Been there, done that. Dry sockets suck. I got one on the last wisdom tooth they pulled. :bawl:

BabyGurl1978

Gone Crazy
Oral Surgeon

StarCat said:
Then I need recommendations for Oral Surgeons. Anyone know any good ones? This all seems like so much trouble :frown:

I used Dr. Palumbo in Waldorf for all of mine - not to bad.

Here is the information just in case you want to give it a shot.

Palumbo Vincent D Dr PA Oral Surgeon
11885 Holly Lane, Waldorf, MD 20601
(301) 645-4555

Last edited:

PrepH4U

jazz lady said:
:yeahthat: Been there, done that. Dry sockets suck. I got one on the last wisdom tooth they pulled. :bawl:
I heard about them but, what is a dry socket exactly? :shrug:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
jazz lady said:

My last one, too. It was so impacted they had to break it and dig it out from around my jaw. That's the only one I had trouble with.

Starcat, I was awake for the whole thing and numb. It didn't hurt. To avoid a dry socket, do EXACTLY as the dentist tells you. However, you could still get one. It's not nightmare pain, but it's pretty uncomfortable.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
PrepH4U said:
I heard about them but, what is a dry socket exactly? :shrug:

When you have a tooth extracted the space fills with a plug of congealed blood. If you lose it, you're no longer bleeding, so your body can't replace it. It's like a scab, I guess. Without the scab, it's an open wound.

Last edited:

nomoney

and you have to keep the holes clean of food and stuff. it starts to smell and the food gets all slimey

PrepH4U

elaine said:
When you have a tooth extracted the space fills with a plug of congealed blood. If you lose it, you're no longer bleeding. It's like a scab, I guess. Without the scab, it's an open wound.
eeewwwww that sounds so grosss! I hated the taste of the gauze wads in my mouth afterwards!! Then the thought of chocolate frosties mixing in with the gauze was also a pleasant experience....eeeewwwww

mAlice

professional daydreamer
PrepH4U said:
eeewwwww that sounds so grosss! I hated the taste of the gauze wads in my mouth afterwards!! Then the thought of chocolate frosties mixing in with the gauze was also a pleasant experience....eeeewwwww

They packed my dry socket with gauze soaked in clove oil. I didn't have bad breath.