DeSantis and Florida

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Ron DeSantis Clinches Another Win for His State And It Has Illegals Trembling

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is expected to announce his 2024 candidacy tonight, coming on the heels of a new immigration enforcement measure that has some illegals leaving Florida. We must secure the border and deport people who shouldn’t be here. Joe Biden and the Democrats think otherwise, creating a humanitarian crisis at the southern border. It’s an invasion. And with Democrats occupying the White House, Republican governors are our best hope to curb the flow of illegal immigration until the next election.

On July 1, new measures in the Sunshine State will greatly degrade the ability of illegal aliens to move and live among us freely. It’s a win for the state and for the country—and DeSantis should highlight this new law prominently if he wants to catch up with Trump in the polls (via Axios):

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Florida Becomes Hostile Territory for Those Who Profit Off Illegal Aliens

USA Today profiles a 59-year-old grandmother who has lived illegally in Florida for decades, and who must now choose between staying there and facing legal worries or leaving behind her home and U.S. citizen descendants. CBS introduces us to Aguilar, who “recently fell off a truck while on the job, and was bedridden with a back injury for two weeks.” Aguilar was afraid to seek medical attention for fear of being deported (which isn’t what happens when foreign nationals seek medical or law enforcement help) and vows to take her young son, a birthright citizen, with her if she leaves. Not to be outdone, NBC News tells us David Guerra “and his large family fled Florida in May[;] they left behind beds, mattresses, furniture and the construction tools they used to make a living. But it’s when he thinks of his children’s toys that his voice breaks.” There is no mention of why the family abandoned their possessions when they relocated to Maryland a full month before the new law took effect.

All of these stories are indeed horrible, and all were also foreseeable. These are the people who were lured here by corrupt Democrats and exploited for cheap labor by unscrupulous businesses. They have spent much of their lives here, and are devastated when America’s immigration laws are finally enforced. But with Joe Biden and Big Left now raking in utterly ludicrous numbers of unskilled, unvetted people, the system is buckling. Thus, some states are taking action to secure themselves, and who can blame them?

It’s worth noting that Florida’s new law does not focus on punishing illegal aliens but rather, those who profit off of them — a distinction that seems to be lost on both the unauthorized residents and the activist Left.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
"We are hearing people are starting to leave," Yvette Cruz with the Farmworkers Association of Florida told CBS News of reports of migrant workers abandoning fields and construction projects. "We're just gonna keep seeing that more as the law will take effect."

The law also includes harsh penalties for those who try and hire or transport undocumented migrants, which critics say can include family members.

It also requires hospitals that receive Medicaid funds to ask for a patient's immigration status.

DeSantis claims the legislation is needed due to what he considers the Biden's administration's failure to secure the border.

"At the end of the day, you wouldn't have the illegal immigration problem if you didn't have a lot of people who were facilitating this in our country," DeSantis recently said during a campaign rally.

For farmworkers like Ofelia Aguilar, who is undocumented but has children who are U.S. citizens — including an 8-year-old son — the new law sparks fear of separation.

"I'm not going to leave my son behind," Aguilar said. "If I leave, my son is coming with me."

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
🔥 Finally, yesterday Governor DeSantis announced that the State of Florida, which is a significant investor in beer giant Anheuser-Busch, will now investigate the woke corporation for mismanagement that breached the company’s duties to shareholders and injured the state’s investment portfolio.

image 8.png

Budweiser’s “going broke” phase may have only just begun.

Oh! In related news, Disney wasn’t exactly having a great week, either. From the Wall Street Journal:

image 11.png

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Woke Prosecutor Fumes At ‘Evil’ ‘Dictator’ DeSantis For Booting Her From Office: ‘Destroyed Democracy’

Worrell said at a press conference following her suspension that her office did “things unconventionally” and claimed that DeSantis was a “dictator” who has implemented “tyranny” and has “single handedly destroyed democracy in the state of Florida.”

Worrell said that while her legal team is prepared to fight her suspension through the legal system but did not believe that she would be successful because “the courts have been assembled by the governor, the legislature has a super majority in favor of the governor.”

“Along with me, two of my deputy chief assistants have been fired,” she added. “This should not happen in a democracy.”

Worrell said that the fact that DeSantis suspended her the day before school starts was “evil” because she has kids.

She also attacked law enforcement for giving DeSantis the information he needed to remove her from office, claiming they wanted her removed because she held them accountable.

Worrell said she had “uncovered just the tip of the iceberg” within law enforcement when she was suspended, and that’s why her deputy chief was fired.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
🔥 This is the kind of terrific, meaningful story I loved to celebrate over the last couple years but which has become unfortunately rare in this time of presidential back-and-forth. But we’ll take the win! Yesterday, CNN ran a spiritually uplifting story headlined, “DeSantis suspends Orlando-area state attorney in second sacking of democratically elected prosecutor.”

At last!

In other words, from CNN’s point of view, Florida Governor DeSantis “overruled the will of the voters” and removed the woke, George Soros-funded, “intersectional” (black female) historically-suppressed district attorney of the Ninth Judicial Circuit in Florida, the central Florida Circuit including Orlando.

image.png

Ms. Worrell was, as they say, not pleased. But apart from attacking DeSantis over the politics and calling him an out-of-control “dictator,” Worrell knows her goose is buttered, coated in spicy Cajun batter, and deep-fried. From CNN’s article:

“I am a duly elected state attorney for the Ninth Judicial Circuit,” Worrell said at a news conference outside the Orange County Courthouse in Orlando. “And nothing done by a weak dictator can change that.”
Worrell said she is considering legal action, but also acknowledged the long odds.

Worrell vowed to run again to regain her office in 2024, and whined that her suspension was just a stunt to prop up Governor DeSantis’ struggling presidential campaign.

Florida’s constitution allows the governor to suspend any elected Florida official for “malfeasance, misfeasance, neglect of duty, habitual drunkenness, incompetence, or permanent inability to perform official duties.” After the official is suspended, they get due process in the form of a hearing, a sort of a trial, in the Florida Senate, unless the official challenges their suspension in court. If not, the Senate will vote on whether to reinstate or permanently remove them.

In other words, it’s not just the Governor. Worrell could be back in office in a few weeks if it is just, as she claims, politics.

DeSantis has now used his constitutional suspension power three times — which is three more times than any other governor, excluding cases involving convicted criminal wrongdoing. As far as I can tell, the only thing stopping previous governors from suspending poorly-performing officials was politics, which is admittedly intense. As CNN’s headline suggested, even though it is constitutional under Florida’s constitution, suspension is viewed as un-democratic or anti-democratic because it bypasses the popular vote that put the person in office in the first place.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Judge Denies ACLU Request To Block New Florida Chinese Land Ownership Law

U.S. District Judge Allen Winsor denied an injunction requested by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), which filed the lawsuit on behalf of the plaintiffs seeking to overturn the law, contending the group failed to prove the law’s purpose is to discriminate based on national origin and race rather than based on citizenship.

Winsor, who former President Donald Trump appointed, wrote in a 51-page decision that U.S. Supreme Court precedents have “held that states could deny aliens ownership interests in land within their respective borders absent an arbitrary or unreasonable basis.”

“It does not facially discriminate against noncitizens based on race or ancestry. It does not discriminate against noncitizens based on ‘the particular country in which one was born,’” Winsor wrote in part, quoting a Supreme Court precedent. “So contrary to plaintiffs’ arguments, the challenged law is facially neutral as to race and national origin.”

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis and the Republican-controlled state legislature took on the Chinese Communist Party earlier this year when they passed SB 264, which went into effect on July 1, severely restricting foreign entities or affiliates from buying farmland in Florida or land within 10 miles of military bases and critical infrastructure.

stgislander

PREMO Member
It appears that now, whenever any Federal judge makes a ruling, the MSM has to let everyone know who appointed that judge.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS) has reported fuel contamination could impact residents who are evacuating from Florida’s coast.

FDACS reported fuel contamination has occurred at dozens of gas stations that were serviced by the Port of Tampa.

In a press release, FDACS revealed, “Any fuel purchased after 10 a.m. on Saturday, August 26, at stations supplied by Citgo from the Port of Tampa has a strong likelihood of being contaminated with diesel fuel.”

Governor Ron DeSantis also weighed in on the situation and stated the fuel contamination stemmed from a human error.

DeSantis further explained, “They put diesel in tanks that were supposed to be regular gas.”

herb749

The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS) has reported fuel contamination could impact residents who are evacuating from Florida’s coast.

FDACS reported fuel contamination has occurred at dozens of gas stations that were serviced by the Port of Tampa.

In a press release, FDACS revealed, “Any fuel purchased after 10 a.m. on Saturday, August 26, at stations supplied by Citgo from the Port of Tampa has a strong likelihood of being contaminated with diesel fuel.”

Governor Ron DeSantis also weighed in on the situation and stated the fuel contamination stemmed from a human error.

DeSantis further explained, “They put diesel in tanks that were supposed to be regular gas.”

So the fed is saying the storm caused the mix up not an individual f'ed up.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Looters Pick the Wrong Disaster Area to Target, End Up with Million-Dollar Bails After Florida Sheriff's Office Gets Involved

The officer found the man and woman loading up items from the waterfront home into a rented pickup truck. One of the suspects told deputies that the homeowner had given him permission to remove items from the house on stilts.

But the homeowners told deputies when contacted that they had done no such thing, according to a statement from the Dixie County Sheriff’s Office.

Each suspect was charged with burglary of an unoccupied dwelling during an emergency, grand theft and trespassing, with bails set for each at $1 million.

“We are taking strong action against this criminal activity,” the sheriff’s office said in the statement.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
🔥 Finally, Fox News ran a terrific story yesterday headlined, “DeSantis hammers climate change alarmists in no uncertain terms in Idalia’s aftermath.”

image 9.png

During a Sunday press conference, Governor DeSantis responded to federal officials and other woke leftists who’ve been claiming that Hurricane Idalia somehow proves their idiotic manmade climate change theory.

The Governor used facts and history, which cause a reaction in woke leftists similar to what happens when you bury a vampire in crucifixes and garlic.

DeSantis cited an 1896 storm with 125 mph winds and, most timely, Florida's 1935 Labor Day hurricane, both of which caused massive destruction and deaths, and both of which predated “manmade climate change.”

In his inimitable non-nonsense style, DeSantis made it clear, even to people who live in Portland:

"So, I think the notion that somehow hurricanes are something new, that’s just false. And we’ve got to stop politicizing the weather and stop politicizing natural disasters. We know from history there’s been times when it’s very busy in Florida, late ‘40s, early ‘50s, you had a lot of hits of significant hurricanes.
So, I think sometimes people need to take a breath and get a little bit of perspective here. But the notion that somehow if we just adopt, you know, very left-wing policies at the federal level that somehow we will not have hurricanes, that is a lie.
And that is people trying to take what happened with different types of storms and use that as a pretext to advance their agenda on the backs of people that are suffering. And that’s wrong, and we’re not going to do that in the state of Florida."

Presidential politics aside, we Floridians are grateful to have a commonsense, plain-talking Governor instead of a Bob Peters-like WEF clone.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
“First of all, I did not allow anything with that,” DeSantis said as the protester continued to talk. “I’m not going to let you accuse me of committing criminal activity. I am not going to take that. I am not going to take that.”

“To say that I’m letting — that guy was Baker Acted,” DeSantis continued, referencing the prior incident when law enforcement officials had placed the suspect on a mental health hold years before the tragedy.

“He should have been ruled ineligible [to buy a gun], but they didn’t involuntarily commit him and so, they weren’t—” DeSantis said as the heckler continued to interrupt.

The man then made a claim that is difficult to hear on the video of the exchange, to which DeSantis responded: “No, no. There is the truth. There is something about the truth. It’s not — everyone doesn’t have their own truth. No.”

“You don’t get to come here and blame me for some madman,” he continued. “That is not appropriate and I’m not going to accept it.”

SamSpade

The other night, I watched a show - can't recall - when at the end, the lunatic that was killing people made the time-worn excuse that he was not to blame - it was society who made him that way - all the while, holding a gun to a child's head.

Charles Manson made the same argument - "I am what you made me". See, it's not MY fault. It's YOUR fault. You didn't care enough.

In the show, the killer showed considerable brilliance, duping the police, making elaborate plans to kill people, and knowing exactly how to foil CSI's. He wasn't stupid - he was just evil.

When do we decide - that madmen and criminals ARE to blame - instead of everyone else? If "everyone else" does their part - will the madmen go away? Will criminals decide to stop committing crimes? All they ever needed was someone to love them?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
🔥 Governor DeSantis held a blockbuster press conference yesterday titled “Mandate Freedom,” in which he coined what may be my favorite new expression. He was talking about the possibility of new federal mask mandates, and said:

“We see all this stuff, and we see they are not following the science. They are trying to follow a narrative. They are trying to follow an agenda. Here in Florida, we did not — and we will not — allow the dystopian visions of paranoid, hypochondriacs control our health policies, let alone our state.”
https://substackcdn.com/image/fetch...c924-8989-49be-a3eb-4409233248a8_1008x418.png

Haha! “Dystopian visions of paranoid hypochondriacs!” That’s money! I can’t wait to use that terrific line someplace.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
✈️ Politico ran a very encouraging story yesterday headlined, “DeSantis orders Florida to organize charter flights for Americans stranded in Israel.

image 3.png

For obvious reasons, most commercial airlines have indefinitely cancelled all flights to and from Israel. Politico’s sub-headline reported, “The governor estimates that 20,000 U.S. citizens, including Floridians, remain in Israel.”

I’ve mentioned that I know at least one stranded group of Floridians, now in Jordan, from a church in Fernandina Beach that the Childers family attends whenever we take a weekend beach holiday. According to Pastor Zach Terry’s most recent Twitter update, they are currently waiting around in Jordan, and the tour’s members are trickling home a couple at a time as seats open up on the few available flights.

image 4.png

Pastor Terry is characteristically stoic and remains optimistic, trusting in divine providence. But there is growing concern that Americans stranded in the area could be exposed to hostile activity, retaliation, or kidnapping, depending on what happens next in Gaza on a minute-to-minute basis.

So yesterday afternoon, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis signed an executive order directing Florida’s Division of Emergency Management to immediately charter planes to retrieve Americans who are stranded amidst the conflict — regardless of which state they’re from — and get them safely back home from Israel at no charge.

DeSantis’ administration reported that at least 35 Americans stranded in Israel have reached out to the Florida governor’s office for help so far, after being ghosted by the U.S.’s useless Embassy in Israel, which Biden and the State Department told them to call in their social media advisories.

Florida’s rescue planes will also haul emergency relief supplies to Israel on their inbound trips.

He didn’t say it directly, but it appears obvious the Governor’s rescue operation came after observing frustrating Biden bureaucratic buffoonery and general incompetence. Early yesterday, State Department spokesman John “Baghdad Bob” Kirby announced the federal government would immediately charter planes to rescue Americans. So far, so good. But then later in the day, Kirby backed off the “immediately” part, telling reporters he had no idea how many Americans were stranded in Israel, if any, and said the government was “still working out details” of how many flights to send and what their destinations would be.

Hours after that, Kirby suggested the government was running into turbulence finding any charters to hire, you know how it is, and said, “we’re exploring other options, whether it’s possible to help Americans leave by land and sea.”

What? Land or sea? Like walking across the desert or swimming the Suez Canal? And, exploring options? They’re exploring the options? Like Cortés or something? Do they plan to get back from the exploration before the holidays?

Kirby said there was no timeline yet.

So DeSantis, apparently fed up with Kirby’s moronic nonsense, and recognizing a Bidenic debacle shaping up on the scale of Afghanistan, said that’s it, enough was enough, and signed his own executive rescue order. Within hours the Governor tweeted “wheels up!”, signaling the first charter had already left, while the Biden Administration continued to explore other options.

Florida was ready to go, since it has already contracted with private air charters to help illegal migrants relocate to friendly sanctuary cities offering robust immigrant services up in the Northeast, like Martha’s Vineyard.

image 6.png

Come fly the freedom skies.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
He explained that the rescue flights were not limited to Floridians: “If there are people that are struggling to get to Georgia or New York or whatever, we’re all Americans, and we want to help people, but it is limited to Americans.”

The Biden administration “is going to charge people fleeing a war zone and then dump them in Greece,” he added. “They’re not even bringing them back to the United States. So we have more flights coming. The next one will be [Tuesday] morning. We are taking people from Israel, but we’re also going to stop in Athens, Greece, to pick up people that the federal government may have stranded, and so we anticipate many hundreds more that we’ll be able to rescue over the next couple of days and we’re happy to do it.”

He contrasted his actions with the Biden administration’s open borders. “You can come across the southern border, and the federal government will fly you all across the country, free of charge. They’ll put you up in nice hotels at taxpayer expense. They’re not charging the illegal aliens.”