Divorce and the last name.

Nicole_in_somd

How you like me now?
Chasey_Lane said:
If a couple gets divorced, should the wife be forced to go back to her maiden name? Why would she want to keep her ex-husbands last name anyhow? I think some keep it for simplicity and others because they still have feelings for their ex. Do they keep his name for their childrens sake? I'm just curious.

some do it just to piss the guy off, others may do it because of the kids when there is only one father of the kids. I cannot think of a reason why a women should keep her married name if it weren't for the kids and even then that is pushing it nowadays.

Nicole_in_somd

How you like me now?
Wenchy said:
I kept mine for simplicity (children/business etc) When I remarried I took DH's name.

DH's ex had his last name for years, but also changed it when she got remarried.

Not a big deal in either case, and it had absolutely nothing to do with feelings for the ex.
to me if you can change it when you get married or re married then it would be simple to change it right after the divorce.

Nicole_in_somd

How you like me now?
Wenchy said:
You chose her. :neener:

he probably chose her based on the "fake" her until the "real" her came out later. Same could be said for all those women #####ing about their ex husbands. Shait happens, get over it and move on is my motto.

Nicole_in_somd

How you like me now?
Chasey_Lane said:
See, and that is how I would feel, too. I would not want to keep my ex hubby's name under any circumstances. IMO, if the relationship ends in divorce, you give the ring back AND his name back! :lol:

YUP

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
C_Jo was upset that I didn't take his name right away. I told him his ex-wife had to give it back first. :lol:

W

Wenchy

Nicole_in_somd said:
to me if you can change it when you get married or re married then it would be simple to change it right after the divorce.

If the ex had a problem with it then I would have. There was no reason to before I got remarried. It was a simple "non-issue" for everybody involved.

Changing SS cards, your license, checking account, credit cards and numerous other items are not as simple as you might think. It's nothing that difficult, but it just wasn't necessary. He had his identity/life and I had mine regardless of last names.

When I did get remarried and changed my name, much time went into changing everything over...again, no biggie.

I never saw any reason before remarrying to go back to my maiden name. I guess that sums it up right there.

Nicole_in_somd

How you like me now?
Wenchy said:
If the ex had a problem with it then I would have. There was no reason to before I got remarried. It was a simple "non-issue" for everybody involved.

Changing SS cards, your license, checking account, credit cards and numerous other items are not as simple as you might think. It's nothing that difficult, but it just wasn't necessary. He had his identity/life and I had mine regardless of last names.

When I did get remarried and changed my name, much time went into changing everything over...again, no biggie.

I never saw any reason before remarrying to go back to my maiden name. I guess that sums it up right there.

I had no trouble changing everything over but I would not want to make a habit of it. That worked out great for you but I just did not feel comfortable carrying around his name when we were no longer married.

I dunno that is just me.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I kept my ex's last name when we divorced because that's who I was and that was my name. I still identify myself occasionally with my ex's last name (even though I've been remarried for over 8 years) because that's how people I don't regularly talk to think of me. I'd have kept it after Larry and I got married but that seemed disrespectful.

DID YOU KNOW.. that "Moore" isn't Demi's maiden name, but the last name of her first husband?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I kept my married name, easier because we have a child. Besides, my maiden name is also the name of a bad spy. :ohwell:

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
I wanted so bad to go back to my maiden name (daddys name) after the bastard left, but I couldnt cause of the kids. Why should my kids feel any more change/disruption than they already felt? SOOOOOO, when I got recently remarried I still kept my kids last name (the exs) - for their sake. And my husband is cool with it. He knows that I put the kids first and thats what he expects of me.

MDTerps

Back in the saddle
Chasey_Lane said:
See, and that is how I would feel, too. I would not want to keep my ex hubby's name under any circumstances. IMO, if the relationship ends in divorce, you give the ring back AND his name back! :lol:

The day my divorce was final, I started calling around to have my name changed back. First reason I went back was b/c I did not want his last name any longer then I had already had it. Second, I thought it would help him see I WAS NOT coming back to him. (didn't work but :ohwell:) I had it put in the divorce papers that I would return to my maiden name. If you don't do it that way, you will have to pay to have it changed. Not that your not paying your lawyer an arm and a leg any way.

We do have a child together but my son has always known that before his dad and I got married I had a differnt last name. When we got divorce I talked to my son about going back to that name and he was fine with it. The kids at school sometimes call me by mrs. B but since I'm at his school helping out so often the teacher introduced me as Miss. P. It doesn't matter which one they call me I answer to both.

Last edited:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I have a sorta goofed up last name, but it fits me. I like it's unique-ness. If I were to get married, I'd keep my maiden name just because it feels comfortable to me.