Divorce Question

L

lugebob

If keeping the lid on the "fight" or even a remote possibility of wanting to stop the divorce and separation is going to happen. I suggest you try a Controlled Separation (ref all over the net and a book) . It was somewhat stressful but my wife and I were able to agree on a contract of what was and was not allowed during the separation..while she moved out for the year.. and did not use a lawyer to do it. Boundaries were set that we negotiated and agreed on. If you leave things to natural ways one of you will piss off or hurt the other so bad a vengeful state will begin ending in a court battle. If you can negotiate the controlled separation you may find out there is hope.

Believe it or not you are still married for the entire time you are separated and laws and responsibilities still stand.

This is one of the tools that helped my wife and I get back together. It gave us a period of rest.

If it is already a legal war,,, never mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated

Mine started as a legal war...............total destruction of any kind of trust that was ever there between the wife and myself. Funny how they start the war over selfish reasons and hidden agendas and the blame is always on the one without a clue. Once the fine line between love and hate is crossed there's no turning back.

Time to put up the dukes and let that bia have it!!!!:boxing:

Rane

Lookin for Margaritaville
That was my situation also but kids were grown. We did our own divorce and I think it cost me $80. total.

Dye Tied, how do you go about doing your own divorce, I have heard many people do this but I am not sure how to do it ... TIA for any advice .

ShyGirl

If keeping the lid on the "fight" or even a remote possibility of wanting to stop the divorce and separation is going to happen. I suggest you try a Controlled Separation (ref all over the net and a book) . It was somewhat stressful but my wife and I were able to agree on a contract of what was and was not allowed during the separation..while she moved out for the year.. and did not use a lawyer to do it. Boundaries were set that we negotiated and agreed on. If you leave things to natural ways one of you will piss off or hurt the other so bad a vengeful state will begin ending in a court battle. If you can negotiate the controlled separation you may find out there is hope.

Believe it or not you are still married for the entire time you are separated and laws and responsibilities still stand.

This is one of the tools that helped my wife and I get back together. It gave us a period of rest.

Before our separation started, I drew up an unofficial "Non-Binding Notice of Intent" document. It reminded us of the concessions to each other that we had discussed and agreed to. Stuff like: I would stay in the house, ex would pay half the mortgage, I would transfer certain household accounts to my name, etc... Once one party is out of the house, you don't know what their influences will be and things can easily escalate out of control.

I also asked friends and family not to bash on my ex. I welcomed and appreciated their support of me. In supporting me, it didn't mean that they had to disrespect him. I had enough to deal with and didn't allow them to add more chaos, drama and emotional burden.

Most of the info in the Non-Binding Notice of Intent fed right into the Separation Agreement. I had decided to file the Separation Agreement and the Divorce Request at the same time at the end of the 1 year separation period. If junk between us had started, I would've filed the Separation Agreement at that time.

Prepared the documents for court myself, spent $100 for a lawyer to review the forms that I had prepared and paid $105 in court costs.

My sister, on the other hand, got into the nasty back-and-forth disputing and ended up spending $10,000+ on her divorce.

I'm sorry to say that the lady at the courthouse, who provides free advise to those preparing their own court documents, wasn't very much help to me.

Just remember, there's always a little bit of a struggle required to get through anything that is really worth doing... keep your chin up and your dignity about you. Wish you all the best!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I'm sorry to say that the lady at the courthouse, who provides free advise to those preparing their own court documents, wasn't very much help to me.

She pointed us to the documents we needed, and told is if we were missing some froms, but other than that, yeah, she can't provide much more without fear of someone saying.. "But she told me I didn't need to do that!!"

Friendly people, and we laughed with them quite a bit. They were real impressed that the ex and I were there together, and getting it done without yelling screaming and all the hysterics.

Course the 'master' was even more amused when we took our seats in front of him, I was sitting alone, and BG and my ex sat together.:lmao:

Rane

Lookin for Margaritaville
Prepared the documents for court myself, spent $100 for a lawyer to review the forms that I had prepared and paid $105 in court costs.

ShyGirl, I guess thats where I need the most help... I see where divorce papers can be downloaded on the internet for $299 and up depending on what papers are needed, the court clerk at the courthouse wasn't much help either, she was more interested in asking me if adultery was an issue and went on and on about being sure not to have incriminating evidence presented in court such as photos , etc ... sheesh ... anyways I am just wondering how I can get papers started myself , we have been seperated for over 2 1/2 years ( he is in Florida ) our son is over 18 and I just can't afford a $10,000 divorce .

itsbob

I bowl overhand
ShyGirl, I guess thats where I need the most help... I see where divorce papers can be downloaded on the internet for $299 and up depending on what papers are needed, the court clerk at the courthouse wasn't much help either, she was more interested in asking me if adultery was an issue and went on and on about being sure not to have incriminating evidence presented in court such as photos , etc ... sheesh ... anyways I am just wondering how I can get papers started myself , we have been seperated for over 2 1/2 years ( he is in Florida ) our son is over 18 and I just can't afford a $10,000 divorce .

Don't pay the $299, the forms are FREE at the courthouse.

At the St MAry's courthouse they are downstairs in the library. THey come with instructions, and they actually have classes you can attend if you are unsure.

You will have to pay to file the paperwork, but the paperwork itself is free.

If you do it by yourself you fill out all of the paperwork, then they send it to him an he has 'x' amount of days to contest, or make changes, then you go in front of the master by yourself (and a witness), he doesn't need to be there. ANd the same thing happens, the Master records everything for the final divorce they send a copy to him, and he has 10 days to contest it. After the ten days, if he doesn't contest, it's final and they send you both a copy of the final divorce.

ShyGirl

Go to the following website:
Maryland Judiciary

Then click on:
forms
family law forms
domestic relations
divorce

You can type in your personal detail on the forms, but I couldn't figure out a way to save them or take a readable snapshot of them.

I think that I still also still have the divorce books that I mentioned in my initial post. If you want them, pm me and I'll get them to you. Not today though - busy day.

:huggy:

godsbutterfly

Free to Fly
1 year with kids, 6 months without.

Yes

If one of you commits adultery, you can get a 30 day divorce, and a $10 fine, IF it is not contested.

:coffee:

My ex committed adultery but the lawyer said he or one of his partners would have to admit to it in Court! Yeah, okay! Like that was going to happen! That left me with doing the year of separation and then about 6 more months blah blah.