Divorce Question

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
My ex committed adultery but the lawyer said he or one of his partners would have to admit to it in Court! Yeah, okay! Like that was going to happen! That left me with doing the year of separation and then about 6 more months blah blah.

Yup. That's how it works.:lmao:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Go to the following website:
Maryland Judiciary

Then click on:
forms
family law forms
domestic relations
divorce

You can type in your personal detail on the forms, but I couldn't figure out a way to save them or take a readable snapshot of them.

I think that I still also still have the divorce books that I mentioned in my initial post. If you want them, pm me and I'll get them to you. Not today though - busy day.

:huggy:

Me and the ex (luckily we still get along) went to the courthouse together and sat down in the library about 10 minutes and filled them all out.

We saved about two weeks in time because she was there so we got to skip the letters, and rebuttal/ agreements..

But good for her to get more than one persons viewpoint on how we did it!

G

Gemmi

Here's a question that I need answered. We took out a mortgage to build a home before we were married. Both our names are on it. This would not be considered marital property then would it? If I file for divorce what happens with the house? I only want my personal items from it and nothing else when I leave. Does the house just stay in both of our names?

godsbutterfly

Free to Fly
Here's a question that I need answered. We took out a mortgage to build a home before we were married. Both our names are on it. This would not be considered marital property then would it? If I file for divorce what happens with the house? I only want my personal items from it and nothing else when I leave. Does the house just stay in both of our names?

Joint property unless one of you buys the other out. My lawyer advised us to sell and split the money but my ex was so ugly acting it ended up going into foreclosure.

G

Gemmi

Joint property unless one of you buys the other out. My lawyer advised us to sell and split the money but my ex was so ugly acting it ended up going into foreclosure.

Does that mean we have to sell? Can he live there and if he wants to sell we split it?

godsbutterfly

Free to Fly
Does that mean we have to sell? Can he live there and if he wants to sell we split it?

No, you don't have to sell. Anything you guys can work out in advance thru lawyers is great. My ex would not cooperate. Just be sure to get everything in writing. No verbal agreements no matter how friendly everything is at the moment. I could not afford to keep up the place alone. Held onto it for six months by myself and then the kids and I lost it because the ex wasn't doing right. That's why the lawyer had tried to get him to agree to sell it but he was being a jerk. So....we lost it instead and nobody got anything but a black smear on the credit reports. That man deserved a good :smack: . Hopefully your situation is workable and I wish you well.

G

Gemmi

No, you don't have to sell. Anything you guys can work out in advance thru lawyers is great. My ex would not cooperate. Just be sure to get everything in writing. No verbal agreements no matter how friendly everything is at the moment. I could not afford to keep up the place alone. Held onto it for six months by myself and then the kids and I lost it because the ex wasn't doing right. That's why the lawyer had tried to get him to agree to sell it but he was being a jerk. So....we lost it instead and nobody got anything but a black smear on the credit reports. That man deserved a good :smack: . Hopefully your situation is workable and I wish you well.

How about if we refinanced after we were married? Does that change anything?

ShyGirl

I had a lot of the same questions that you do about the house and got a lot of my questions answered from the IRS website.

You can't just refinance to be absolved of your responsibility. I think you would need to file a Quit Claim Deed.

If you sell the house or your ex buys out your half, you should probably also consider doing some research on capital gains.

My ex has always stated that he wants to buy out my half of the house. After our divorce, he moved back in, but I wasn't ready to move out yet. And we get along much better divorced than we ever did married!

:lmao: :shrug: :whack: :loser: :dance: :bawl: :yikes: :jameo: :cartwheel

:mixedemotions:

godsbutterfly

Free to Fly
How about if we refinanced after we were married? Does that change anything?

I honestly don't know about if you refinanced but if your name is still on the deed and on the mortgage note you are just as liable for the payments as he is regardless of if you are still living there or not. I had a lawyer for my divorce because I had three children and a jerk for a soon to be ex husband. He made nothing easy. I don't know where to send you for an answer for this. I will check around and see if I can find anything out for you.

Vince

I honestly don't know about if you refinanced but if your name is still on the deed and on the mortgage note you are just as liable for the payments as he is regardless of if you are still living there or not. I had a lawyer for my divorce because I had three children and a jerk for a soon to be ex husband. He made nothing easy. I don't know where to send you for an answer for this. I will check around and see if I can find anything out for you.
If one wants to keep the house you must get an appraisal, refinance in your name only, and pay the other off. I had to refinance to pay the ex off so I could keep a roof over my kids heads. Everything, deed, mortgage, etc. gets transfered to your name. My lawyer took care of all that and I had a copy of the deed and divorce papers put on file at the courthouse. Everything gets spelled out in the divorce decree.

Last edited:

MDTerps

Back in the saddle
My ex committed adultery but the lawyer said he or one of his partners would have to admit to it in Court! Yeah, okay! Like that was going to happen! That left me with doing the year of separation and then about 6 more months blah blah.

Yup. That's how it works.:lmao:

:yeahthat:

:high5:

Mine took 17 months. A year seperated, 5 months for the processing of the actual papers after the year was up. It would have only taken 13/14 months if the ex had signed the papers when they were sent to him after the year. But he thought if he didn't sign them then the divorce wouldn't go through. He still tells me today that we are not divorced, in gods eyes since he didn't sign them. :bigwhoop: I think he has fallen off his rocker.

If one wants to keep the house you must get an appraisal, refinance in your name only, and pay the other off. I had to refinance to pay the ex off so I could keep a roof over my kids heads. Everything, deed, mortgage, etc. gets transfered to your name. My lawyer took care of all that and I had a copy of the deed and divorce papers put on file at the courthouse. Everything gets spelled out in the divorce decree.

I did pretty much the same. I wanted the house, so we did a trade off; she kept her bank account, I kept the house. However, I still had to "buy my own home". I had to go thru a closing with the mortgage company to have the mortgage in my name only, and have the deed transferred to my name only. She had to sign over everything.

charlesctygal

In the State of Maryland, you must have lived separate and apart, without cohabitation for a period of one year. It does not matter if you have children or not, you will still need to be separated for this long. To make things easier, it is best to have a Separation Agreement done if you two can agree on everything. That way, when the year is up, the divorce can be done quicker. If no agreement is made, the divorce is contested, leaving anywhere from 4 months to a whole other year for hte divorce to be final. If you have children, you may be able to get a court hearing in before the year of separation, to determine where the children will reside, who will have custody, etc. It can be a long road, and it is best for the children, if the parents are able to work together and come to an agreement (and hopefully the parents will continue to agree on things in the future, otherwise, it gets nasty).

charlesctygal

Alot of people are able to prove adultery in court, however, you need the funds to do it. You will need to hire a private investigator to follow the person who you believe is committing adultery. The PI does a report, takes pics or video, and usually will have to be at the divorce hearing to testify about the evidence he gathered.

charlesctygal

YOU MUST MAKE SURE THAT THE ORIGINAL COMPLAINT FOR DIVORCE THAT GETS MAILED TO THE OTHER SPOUSE, MUST BE MAILED BY CERTIFIED MAIL, RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED, RESTRICTED DELIVERY, or have the Sheriff deliver them, or have a PI serve them, or anyone who is not a party to the divorce (meaning you or your spouse). This way you have proof of the person being served the docs. This proof must be returned to the court.

nobody really

I need a nap

quick claim deed. we had three properties when we divorced. dropped his name off the one i got, mine name off the one he got, and sold the third and split the profits.

ImnoMensa

You people who got off on the cheap are lucky.

I know of two cases in court right now that have run over $30,000 dollars apiece. The kids are the problem. Fighting for custody is an expensive process and women dont always make the best custodial parents.