Do Ladies Wear Slips Anymore?

Hide underwear because the dress might be too sheer, or to keep the dress/skirt from 'grabbing' your skin. Some dress material seems to 'grab' or cling to my skin sometimes, and the silky material of the tap pants allows the fabric to glide over my body and I don't have that problem anymore.

But if the dress is too sheer, wouldn't you be able to see your tap pants? And by grabs your skin, you mean gives you a wedgie? :lol:

I guess that makes sense though :yay:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
But if the dress is too sheer, wouldn't you be able to see your tap pants? And by grabs your skin, you mean gives you a wedgie? :lol:

I guess that makes sense though :yay:
:bonk: Quit over-thinking this!

Wouldn't you rather show your tap pants or slip than to show your butt?

If your clothes give you a wedgie, you are wearing clothes that are too damn tight. And when I say "you", I'm not saying "YOU". :lol:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
These are tap pants. They are made from the same silky material as a traditional slip, but they are actually "slip shorts", or whatever you want to call them. They provide a little modesty without being a full-coverage slip. I like them because they work really well under shorter sheath-style dresses.

Actually, my tap pants are slighly longer than this picture, but you get the idea of what I'm trying to say. I have them in white, nude, and black material to coordinate with whatever I'm wearing.
Ooh! Those are cuuute! I have a couple of shorter skirts those would be perfect for. Thanks, BG!

I love smileys, hehe

:bonk: Quit over-thinking this!

Wouldn't you rather show your tap pants or slip than to show your butt?

If your clothes give you a wedgie, you are wearing clothes that are too damn tight. And when I say "you", I'm not saying "YOU". :lol:

I'm an over-thinker :jet:

But...but...I don't think I'm showing my butt :ohwell: and I'm pretty good about matching my underoos to my clothes (I'm a weirdo). Plus I'd rather not look like my underwear are too big and bunching up or something. Seems like a lot of tucking....ummmm, I'm overthinking again aren't I? :blushing:

But you said YOU :jameo:

I'm an over-thinker :jet:

But...but...I don't think I'm showing my butt :ohwell: and I'm pretty good about matching my underoos to my clothes (I'm a weirdo). Plus I'd rather not look like my underwear are too big and bunching up or something. Seems like a lot of tucking....ummmm, I'm overthinking again aren't I? :blushing:

But you said YOU :jameo:
Mmmmm hmmmm... you were one of those that wore the see-through yoga pants...werntchu? :eyebrow:

Mmmmm hmmmm... you were one of those that wore the see-through yoga pants...werntchu? :eyebrow:

Eeek it was just that ONE time dammit! :lol: j/k!

Wasn't that Lululemon? Eff that, I'm not spending 80 plus dollars on a damn pair of yoga pants. Target has perfect good, non see-through yoga pants :yay:

I could be the spokeswoman for Target :biggrin:

belvak

Happy Camper
I don't wear many outfits anymore that require a slip, but I still have them and use them when necessary! Maybe slips started to "fall from grace" when the picture of Princess Diana wearing a skirt without one came out?

Pardon Me, Your Slip Is Not Showing

Princess Diana no slip.jpg

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I cannot name one friend of mine that uses "tap pants" OR slips...but we'll all gladly admit to wearing spanx of some form under our skirts :yay:

Maybe its a generation thing, but I've never worn slips and I'm very precautious to how see-through my clothing is. I think girls my age (mid 20s) associate them with their mothers and grandmothers (sorry) and we just see them as old-fashioned. That being said, I agree younger women do not take care to make sure their clothes fit properly or aren't see-through, or are office-appropriate all together. I sometimes think it should be a college course: dressing for your job. You'll find slobs of all ages in typical offices but my generation and those below are the worst offenders unfortunately.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
These are tap pants. They are made from the same silky material as a traditional slip, but they are actually "slip shorts", or whatever you want to call them. They provide a little modesty without being a full-coverage slip. I like them because they work really well under shorter sheath-style dresses.

Actually, my tap pants are slighly longer than this picture, but you get the idea of what I'm trying to say. I have them in white, nude, and black material to coordinate with whatever I'm wearing.

With or without I'm still wanting to tap that..

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I cannot name one friend of mine that uses "tap pants" OR slips...but we'll all gladly admit to wearing spanx of some form under our skirts

I think those are today's version of the girdle?

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I think those are today's version of the girdle?

Yep, but spanx still doesn't help me not know that someone is wearing spanx under their dress. :lol:

So, I guess what I've learned is some women think it's okay for their skirts to creep and to show their under-roos to g-d and everybody and other ladies don't. :shrug:

The women who don't wear slips choose not to because it's not fashionable in thier minds to wear a slip because they would rather show their underwear or lack there of and let their skirts creep up.

I personally have never thought of a slip as "fashionable", just "practical".

And after reading the article belvak provided, I now know that "the end of slips coincides with a diminished sense of modesty. Our social mores no longer conform to a world where nice girls wear skirts that don't cling."
:shrug:

Hmmm, which makes me wonder, do gentlemen still wear undershirts beneath dress shirts? I see many that do.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Yep, but spanx still doesn't help me not know that someone is wearing spanx under their dress. :lol:

what does spanx have to do with wearing underwear? :shrug: I wear spanx in a similar way to you wearing a slip. My underwear does not show. at. all. Spanx has nothing to do with that, it just "smoothes" me over a little for a better fit with the skirt?

So, I guess what I've learned is some women think it's okay for their skirts to creep and to show their under-roos to g-d and everybody and other ladies don't. :shrug:

The women who don't wear slips choose not to because it's not fashionable in thier minds to wear a slip because they would rather show their underwear or lack there of and let their skirts creep up.

And after reading the article belvak provided, I now know that "the end of slips coincides with a diminished sense of modesty. Our social mores no longer conform to a world where nice girls wear skirts that don't cling."

Hmmm, which makes me wonder, do gentlemen still wear undershirts beneath dress shirts? I see many that do.

I agree that younger girls seem to be lost on the point of being a little more modest, but please don't lump us all together. I make a point of looking professional at all times, and don't feel I need a slip to do so. Growing up my mother was a huge stickler about clothes: the fit, the look, if my undies showed, if it was see-through, etc. In fact, she introduced me to spanx fairly young, and still tisks me if my bra strap shows under a tank. (c'mon mom, I'm on vacation with a beer in my hand...)

If my skirt doesn't fit properly and "bunches up", or even hints at possibly exposing my underwear, I simply don't wear it. :shrug: When I buy clothes for work I do all sorts of "tests" to make sure they're appropriate all around. I'm frugal and broke so if I'll be spending money on a skirt, it will not be sitting in my closet and deemed "unwearable" because it bunches. A slip is not something I grew up wearing, as the same for most women my age, so using them is a little foreign to us. We all kind of see spanx as "the new slip". (at least the ones that care about how they look) In fact I'm wearing a nice Ann Taylor pencil skirt right now, with NO slip, and since the waist of it hits me right at my pudgiest, I'm not wearing spanx either! :faint: I promise I'm not flashing any of my coworkers, although some would appreciate if I did more than others! Nor is my panty-line showing, and its not clinging. :yay:

My social mores are just fine, thankyouverymuch :coffee: :buddies:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I agree that younger girls seem to be lost on the point of being a little more modest, but please don't lump us all together. I make a point of looking professional at all times, and don't feel I need a slip to do so. Growing up my mother was a huge stickler about clothes: the fit, the look, if my undies showed, if it was see-through, etc. In fact, she introduced me to spanx fairly young, and still tisks me if my bra strap shows under a tank. (c'mon mom, I'm on vacation with a beer in my hand...)

If my skirt doesn't fit properly and "bunches up", or even hints at possibly exposing my underwear, I simply don't wear it. :shrug: When I buy clothes for work I do all sorts of "tests" to make sure they're appropriate all around. I'm frugal and broke so if I'll be spending money on a skirt, it will not be sitting in my closet and deemed "unwearable" because it bunches. A slip is not something I grew up wearing, as the same for most women my age, so using them is a little foreign to us. We all kind of see spanx as "the new slip". (at least the ones that care about how they look) In fact I'm wearing a nice Ann Taylor pencil skirt right now, with NO slip, and since the waist of it hits me right at my pudgiest, I'm not wearing spanx either! :faint: I promise I'm not flashing any of my coworkers, although some would appreciate if I did more than others! Nor is my panty-line showing, and its not clinging. :yay:

My social mores are just fine, thankyouverymuch :coffee: :buddies:

1) The social mores quote came from the magazine article, you didn't read.

2) We can see your spanx.

terbear1225

wow. sure hope you don't fall off that high horse, you might break something.

I don't wear a slip, I find them extremely uncomfortable. I also do not show my "under-roos" to anyone other than bohman.

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville

How short are the dresses you are wearing that people would see your panties? Second how are you sitting that people would see up your skirt?

and third....a slip is nothing more then a second skirt, if either of the above are not followed it doesn't matter what kind of slip you are wearing, we will see your panties!

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Why, when I come into The Ladies Room, do I feel like a Peeping Tom hiding in septic tank? :ohwell: