Do preppers expect to survive when the big one hits?

gemma_rae

I can't take those World War Z zombies, they're way too fast for me.

My only hope is they would smell a disease on me, and that's definitely not a win-win situation.

Shaun of the Dead zombies are O.K. though.
You'd probably like those HomieHauler zombies then, they're real slow and their heads explode if you try to reason with them.:lol:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

“The Preppers Were Right All Along”

Better late than never, Bloomberg News ran a post today The Preppers Were Right All Along:

Preppers, as the community of bunker builders and food hoarders is known, emerged during the Cold War as fears of nuclear holocaust drove some people to go to great lengths to prepare for survival in a burned-out world. But as the movement persisted over the decades, it has been mostly ignored by mainstream society, myself included, which came to view preppers mainly as paranoid radicals.
So it’s more than a little uncomfortable to confront the reality that this fringe industry is increasingly mainstream. In fact, in an era of growing environmental volatility and geopolitical unrest, Augason and his competitors appear downright prescient, maybe even pragmatic.
Disaster after disaster has reminded us all of the disturbing premise underpinning prepper thinking: We’re increasingly at risk of being cut off from our normal food supply. One recent report predicts that the survival food industry, which now produces very roughly $500 million in annual sales (privately held manufacturers don’t like to share their numbers), will grow by $2.8 billion by 2026.
The growth of this industry speaks volumes about the fear mindset that has crept into mainstream consumer behavior. You probably have at least one friend, colleague or neighbor who has been toying with the idea of becoming a “prepper.” Maybe not building a full-on bunker, but lining their pantries with long-storage food in the event that another major storm, blizzard, wildfire or another public health crisis hits.

I wonder why prepping “has crept into mainstream consumer behavior”? The Bloomberg article centers on “climate change,” but the reality is that it’s the dangerous policies of the current federal government and many blue state governments which are strangling energy security and production for political purposes. From cancelled pipelines to increased red tape, we are being strangled of reliable energy supplies. New England faces natural gas shortages this winter while diesel fuel that makes the economy run is unsustainably expensive and in short supply.

LJ1999

"prepper" is a broad term that blankets a very wide range of behaviors and activity. ME?..I am "prepared" for another hurricane,. I'm prepared for any event that results in long-term loss of electrical power and fuel supplies..can feed 6-8 people for months. I have several levels of "get home bags" that we take with us when we travel. Some of those will support (and defend) two people for a month minimum..longer with any outside source of food. And so on. But none of my preps are focused on surviving a near-direct nuke. I think that facet of "prepping" deflects from the much wider range of things one can do to simply be prepared to avoid being a begging victim when the SHTF. You know..like DeeJay will be. :razz:
Yesterday while I was driving, I heard Dan Bongino talking about a way to protect your power/electricity at home if someone were to attack the power grid. It sounded like something you purchase and have an electrician install. It is supposed to keep you from losing electricity or from an outsider being able to control it. Does this ring a bell with anyone? (It's not a generator)

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yesterday while I was driving, I heard Dan Bongino talking about a way to protect your power/electricity at home if someone were to attack the power grid. It sounded like something you purchase and have an electrician install. It is supposed to keep you from losing electricity or from an outsider being able to control it. Does this ring a bell with anyone? (It's not a generator)
The only viable non-fuel backups I'm aware of are solar-powered, wind-powered, and hydro-electric systems.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I decided to look online to see where the local fallout shelters are, and there is not a list that I can find. I was thinking since we only have 10-15 minutes to get to a safe place that we should know where they are.

jrt_ms1995

I decided to look online to see where the local fallout shelters are, and there is not a list that I can find. I was thinking since we only have 10-15 minutes to get to a safe place that we should know where they are.
That's the idea; keep out the riff-raff by keeping the location secret! Maybe I'll PM you the location so the others here will still be excluded. ㊙️

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
St. Mary's County Shelters - "Emergency Shelters - During emergencies, St Mary’s County Department of Public Safety may open public shelters for citizens who may be required to evacuate their homes or workplaces. St Mary’s County Shelters are located in public schools. The three primary shelters are the area High Schools; Chopticon, Great Mills, and Leonardtown High Schools. Different shelters can be opened depending upon the emergency. To find out which shelters have been opened, listen to the radio, watch Channel 95, check the county website and/or call the emergency information hotline at 301-475-4911. "

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
That's the idea; keep out the riff-raff by keeping the location secret! Maybe I'll PM you the location so the others here will still be excluded. ㊙️
I have a few emergency meals that were given to me as a Christmas gift, I am getting my emergency kit together to include my eyeliner so I'll still be cute while we wait for the air to clear lol and Like Vrai I can't help repopulate but I know how to grow and cook food ;) . I would be an asset to have around so I could help the wounded animals by changing the name of the rescue to Lisa's "glow-in-the-dark" Critter Rescue.

jrt_ms1995

I have a few emergency meals that were given to me as a Christmas gift, I am getting my emergency kit together to include my eyeliner so I'll still be cute while we wait for the air to clear lol and Like Vrai I can't help repopulate but I know how to grow and cook food ;) . I would be an asset to have around so I could help the wounded animals by changing the name of the rescue to Lisa's "glow-in-the-dark" Critter Rescue.
That's good, but there's a chance we may have to, eventually, eat the animals. Maybe we should let a few more forumites in on the location; calories is calories, right? :whistle:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Grew up in deep snow country, so I learned early in life to be prepared to have to live off the pantry for quite a while.
I like to quip that I was ready for Y2K in 1968 when I joined the Boy Scouts.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I am prepped for a short time, maybe a few weeks, but if the big bomb hits, I hope I check out quickly. I don't want to walk around and watch my skin fall off, hair fall out, cough, gag, crawl... or fight for survival.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I am prepped for a short time, maybe a few weeks, but if the big bomb hits, I hope I check out quickly. I don't want to walk around and watch my skin fall off, hair fall out, cough, gag, crawl... or fight for survival.
We think people can be selfish and rude now ... wait until their life is in jeopardy and even the nice people will act like savages to get your food.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Does this ring a bell with anyone? (It's not a generator)
The only viable non-fuel backups I'm aware of are solar-powered, wind-powered, and hydro-electric systems.
^
He might have been talking about a battery backup system, lots of new ones and newer tech on the market now. Things like the Anker Powerhouse 767, Bluetti or EcoFlow are very small, portable systems that can provide 240VAC and substitute as a short term house backup, recharge from solar, wind or wall plug, but no electrician is needed, unless you have a 30 or 50amp generator plug installed outdoors to plug the battery backup into.

Funny this 'be prepared' thread came up now. For the past few days I've been experimenting with alcohol stoves again. Working on a design right now that can (tested and works) boil 2 cups of water in 4 min 30 seconds. Plenty for freeze dried rations.