Do you give 10%????

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
BS Gal said:
I got red karma for this. Go figure. How do you think it makes me feel that you are on the religious forum sending red? THAT is part of the reason I stopped going to church. People that pretend to be religious that are not and sneaking around being non-religious, but being something else when they go to church. What I said was to give some lightness to the forum. You need to go back to your church and ask forgiveness. I'm done.
I thought your remark about the oil companies was funny, myself! No red from me. :huggy:

morganj614

I am always amazed that people feel they must pay to worship their God. It all makes religion seem like the business it is. :ohwell: Goodness begins and home and it doesn't cost a thing.

itsbob said:
Give 10% to yourself, then the government nor your church will have to take care of you when you retire. 10% in an a GOOD IRA, you can retire and never have to work again in 20 years or less.

God doesn't need nor want my money, and this is what turned me of too organized religion to begin with.. even had a bishop tell me to pay my 10% and if I couldn't feed my family the church would help out. Then everything dealing with the church was centered on the tithe.. not if you were worthy or a good deserving christian, but EVERY interview ended with "Are you a full tithe payer?" No, I'm sorry you can't have salvation you didn't pay for it.. and I tried the 10% of my time.. shovelled the walks, cut the grass trimmed the bushes.. nope, that's not $$$'s doesn't count.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
itsbob said:
Give 10% to yourself, then the government nor your church will have to take care of you when you retire. 10% in an a GOOD IRA, you can retire and never have to work again in 20 years or less.

God doesn't need nor want my money, and this is what turned me of too organized religion to begin with.. even had a bishop tell me to pay my 10% and if I couldn't feed my family the church would help out. Then everything dealing with the church was centered on the tithe.. not if you were worthy or a good deserving christian, but EVERY interview ended with "Are you a full tithe payer?" No, I'm sorry you can't have salvation you didn't pay for it.. and I tried the 10% of my time.. shovelled the walks, cut the grass trimmed the bushes.. nope, that's not $$$'s doesn't count.
That is similar to the reason Martin Luther posted his 95 Thesis on the door of the Wittenberg Church. There was more interest in money that there was in the gospel or salvation. Rather than leaving the faith in Jesus, you should have found a new church.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
morganj614 said:
I am always amazed that people feel they must pay to worship their God. It all makes religion seem like the business it is. :ohwell: Goodness begins and home and it doesn't cost a thing.
I'm saddened by it. Too many churches seem to put forth that message. There are some big businesses out there that claim to be ministries and have gotten fat by taking advantage of people.

I just finished re-reading the book of Exodus this past week, and in there beginning with the 25th Chapter is a very detailed description of the Lord having Moses ask for contributions from the people to build a sanctuary. He was building a sanctuary where there was none - far different from taking contributions from the people to build a mansion for Moses and Aaron and his sons.

My point is that there was a job to be done with those contributions, not a profit to be made. Nowadays, it seems like churches and "Organized" denominations have lost sight of that. My relationship with the Lord is a very powerful and very personal one. We don't need a cathedral in which to commune.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
The original churches were autonomous. They were not identified as the church of Paul or the Church of Peter. Matter of fact, Paul got after the Corinthians for that very thing.

1 Corinthians 1:10-18

<sup id="en-NASB-28374">10</sup>Now I exhort you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all agree and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be made complete in the same mind and in the same judgment.

<sup id="en-NASB-28375">11</sup>For I have been informed concerning you, my brethren, by Chloe's people, that there are quarrels among you.

<sup id="en-NASB-28376">12</sup>Now I mean this, that each one of you is saying, "I am of Paul," and "I of Apollos," and "I of Cephas," and "I of Christ."

<sup id="en-NASB-28377">13</sup>Has Christ been divided? Paul was not crucified for you, was he? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

<sup id="en-NASB-28378">14</sup>I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius,

<sup id="en-NASB-28379">15</sup>so that no one would say you were baptized in my name.

<sup id="en-NASB-28380">16</sup>Now I did baptize also the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized any other.

<sup id="en-NASB-28381">17</sup>For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not in cleverness of speech, so that the cross of Christ would not be made void.

<sup id="en-NASB-28382">18</sup>For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
That is why I identify myself as a Christian and not as a Pentecostal, Baptist, Catholic, or the like.

The churches were called according to the area or city where they were located, the church at Laodicea, the church in Jerusalem, the church in Antioch, the church in Rome, etc. The apostles would travel to the individual churches and preach and they would send them letters. That is where the Pauline Epistles come from.

Someone saw that there were lots of tithes and offerings being collected at the various churches and figured if they could get all the money sent to a central location, it could be distributed to those who needed it. It was man trying to organize God's church that corrupted it. Has any organization run by men ever not been corrupted? The organization into a single church rather than individual churches led to a hierarchy, someone has to be at the top. Man, as usual, missed that Y'shua is at the top and no one else is. If a person is to be a minister, they must be a servant not a lord.

A man at the top always leads to missed purposes. The original person at the top may be completely altruistic and so the successor, but eventually, someone get in power that has their own interest above all others and greed and corruption sets in. I think that is how many organizations that call themselves Christian get to emphasize money and not the gospel. That is where flowing robes and jewel encrusted crowns and trappings come from.

GIjoeKungFUgrip

It can be confusing

You'll hear many different takes on tithing, but we have always given 10% of our gross salary. Sometimes to church other times to ministries associated with our church (overseas missions, relief aid). Yet we always seem to make ends meet and continue to be blessed by receiving gifts from Him.

R

remaxrealtor

morganj614 said:
Good point Morgan. I also ponder the 10% ratio. If someone is making $25,000, then maybe $2500 is workable into their budget, but if you make $200,000, 20 grand is a whole different ball game. However, someone on welfare who doesn't work is welcome to worship at any church, but they aren't responsible for any financial burden? Maybe I'm just tired, but it doesn't make sense to me.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
remaxrealtor said:
Good point Morgan. I also ponder the 10% ratio. If someone is making $25,000, then maybe $2500 is workable into their budget, but if you make $200,000, 20 grand is a whole different ball game. However, someone on welfare who doesn't work is welcome to worship at any church, but they aren't responsible for any financial burden? Maybe I'm just tired, but it doesn't make sense to me.

If you only make 25K $2500 is going to take away from something.

I don't think God is short on cash. Can't he just make some more? :confused:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
This should shed some light I hope.

Psalm 50:8-23

<sup id="en-NASB-14677">8</sup>"I do not reprove you for your sacrifices,
And your burnt offerings are continually before Me.
<sup id="en-NASB-14678">9</sup>"I shall take no young bull out of your house
Nor male goats out of your folds.
<sup id="en-NASB-14679">10</sup>"For every beast of the forest is Mine,
The cattle on a thousand hills.

<sup id="en-NASB-14680">11</sup>"I know every bird of the mountains,
And everything that moves in the field is Mine.
<sup id="en-NASB-14681">12</sup>"If I were hungry I would not tell you,
For the world is Mine, and all it contains.
<sup id="en-NASB-14682">13</sup>"Shall I eat the flesh of bulls
Or drink the blood of male goats?
<sup id="en-NASB-14683">14</sup>"Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving
And pay your vows to the Most High;

<sup id="en-NASB-14684">15</sup>Call upon Me in the day of trouble;
I shall rescue you, and you will honor Me."
<sup id="en-NASB-14685">16</sup>But to the wicked God says,
"What right have you to tell of My statutes
And to take My covenant in your mouth?
<sup id="en-NASB-14686">17</sup>"For you hate discipline,
And you cast My words behind you.

<sup id="en-NASB-14687">18</sup>"When you see a thief, you are pleased with him,
And you associate with adulterers.
<sup id="en-NASB-14688">19</sup>"You let your mouth loose in evil
And your tongue frames deceit.
<sup id="en-NASB-14689">20</sup>"You sit and speak against your brother;
You slander your own mother's son.
<sup id="en-NASB-14690">21</sup>"These things you have done and I kept silence;
You thought that I was just like you;
I will reprove you and state the case in order before your eyes.
<sup id="en-NASB-14691">22</sup>"Now consider this, you who forget God,
Or I will tear you in pieces, and there will be none to deliver.
<sup id="en-NASB-14692">23</sup>"He who offers a sacrifice of thanksgiving honors Me;
And to him who orders his way aright
I shall show the salvation of God.
"
You are right that God does not need your money or anything else. A person tithes in order to be obedient to God. It is prescribed as the right thing to do in the Bible.

supersurfer

2ndAmendment said:
I choose not to rob God.
I choose not to believe the Bible, but if I did, I wouldn't try to twist the verses to fit my agenda, or the agenda of my pastor/church.

You quoted "Malachi 3:8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings."

Back up a little there, Who is "God" talking to there?
Well, to find that out, you'd have to back all the way up to Malachi 2:1, which says, "And now, O ye priests, this commandment is for you."

Wow, the priest were robbing "God", just like they are doing today.

I'm willing to debate tithing with you, What say you? :popcorn:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
supersurfer said:
I choose not to believe the Bible, but if I did, I wouldn't try to twist the verses to fit my agenda, or the agenda of my pastor/church.

You quoted "Malachi 3:8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings."

Back up a little there, Who is "God" talking to there?
Well, to find that out, you'd have to back all the way up to Malachi 2:1, which says, "And now, O ye priests, this commandment is for you."

Wow, the priest were robbing "God", just like they are doing today.

I'm willing to debate tithing with you, What say you? :popcorn:
I'd say you are here just to cause hate and discontent.

The giving of the tithe is in far more verses of the Bible that the verse in Malachi; there are 31 verses, 26 in the Old Testament and 5 in the New Testament. You are correct that the admonishment in Malachi is to the priests, but that does not mean that we are not to learn from the admonishment, so there is no twist.

The idea that you want to argue is of the flesh.
Galatians 5:17-21

<sup id="en-NASB-29180">17</sup>For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please.

<sup id="en-NASB-29181">18</sup>But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law.

<sup id="en-NASB-29182">19</sup>Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality,

<sup id="en-NASB-29183">20</sup>idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions,

<sup id="en-NASB-29184">21</sup>envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
I choose to follow the Spirit.
Galatians 5:22-26

<sup id="en-NASB-29185">22</sup>But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

<sup id="en-NASB-29186">23</sup>gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

<sup id="en-NASB-29187">24</sup>Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

<sup id="en-NASB-29188">25</sup>If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.

<sup id="en-NASB-29189">26</sup>Let us not become boastful, challenging one another, envying one another.
We have no common ground for understanding since, you are by your own admission do not believe the Bible so are of the flesh, and I, because of the Holy Spirit within me, am of the Spirit.

The discussion of the tithe is complete as far as I am concerned so take your spirit of dispute elsewhere for an argument.

supersurfer

2ndAmendment said:
I'd say you are here just to cause hate and discontent.
Have I said anything hateful towards you?

:RunRabbitRun
2A said:
The giving of the tithe is in far more verses of the Bible that the verse in Malachi; there are 31 verses, 26 in the Old Testament and 5 in the New Testament.
Circumcision is in a lot of verses too, but as I understand Christianity, it is no longer required because Christians are no longer under the law but grace.
I put forth the argument that the tithe falls under the catagory or the law as well.

Can you or your church trace there heritage back to the Levites?
Deut. 14:28, 29 (NIV) 28At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 29so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the aliens, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.

Ever throw a party and get drunk with you tithes?
Deu 14:22 Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.
Deu 14:23 And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.
Deu 14:24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; [or] if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee:
Deu 14:25 Then shalt thou turn [it] into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose:
Deu 14:26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,

2A said:
The idea that you want to argue is of the flesh. I choose to follow the Spirit. We have no common ground for understanding since, you are by your own admission do not believe the Bible so are of the flesh, and I, because of the Holy Spirit within me, am of the Spirit.

The discussion of the tithe is complete as far as I am concerned so take your spirit of dispute elsewhere for an argument.
Translation=I have nothing to support my claim that a christian is supposed to tithe.

supersurfer

2ndAmendment said:
The idea that you want to argue is of the flesh. I choose to follow the Spirit. We have no common ground for understanding since, you are by your own admission do not believe the Bible so are of the flesh, and I, because of the Holy Spirit within me, am of the Spirit.
You are so much better than me. :sarcasm:

V

Vixen

I did a quick skim of this thread....

But I am curious about something. :confused:

Where did the 10% amount come from? Who decided 10% was the amount.

I will look again. *ahem* I am sure somebody asked this already.

V

Vixen

I am not disagreeing with tithing. I come from a strong CMA background and was raised to believe you gave 10% to the church (even after my mother changed denominations). I can see in the Old Testament in Malachi chapter 3 vs. 6 and what follows says “In tithes and offerings” just like I see in other parts but unless you point it out, I do not see where it says “one-tenth” in the King James Version.

This is out of the New Living Translation I searched that online.

results:

Your search on "one-tenth" yielded 3 matches.
Numbers 18:28 You must present one-tenth of the tithe received from the Israelites as a gift to the LORD. From this you must present the LORD's portion to Aaron the priest.

Deuteronomy 14:22 "You must set aside a tithe of your crops--one-tenth of all the crops you harvest each year.

I donate a considerable about of money to Hospice every year 4% of our over all salary thru payroll deduction. Other organizations only equal about 2% and most of that is to St. Jude’s Hospital. ß-- This is BEFORE taxes or any other deductions are taken out.

This is where I go against the grain of my family. As you can see, we donate 6% of our income BEFORE TAXES to charitable organizations. In all honestly, our contribution to the church hasn’t been more than 1-2% for years. My uncle and my father believe 10% is 10% and it is to the church. I feel that these organization work for the good of mankind and should be included. I am constantly ensuring there is nothing wasted in the fact that when clothes are outgrown, they are also shipped off to charity and including furniture or anything else we have that we no longer use.

I think in a day and age when we pay taxes on EVERYTHING and that eats up a considerable amount of most of all of our incomes, 10% is tough and scary amount to toss at people and for many it could make a difference on putting food on the table or not.

I feel something, anything, is better than nothing. Just because other I know don’t donate anything to charity or the church or donate less doesn’t make me think any less of them, nor should it.

Some may not have the money but they have time to give. Like I said – something, anything is better than nothing and I also believe that should include giving to charitable organizations.

Last edited by a moderator:
V

Vixen

supersurfer said:
The definition of a tithe is a tenth, or 10%.

Ok, the post I made that follows shows along the lines of what I was getting at.

We see it clearly SPELLED OUT in other versions written after the King James Version but why wasn't the need there to spell it out before?

It doesn't change my opinion that "something/anything" is better than nothing.

supersurfer

The word tithe from Strong's Concordance:

4643 ma`aser mah-as-ayr'

or maasar {mah-as-ar'}; and
(in plural) feminine maasrah
{mah-as-raw'}; from 6240; a
tenth; especially a tithe:--
tenth (part), tithe(-ing).

see HEBREW for 06240