Do you remember?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I remember that, too.

I'm trying to remember the proximity of the old "Park" movie theater to that picture. The WPTX radio station window was down the street from the theater. Somewhere I have a picture of my dad standing outside of it. He did a "teen show" on Friday nights.

He took me & my brother down the street one Saturday and we watched the Beatles' movie Hard Days Night while he was at the station, too. The movie theater manager kept an eye on it. I guess back in those days, it was safe! :lol:

The Plaza theatre was approximately where the picture was taken. The Park was across GM Road close to where The Mixing Bowl is now and across the alley from Peking Restaurant. Back when I remember it, there was a Rexall drug store, Pat's Bar, and Little Billy's near it.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
The Plaza theatre was approximately where the picture was taken. The Park was across GM Road close to where The Mixing Bowl is now and across the alley from Peking Restaurant. Back when I remember it, there was a Rexall drug store, Pat's Bar, and Little Billy's near it.

Maybe it was called the Plaza. I was trying to Google it, but had some interruptions. This was the most I could find - check out the entries under 1962

Park History – The Lexington Park Leader : The Lexington Park Leader

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

:yay: But I was thinking that was probably the location. I really need to try and dig out that old photo of my dad. Maybe this weekend!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Maybe it was called the Plaza. I was trying to Google it, but had some interruptions. This was the most I could find - check out the entries under 1962

Park History – The Lexington Park Leader : The Lexington Park Leader

I will guarantee The Plaza theater was close to where the picture was taken - probably on the balcony of the hotel next door. We lived in the Colony Square Townhouses (next to Lexington Park Elementary) in the late 60s-early 70s and I walked there, and many other destinations in the LP area, many times. :lol:

Radiant1

Soul Probe
I will guarantee The Plaza theater was close to where the picture was taken - probably on the balcony of the hotel next door.

The pic was likely taken from the hotel. The theater was down from the hotel. I used to work at the Pub LaCasa and later the hotel when it became the Skipjack Inn.

dave1959

Went back and looked. The photo of The Hub and surrounding is actually of a picture hanging in Linda's Cafe and the date is 1953.

I remember shopping at The Hub in the mid-late 70s and getting Levi's for $9.99. :lol:

I thought the HUB was a furniture store ????

sockgirl77

Some old photos from St. Mary's County I've found off of Facebook. Enjoy!

I remember the Belvedere. I had a few prom dinners there. I also remember climbing on a ladder that was on the back of a truck to sit on the cow to take pics for a scavenger hunt. Oooooh and I have fond memories of the Boulevard when it was open. I got totally wasted on several occasions there. Great times! :buddies:

bilbur

Some old photos from St. Mary's County I've found off of Facebook. Enjoy!

I was born in 76 so most of the photos are before my time but I was born in Leonardtown, raised in Hollywood, and now live in California. I can remember 235 being 1 lane with nothing but trees and a few houses on either side of the road almost to Lexington Park. I was young when Wildewood was being built but I can vaguely remember the start of that construction. I loved the way this place used to be but I wouldn't have the job I have if it wasn't for expansion and progress.

sockgirl77

I was born in 76 so most of the photos are before my time but I was born in Leonardtown, raised in Hollywood, and now live in California. I can remember 235 being 1 lane with nothing but trees and a few houses on either side of the road almost to Lexington Park. I was young when Wildewood was being built but I can vaguely remember the start of that construction. I loved the way this place used to be but I wouldn't have the job I have if it wasn't for expansion and progress.

I was born a year after you and lived in Hollywood. We moved here the year that Wildewood was being built. It sure has changed since then. :lol:

bohman

Where was the Belvedere? I didn't get here until '96. I've heard of it before but that's all.

TPD

the poor dad
:nono:

The Hub was a clothing store. They were the "go to" place for cool clothes like Levi's and Ocean Pacific :lol:

I think I had every color of corduroy that Levis made. And Iloved my OP shorts! Just down from the Hub was Deitz Shoes - the place I bought my first pair of Nikes. I was one cool looking 15 year old in my white Nikes and purple OP shorts that were as short as daisy dukes!

The Hub was also the go to place for Catholic school uniforms.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Here is another perspective of the same image. I've had this postcard for a number of years, and I just searched it out because of this thread.

There is writing on the back of the postcard. It reads: "It is beautiful here. Weather is so nice. Went to the base today. No coats. I'm going to Margie's Wed and will leave Sunday for Boston. Love Thelma". The postmark reads April 24, 1951.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:

Blister

:lol:

The Belvedere *was* quite the place back in the day, though!

I have dim childhood memories of eating at the Belvedere. It was some very special occasion. Growing up around Bryantown, going to Lexingtom Park was a trip to the "BIG CITY" to me.

I was just learning to read and I was just young enough or just dumb enought to think that we really wer passing through "THE" Hollywood, and California like my older brother told me. I was seriously looking for the Beverly Hillbillies, and disappointed when I didn't see them.:geek:

DEEKAYPEE8569

I have dim childhood memories of eating at the Belvedere. It was some very special occasion. Growing up around Bryantown, going to Lexingtom Park was a trip to the "BIG CITY" to me.

I was just learning to read and I was just young enough or just dumb enought to think that we really wer passing through "THE" Hollywood, and California like my older brother told me. I was seriously looking for the Beverly Hillbillies, and disappointed when I didn't see them.:geek:

When I mention Hollywood or California MD to folks not from here, I get the "No kiddin'?" look.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Here is another perspective of the same image. I've had this postcard for a number of years, and I just searched it out because of this thread.

There is writing on the back of the postcard. It reads: "It is beautiful here. Weather is so nice. Went to the base today. No coats. I'm going to Margie's Wed and will leave Sunday for Boston. Love Thelma". The postmark reads April 24, 1951.

Very cool! Thanks for posting this other view of "downtown LP City."