Do you remember?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
A few more...

Finishing the Governor Thomas Johnson bridge in 1977, finally linking lower Calvert to St. Mary's.
Hill's Halfway House at the 235/5 intersection in Mechanicsville, now a Wawa.
Red's Chevron at the intersection of 235 and Chancellors, later became Hewitt's Service Center, then demolished to build Sheetz.
Rustler Steak House at the corner of St. Mary's Square in Lexington Park, now an auto parts place.
St. Mary's Square back in 1985.

Attachments

• Governor Tomas Johnson Bridge 1977.jpg
    Governor Tomas Johnson Bridge 1977.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 178
  • Halfway House.jpg
    Halfway House.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 171
  • Red's Chevron 235 & Chancellors.jpg
    Red's Chevron 235 & Chancellors.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 176
  • Rustler Steak House.jpg
    Rustler Steak House.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 178
  • St. Mary's Square 1985.jpg
    St. Mary's Square 1985.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I was a late comer to the area, but I remember Red's as Hewitts before he moved and the building got torn down for Sheetz.

Oh heck, I remember when they put the light in at that intersection. :lol: Mr. Hewitt sold that property for a pretty penny if I remember correctly.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
My Grandfather used to place OTB on the Horses at Black Steer with the Owner back in the 60's . :whistle:

Before my legal time and was aware of such things. Who owned it back then? Didn't it become Earl's or am I thinking of some other place?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Any pic's of the old Ark & Dove, Two Spot, Elephants Trunk? I remember Hewitt's at the old location. I have been here since 1990.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Any pic's of the old Ark & Dove, Two Spot, Elephants Trunk? I remember Hewitt's at the old location. I have been here since 1990.

I've seen one or two pictures of the various reincarnations of the Ark & Dove but need to find them again.

I haven't seen any of the Two Spot club or Elephants Trunk yet. I loved, loved, LOVED that kitschy store and have some things still that I bought there, but most purchases I made there were for gifts.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I've seen one or two pictures of the various reincarnations of the Ark & Dove but need to find them again.

I haven't seen any of the Two Spot club or Elephants Trunk yet. I loved, loved, LOVED that kitschy store and have some things still that I bought there, but most purchases I made there were for gifts.

I loved to shop there too. Funny little store dog. would follow you around.

Also, there was big old pink farmhouse where the Deloitte building is. Old black guy fared there and sold his goods on a wagon by 235.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Oh heck, I remember when they put the light in at that intersection. :lol: Mr. Hewitt sold that property for a pretty penny if I remember correctly.

Me too. I grew up in Vrai's current 'hood (same street I think). Does anyone remember The Happy Hamburger? :lol:

I was never in the Elephant's Trunk, but I do remember there used to be a little seafood outlet next to it, or very near it. When I lived in NY and flew down on the corporate Beechcraft to Pax, the pilots would always run to the store and get a bushel of crabs just before we flew back.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
Me too. I grew up in Vrai's current 'hood (same street I think). Does anyone remember The Happy Hamburger? :lol:

Been here since 1979, Oh ya, they were good!, Tennyseans (Sp?) Bar some mean Pitch games went on there. Hey are there any Post Cards of THE OFFICE ;-)))

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Been here since 1979, Oh ya, they were good!, Tennyseans (Sp?) Bar some mean Pitch games went on there. Hey are there any Post Cards of THE OFFICE ;-)))

Tennyson's Bar would sell cigarettes and Boone's Farm to 11-year-old kids. Don't ask me how I know.

I used to play Pitch a lot, but that was over 20 years ago and now I can't remember how! :shocked: