Do you think police in Southern Md. are respected?

tom88

Do you have respect for police officers in the County you live in or do you feel they do a poor job?

Explain your answer?

protectmd

I respect anyone who fears going into such neighborhoods as "the meadows", old school gallery place, bannister apt's at night, carrington in general, holly station.... and enjoys writing traffic tickets to speeding soccer moms that use crackheads as speedbumps once a week in waldorf or laplata. lol. j/k

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
For the most part yes, but there are a few out there that really erk me. Especially the young, cocky ones...they are the ones that drive through my neighbor hood from dusk until dawn *harassing* people. I do not think that sitting on the back of MY car with a neighbor is reason enough to stop and yell to us "Yall got anything illegal going on?" And then they have the nerve to get pissy if you tell them "A Newport isn't illegal" WTF? You were talking to me! I have a problem with them speeding through the neighborhood everyday, not paying attention to the kids that are outside. Kids that *are* being supervised. Like I said...most of them are respectable...the young ones...they get no respect...mainly because they give none. And I don't care if you have a badge or not, you give no respect...you sure as hell aren't getting none from me in return. JMO

protectmd

I completely agree, respect is earned, never given. You might have been given a badge at that academy, but they gotta EARN respect from the community... not their peers. Cleatus the slack jawed yokel riding around in his nice shiney new crown vic asking local kids smoking cigarettes if they have anything illegal going on isn't a good investigative technique. lol. If they just had got done murdering their neighor do you think that they would honestly confess right then and there?

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
protectmd said:
I completely agree, respect is earned, never given. You might have been given a badge at that academy, but they gotta EARN respect from the community... not their peers. Cleatus the slack jawed yokel riding around in his nice shiny new crown vic asking local kids smoking cigarettes if they have anything illegal going on isn't a good investigative technique. lol. If they just had got done murdering their neighbor do you think that they would honestly confess right then and there?

I know, right? I may not live in the best neighborhood...some even refer to it as the new "ghetto" of LPC, but you would think by now that this same cocky kid would figure out that the cul-de-sac I am in is OK. If it was just a time or two that it happened it would be one thing, but to deal with these same few day in and out is just ridiculous. I know that when they come it isn't because of a noise complaint...I have a scanner inside...and the cul-de-sac is pretty empty. Most of the neighbors are always outside in the evening. And since we are always outside I know for a fact that the kids are supervised. He does it to be a jerk, he has succeeded in being a jerk and there isn't a damn thing that we can do about it.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
protectmd said:
I completely agree, respect is earned, never given. You might have been given a badge at that academy, but they gotta EARN respect from the community... not their peers. Cleatus the slack jawed yokel riding around in his nice shiney new crown vic asking local kids smoking cigarettes if they have anything illegal going on isn't a good investigative technique. lol. If they just had got done murdering their neighor do you think that they would honestly confess right then and there?

Ya'll got anything illegal goin on?

Sounds like a pretty good Ice breaker. How else is a light hearted way to break the ice and communicate with citizens:shrug:

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
Dougstermd said:
Ya'll got anything illegal goin on?

Sounds like a pretty good Ice breaker. How else is a light hearted way to break the ice and communicate with citizens:shrug:

If it was occasionally I could see your point. If it was not always the same two I could see your point. But it is almost every day and it is always the same two...so I don' think that is a light hearted way to break the ice and communicate with citizens. Our cul-de-sac is mainly young, working families. All neighbors know each other...there is no drama. I understand patrolling through as a potential crime deterrent, but what I described in my previous posts was harassment.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
maxima87 said:
If it was occasionally I could see your point. If it was not always the same two I could see your point. But it is almost every day and it is always the same two...so I don' think that is a light hearted way to break the ice and communicate with citizens. Our cul-de-sac is mainly young, working families. All neighbors know each other...there is no drama. I understand patrolling through as a potential crime deterrent, but what I described in my previous posts was harassment.

I do not see it that way. If he is patroling the area he know who you are and knows you are not the problem. I think you are taking it all wrong

they are assigned thier area for usually a longterm

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
Dougstermd said:
I do not see it that way. If he is patrolling the area he know who you are and knows you are not the problem. I think you are taking it all wrong

they are assigned their area for usually a longterm

Perhaps I may be taking the wrong way. The tone of his voice, his demeanor...everything. You are right though...he is doing his job. At least my cul-de-sac is crime free...more than I can say for the rest of the neighborhood! Even though I don't consider anything or anyone out of my circle to be in the same neighborhood!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
maxima87 said:
Perhaps I may be taking the wrong way. The tone of his voice, his demeanor...everything. You are right though...he is doing his job. At least my cul-de-sac is crime free...more than I can say for the rest of the neighborhood! Even though I don't consider anything or anyone out of my circle to be in the same neighborhood!
Next time, get up, walk over and thank him for patrolling your neighborhood and keeping it crime free.. take the time to shake his hand, build some rapport with the guy. Build a relationship so next time he comes through maybe he can have something nicer and more thought provoking to say. At this point he doesn't know you from Adam, make it so he knows you are in a GOOD way. If you act like you want him there, he may drive through more often, pay a little closer attention to your house when you aren't there.. and keep the criminals out, or a little further away.

It sounds to me like he's TRYING to do his part, just his social skills are lacking.

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
itsbob said:
Next time, get up, walk over and thank him for patrolling your neighborhood and keeping it crime free.. take the time to shake his hand, build some rapport with the guy. Build a relationship so next time he comes through maybe he can have something nicer and more thought provoking to say. At this point he doesn't know you from Adam, make it so he knows you are in a GOOD way. If you act like you want him there, he may drive through more often, pay a little closer attention to your house when you aren't there.. and keep the criminals out, or a little further away.

It sounds to me like he's TRYING to do his part, just his social skills are lacking.

Maybe I will give it a try...be a little more social with him. I won't give anymore smartass comments to his same question. Heck, he probably thinks that we all have the munchies as much as we cook on the grill. Might offer him a burger...he is too young for a beer!

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
I have a tremendous respect for the local deputies/troopers and have never really needed one up until recently. They failed me on several occasions recently. I was very disappointed.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
They get an "A" on everything except loud music abatement. I have told them repeatedly but NOTHING is EVER done in my hood. They're great on drugs & violent crimes here in the dorf, even though they'll never stop it all. I told them that, at times, loud music is an alert to other drug users. I've seen thugs crusing around the hood and then stopping and asking kids if they want some crack. But the cops famous line to me is: "call us back if it happens again". YEAH! And when I do...? I quit Crime Watch after 8 years as President because of the lack of enforcement. Crime watch is useless unless the cop actually catches them in the act. Fat chance.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
ItalianScallion said:
They get an "A" on everything except loud music abatement. I have told them repeatedly but NOTHING is EVER done in my hood. They're great on drugs & violent crimes here in the dorf, even though they'll never stop it all. I told them that, at times, loud music is an alert to other drug users. I've seen thugs crusing around the hood and then stopping and asking kids if they want some crack. But the cops famous line to me is: "call us back if it happens again". YEAH! And when I do...? I quit Crime Watch after 8 years as President because of the lack of enforcement. Crime watch is useless unless the cop actually catches them in the act. Fat chance.
They must be better up there in Charles.

tom88

BS Gal said:
I have a tremendous respect for the local deputies/troopers and have never really needed one up until recently. They failed me on several occasions recently. I was very disappointed.

Well tell us how they let you down?

JohnnyReb

I believe officers in Southern Maryland are respected by the public despite the efforts of the St. Mary's Today. The only department where I have seen a respect issue when dealing with the public is the La Plata Police Department. Many times citizens will ask for the CCSO to respond.

Last edited:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
tom88 said:
Well tell us how they let you down?
I'm not going into it. Let's just say they were non-responsive and when they did show up, they TOTALLY screwed up, even according to their own department.