Dockworkers strike

OccamsRazor

I rarely read your threads because they're always this string of Twitter posts and replies etc etc that is impossible to follow. Even in other threads when you start bombing them with dozens of Twitter strings I stop reading.

I'm not trying to be a bitch but it would be helpful if you'd stop doing that.
:killingme

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
No one is entitled to more money, just because the company has a few profitable years ....

I'm not buying the whining - we worked during the Dark Covid Times ... FU, covid had a 99% survival rate .... tell your story walking, you were more likely to be killed in a car accident or something job related then to die of Covid

Part if the issue is the money flowing in for the Health benefits of the current employees is paying for the retirees

IMHO Automation is coming and the UNION will not stop that .... demanding someone be on the payroll MANUALLY inputting container data in the system is ridiculous ....

Oh and the UNION wants a fee for ' touching ' EVERY container flowing through the port.

Clem72

No one is entitled to more money, just because the company has a few profitable years ....

I'm not buying the whining - we worked during the Dark Covid Times ... FU, covid had a 99% survival rate .... tell your story walking, you were more likely to be killed in a car accident or something job related then to die of Covid

Part if the issue is the money flowing in for the Health benefits of the current employees is paying for the retirees

IMHO Automation is coming and the UNION will not stop that .... demanding someone be on the payroll MANUALLY inputting container data in the system is ridiculous ....

Oh and the UNION wants a fee for ' touching ' EVERY container flowing through the port.
They are going to shoot themselves in the foot, I don't think it would be enforceable to disallow the companies from automating after the terms of the contract. So even if they get them to agree to 5 years (or whatever the term is) of no automation and higher wages, these systems are already in place in other ports around the world. The companies just need to build out redundant control systems and the day their contract expires switch over and say "so long, and thanks for all the fish".

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
So even if they get them to agree to 5 years (or whatever the term is) of no automation and higher wages, these systems are already in place in other ports around the world.

Apparently there is a 99% automated port on the West Coast ... the ONLY guy onsite is this worker in a crane that picks up the sea containers off of the ships, after he lowers this down, everything else is automated

the V-Blogger ' What's Going on With Shipping ' mentions this ... in one of the videos I posted previously
800 guys put OUT OF WORK ....

I'm not going to shed a tear

Like Min Wage workers demanding $ 25 per hour or higher ... go on, price yourself out of a JOB

Mafia Thug has specifically said he needs to ' keep ' his guys on the job, to keep the money flowing in for the Retiree's

IMHO that Ponzi scheme is going to collapse sooner of later

The biggest road block is upgrading existing ports .... all new ports / terminals - dead simple

China did this is Shanghi, this has been done in Rotterdam

The future of automated ports

glhs837

Power with Control
GIF by South Park

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Someone was complaining on the socials that their sons cruise ship can't dock after returning from a cruise. True or false?

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Blockchain, they say, will end the schemes, scams, corruption at the ports that has enabled Harold Daggett to get rich. Perhaps, his money train is about to be cut off?

The West Coast is already automated, from my understanding, and now this will complete the East Coast? They say the use of ISO 20022 in SWIFT cross-border payments will start in March 2023 with a coexistence phase up to November 2025, where the old MT messages for cross-border payments and cash reporting will be replaced.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

I know it's fashionable to side with the faceless soulless mystery that is the US Maritime Alliance against the union workers, but I'm not a fashionable person. I think workers should be rewarded, especially when they're essential and do a labor job that nobody else wants to do. When you think about who makes all the money in this country....what do those people really contribute? If they disappeared overnight would we miss them?

I'm trying to find out who pays dock workers and how they get paid. Somebody cuts a check - who is it? Not having any luck finding that information. I'm assuming the USMX gets paid and they pay everyone on the downline but I don't know that, I'm just guessing.

Who knows the answer?

I ask because I'd like to see what those folks are pulling down. It always happens that lower tier workers want more money and the obscenely rich fat cats who control the purse strings recoil in horror, then go buy another yacht to console themselves. I'm guessing they could pay the dock workers more and give them the bennies they want and it would be no sweat off their ass, but they won't.

Things are so complicated anymore and I'm pretty sure the overlords did that on purpose. I just don't think there needs to be billionaires while people are having a hard time buying basic groceries and keeping a roof over their head. Especially when those billionaires give obscene amounts of money to rich politicians who then blather about "equity".

Reactions: BOP

Clem72

I know it's fashionable to side with the faceless soulless mystery that is the US Maritime Alliance against the union workers, but I'm not a fashionable person. I think workers should be rewarded, especially when they're essential and do a labor job that nobody else wants to do.
But that's the point. They AREN'T essential, like at all. The only thing keeping them in place is them holding the economy hostage.

Let's say you hired a nanny for your newborn, maybe you're a single parent that works long hours, whatever it's just an analogy.

You really needed that nanny for the first 4 years of the kids life, like 12 hours a day every day. Then you only kinda needed them for a couple hours a day before and after school for a few years. Eventually you really didn't need the nanny, but she seems intent to stay and rather than have a fight you keep her on.

Now the kid is 17 and about to graduate high school and go to college, but rather than move on to another child, the nanny decides she will hold the kid hostage at gunpoint while telling you to sign a contract for her continue working indefinitely regardless of the need for her services.

The docks could have transitioned away from the need for these guys years ago, it's only the union and threat of crippling the economy that has prevented this.

black dog

Free America

Its simple, with your thinking, all companies have to do is stop showing up to the bargaining table.
Go non-union, go and train a completely new work force and stay non-union.

black dog

Free America
But that's the point. They AREN'T essential, like at all. The only thing keeping them in place is them holding the economy hostage.

Let's say you hired a nanny for your newborn, maybe you're a single parent that works long hours, whatever it's just an analogy.

You really needed that nanny for the first 4 years of the kids life, like 12 hours a day every day. Then you only kinda needed them for a couple hours a day before and after school for a few years. Eventually you really didn't need the nanny, but she seems intent to stay and rather than have a fight you keep her on.

Now the kid is 17 and about to graduate high school and go to college, but rather than move on to another child, the nanny decides she will hold the kid hostage at gunpoint while telling you to sign a contract for her continue working indefinitely regardless of the need for her services.

The docks could have transitioned away from the need for these guys years ago, it's only the union and threat of crippling the economy that has prevented this.
LOL, non essential. LOLOLOLOLOL

Like my post above, why hasn't the Good Union been broken 20 years ago?

Heres a good hint, there is no easy replacement for them. Years of education to replace them.