Dockworkers strike

Clem72

I'm sure there's room for negotiation but USMX doesn't want to do that. I'm guessing they'd like it if all these dock workers went away so they could automate and tell the union to piss off. But again, they're putting people out of work so then what happens?

So you're 50 years old, you've been a dock worker all your life, looking forward to retirement....and now you're supposed to just learn a new trade? I'm looking at this from the perspective of the workers, not the union boss.
There's room for compromise. Wouldn't be the first time they just snapped a chalk line and said everyone with more than x years (10, 15, whatever) gets an early retirement or gets slowly phased out during the process of automating. Everyone else gets to look for a new job.

black dog

Free America
Sure there have, we no longer have huge typing pools of women, most if not all mid level managers and VP's no longer have Secretaries

lol, of course those woman went somewhere ... HR maybe

My mother came to Washington DC in the 1950's fresh out of high school ... the Federal Gov was actively recruiting in Small Town America back then

she spent some 30 yrs in the Gov. working up from a secretary to a management position by the time she retired in the late 90's ... but all those typing pools she had been a part of were gone.

Computers and laser printers changed all of that .....
My step mother did the same at the same time coming from Page, WV.
They went from manual typewriters to IBM Selectric typewriters. All of those in the pools went to being office secretary's either in the government or the private sector.
After 20 some years with the Federal Government as a secretary she took a job in Bethesda as a Legal Secretary for an attorney as to be closer to home.

I mean come on, it's not like those that went to work in the early and middle 1950's ended up being out of work in the government by computers. I believe it was Reagan in the 80's that brought word processors to the White House.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

It's even worse than you think.

The ILA has never served the interest of the workers. Never. I had direct knowledge of this 30 years ago when I had to deal with the ILA. Not sure if the system is the same, but I suspect it is. They use a backward system of picking labor every week. Each union header picks his gang. If a worker fails to do what his header asks (e.g. I need two of those dish washers on a that container). If the worker does not perform he is never picked by any header.

Union extorts its membership fees. Those at the top of each port earn half a million dollars a year. The workers not so much.

The ILA timed their strike for October. Why? October inflicts maximum pain because Christmas imports arrive in October. Further, the ILA rejected a 50% pay increase from the USMX. Their demands are a 70% increase and zero port automation. The cargo loads at all of our nation's ports has increased substantially in the past decade. Most modern ports are capable of discharging vessels. Our ports are antiquated and ships are frequently anchored off port waiting their turn.

Meanwhile the ILA boss drives a Bentley and lives in a mansion. Workers who are working during a strike lose their membership which means their livelihood. It is a form of labor monopoly.

And, while I have no basis to insert politics as this is just conjecture on my part, but the DNC wants chaos pre-election. It will come in many forms over next 60 days. Organized labor has been an appendage of the DNC turn out the vote efforts which introduces the possibility that there is some coordination. This seems more plausible considering that the strikes of this stature usually get averted by negotiation by NLRB, which has been AWOL. The administration could also invoke Taft-Hartley to allow a negotiated settlement aided by the federal government, but zero effort has been made to do so.

Finally, one more dimension to this which most do not realize. This weekend the largest IV Fluid manufacturing facility in the country was taken out of commission. Baxter's North Cove facility is likely closed for up to a year due to flooding and mud slides in western North Carolina. This was 60% of our nations sterile IV fluids. The mitigation strategy would be to bring supply in from Europe to east coast ports. Water is heavy and cannot be air freighted. But if ports are closed, hospitals will be screaming for IV fluids in about 30 days.

At this point, we are in a national supply chain crisis that imperils delivery of healthcare. Federal government should break the strike, impose Taft-Hartley and allow the adults in a Republican administration to fix the world.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I mean come on, it's not like those that went to work in the early and middle 1950's ended up being out of work in the government by computers. I believe it was Reagan in the 80's that brought word processors to the White House.

Well my point was at some point these jobs went away, yeah nobody was just fired or laid off ....

My step mother did the same at the same time coming from Page, WV.

:cheers:

Desk Set

🤣

GregV814

yeahbut.... Joe and the "toe" support him... and the guys on the dock...Joe vividly remembers working the NY docks when Al Capone flipped him a $5 bill in 1936...

Tech

So we're stuck between automated ports that China can shut down with a computer command or a mob boss that does the equivalent.🤔
Have they ever made a movie about corruption of the electrical union?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I'm trying to find out more about the United States Maritime Alliance and coming up empty. Their website can't be found and there's no Wiki entry for them. Hmmmmm.....

What are you looking for ?

About USMX​

The United States Maritime Alliance, Ltd. (USMX) represents employers of the East and Gulf Coast longshore industry. Membership consists of Container Carriers, including the largest carriers and carrier alliances worldwide, all major Marine Terminal Operators, and Port Associations representing each port on the East and Gulf Coasts. USMX’s members are responsible for the transportation and handling of cargo shipped to and from the United States. While serving as the representative of the Management groups in Master Contract bargaining, the Alliance also articulates industry positions on regulatory and safety issues; oversees coastwide training, retraining, certification, and recertification programs; and is responsible for administering coastwide fringe benefit funds and programs. The non-profit, incorporated membership association headquartered in Lyndhurst, New Jersey is led by Chairman and CEO, David F. Adam.

Since 1977, USMX and its predecessor organizations have successfully negotiated 10 contracts with the International Longshoremen’s Association, AFL-CIO (ILA) without any coastwide disruptions to service. On September 25, 2018, USMX and the ILA signed a new 6-year agreement covering 14,500 port workers on the East and Gulf Coasts. The new Master Contract commenced October 1, 2018 and will run through September 30, 2024.

Watch the 1st 10 min of the video I just posted, Sal talks about who makes up USMX

phreddyp

Bottom line is this, employers do not owe anyone a job other than ones they chose to owe a job. They pay what they need to pay to fill the position at their own discretion. If you really had any idea what the percentage of union employees that are basically worthless you would be appalled!

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Sec. Buttigieg on Port Strike: They Want Their Share of Record Profits Companies Are Making

"What you won't see the President do is reach for the Taft-Hartley Act because he believes the right outcome will come from the collective bargaining process.

"Over about a 10-year period, we've seen the ocean carriers, who really control the business side, so to speak, of this negotiation, see their profitability go up by about 350%. Over that same period, we've also seen the wages go up by about 15%, so the workers are seeking to participate in that."

A JPMorgan analysis projected that the strike could cost the U.S. economy $5 billion a day.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We were told that in JH school 50+ years ago that computers would be replacing all of the workers. I'm still waiting for that to happen.
Computers ended up putting more people to work with the new career fields it added along with very few workers being replaced by them.

I'm not sure if that's true because we have more poor and underemployed in this country than we've ever had (not counting, say, the Great Depression). That's just a sense, I don't have hard data to back it up. In other words, I'm talking out my ass. But I think it to be true unless someone wants to run the numbers and show me that I'm wrong. I'm willing to concede that I'm influenced by news reports and everything is peachy.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Is there any good reason or advantage to having the least efficient ports on the planet?

Sure, for the same reason you'd pay a little extra to buy local or American made products - it keeps your neighbors in business.

I already said that automation is always going to be cheaper because people are funny about wanting to eat and have a home. But there's a human cost to that and I just feel like with all the money we spend on illegal aliens and foreign countries, that money could be put to better use to benefit Americans.

SamSpade

You know, every time a new bit of technology comes along - like the old comparison of makers of buggy whips - SOME jobs will be made obsolete.
That's life. We've seen it - how many of you STILL have a typewriter around? Maybe a few. Still have VHS tapes? That's just - life.

EXCEPT THAT - being behind the times regarding automation at ports COSTS the nation overall because this is an international competition - and we are pulling last. When it comes to the world's busiest container ports - we have a handful in the top 25. When it's by tonnage, we don't make the list at all.

When it comes to efficiiency - us, and Canada rank last. Ours have the least automation. Sorry. It needs to be done. Phased in, but sorry - the jobs these guys hold is fading away.

somdwatch

LOL, non essential. LOLOLOLOLOL

Like my post above, why hasn't the Good Union been broken 20 years ago?

Heres a good hint, there is no easy replacement for them. Years of education to replace them.
Having been a scab back in 79 in PA, it took a bunch of High School kids one week to out produce the union people making small electric motors and armatures. After that week, the union settled.

I made great $ when they needed a welder as I was the only scab with welding experience!

SamSpade

Computers ended up putting more people to work with the new career fields it added along with very few workers being replaced by them.

All of the shows in the 60's, especially sitcoms, were all over this - you would be replaced by a machine - except the machines were idiots and sometimes malevolent.

The REASON why they created more jobs is - more STUFF was able to be DONE by them.

I remember when they used to report the DOW nightly on the news - and the volume of trading. They don't report on that much, but suffice it to say, it has grown by several orders of magnitude. Whole industries have completely transformed, because of automation and integration of computers. It's not just easier for people - they can do more and serve more people.

stgislander

PREMO Member

Sec. Buttigieg on Port Strike: They Want Their Share of Record Profits Companies Are Making

"What you won't see the President do is reach for the Taft-Hartley Act because he believes the right outcome will come from the collective bargaining process.

"Over about a 10-year period, we've seen the ocean carriers, who really control the business side, so to speak, of this negotiation, see their profitability go up by about 350%. Over that same period, we've also seen the wages go up by about 15%, so the workers are seeking to participate in that."

A JPMorgan analysis projected that the strike could cost the U.S. economy $5 billion a day.

Shame they didn't do that with the railroad workers two years ago.