DOJ Suing GA over Election Laws

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What it boils down to is that Democrats think black people are so stupid and lazy and illiterate they have to dumb down voting for them. THAT is exactly what they're saying, and exactly what bots like HGwhatevertheeff are parroting.

So again, who is the racist here?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
What it boils down to is that Democrats think black people are so stupid and lazy and illiterate they have to dumb down voting for them. THAT is exactly what they're saying, and exactly what bots like HGwhatevertheeff are parroting.

They act as though it's still the1850's and stuck out on some prairie without a mule to get them to town.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Want to Guess Who Just Gave Voter ID a Pretty Big Endorsement?

It's a top issue for Democrats to weaponize against the GOP even though voter ID enjoys massive support across political, ethnic, racial and even geographic lines. It's the proverbial beating of the dead horse on this one, but voter ID just got a big endorsement from Barack Obama, who had some nice things to say about Sen. Joe Manchin's (D-WV) attempt at a compromise regarding voting rights recently. His proposal included a voter ID provision (via WaPo) [emphasis mine]:

Prominent Democrats have increasingly softened their opposition to voter identification requirements in recent days, signaling a new openness to measures that activists have long vilified as an insidious method of keeping minorities from the ballot box.
Former Georgia gubernatorial candidate and voting rights advocate Stacey Abrams threw her support last week behind a voting rights compromise proposal by Sen. Joe Manchin III (D-W.Va.) that includes voter identification requirements. On Monday, former president Barack Obama said Manchin’s compromise, including the voter ID requirement, didn’t offer anything “particularly controversial.”
The White House also signaled support for Manchin’s package as “a step forward.” Sen. Raphael G. Warnock (D-Ga.), meanwhile, told The Washington Post recently he could support some form of voter ID, saying, “I don’t know anybody who believes that people shouldn’t have to prove that they are who they say they are.”
The Democratic shifts are in part a strategic effort to win broader support for their voting rights push while seeking to put Republicans on the defensive. Voter ID laws have proved popular despite Democratic arguments that they amount to voter suppression, and some activists have concluded that they do less to suppress the vote than they initially feared.
Well, that's it. Obama is now a white supremacist.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
‘WTFudge??’ Margot Cleveland shares parts of the Biden DOJ’s election law complaint against Georgia in a ‘surreal’ thread

:jameo:

NO Blacks Voted for the Bill

HGMilstead

There’s a lot of chatter here that reads to me as confused or jumping the gun re “voter suppression / election integrity” and charges of “racism.”

I think the claims (that many here find utterly preposterous) are pretty simple to explain and keep basic:

Every political party will do what they can to win elections.

If political party X believes that a particular group of people — call them group A — will not vote for them (or not vote enough for them), then you can be damn sure you’ll find party X recommends policies that end up making it harder for group A to vote.

Opposing political party Y could then leap to the claim “you’re discriminating against group A!” and they’d likely be happy to exaggerate this or overstate it in the interest of making their opponent look bad, maybe adding in “you must really hate group A!”

(this seems to describe the situation most of you smartie pants are obsessed with, where X = republicans, Y = dems and A = black or minority voters. But it also can describe other situationsX =Dems, A = military personnel and Y = republicans. )

the simple truth is that republicans don’t actually give a sh*t about “election integrity” or “voter fraud,” they just want policies that help them win elections. The exact same is true of Democrats; they don’t actually care about widespread civic engagement, as they claim; they simply want more voter turnout because research indicates it helps them.

And as distasteful as this can be, it’s also 100% rational.

Evidently, a general rule of thumb or piece of conventional political wisdom is that larger voter turnout favors dems and restricted turn out favors repubs (though this is NOT a hard and fast rule). You can be damned sure that if the rule of thumb had this flipped then each party would be making the others’ arguments.

(side note: and I am not saying smaller or restricted turn out is inherently bad; one can make an excellent defense of this position, noting that really only those actually knowledgeable about and concerned with issues should vote. Achieving this would require lowering voter turn out.)

So do I think voter ID laws are racist? Well, not explicitly. But they are pursued by repubs because these laws could help the secure elections, and repubs simply don’t care if that does or does not disproportionately impact black people or other minority voters. The poorest among us are disproportionately not white, and it’s those folks who are more likely to be kept from voting because of voter ID laws. The republicans know this and support it because, again quite simply, it helps them.

Dems are just as sh*tty / rational on this point, too.

the history of voter suppression in our country is fascinating and implicates ALL parties. Here is a pre-2016 piece on this How Dems Suppress Votes

I suppose my “point” here is to effing relax on the extreme-sounding reactions to these claims of racism or, better yet, stop repeating the political talking point that repubs care about anything other than winning (and again same for Dems on their BS “we want more people to vote cuz it’s good for the country!”)

so a bunch of people claim your voting policies are racist? So what? They kind of are and they kind of aren’t. Deal with the baggage like grown ups.

ETA : I think I fixed that link so that it points to an actual article.

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Clyburn Joins Ranks of Democrat Flip-Floppers on Voter ID

South Carolina Congressman Jim Clyburn joins a growing chorus of Democrats who say they support voter ID after previously claiming that it was “suppression.”

In a weekend interview on CNN, Clyburn flat-out lied that he has “always” supported voter ID.

The issue forcing Clyburn’s hand is H.R. 1, a House bill that would subvert constitutional guarantees recognizing the states’ power to run their own elections.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
One day, hopefully soon, Democrats will be regarded and treated as the Crowns Loyalists were and expel them to Canada.

SamSpade

I can think of few things MORE condescending and racist than the continual intervention of white liberal "saviors" who have decided it's up to them to fight for the oppressed POC's in this country - as if they had any idea of what they believe and are capable of without their divine intercession.

Seriously - how would YOU feel if someone made it their aim to "fight for you" even while having no idea what your needs or abilities are?
Wouldn't you want to tell them, thanks but go f*** off?

SamSpade

I'd like to mention something I've said, many, many times before.

An illegally cast vote disenfranchises YOU.

Choosing NOT to make it "easier to vote" does not "take away" your vote. This is the same kind of thinking where a lower INCREASE in spending is deemed a "cut" e.g. we spent 100 million, we WANT to spend 150 million, but our opponents say, nah, 125 million is good enough. THEY'RE SLASHING SPENDING BY 50%!

I don't know of measures that make voting HARDER. I do know of several that make voting more secure by NOT EXPANDING ways to vote.
This is not CURTAILING vote - like the above example, this is choosing not to EXPAND the ways we vote.
If for example, you were not able to register and vote the same day, blocking legislation permitting it does not change the way you have always voted.

When you introduce more and more means of voting - you WILL introduce more error and certainly more chance of fraud.

A single fraudulent vote takes away YOUR vote - the only reason Dems don't get this, is that massive cheating has favored their side - if several RIGHT-leaning groups declared - "we're going to cheat like hell and SEE if you can catch us" - you're damned skippy they'd want more secure votes.

Hijinx

Can you really blame the Democrats?
They had to dumb down requirement to pass tests to get them into jobs
They dumbed down promotional exams to get them promoted,
They have to dumb down High School to get them a diploma.

After all this dumbing down can you really blame democrats for believing they are too dumb to get a ID card?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Can you really blame the Democrats?
They had to dumb down requirement to pass tests to get them into jobs
They dumbed down promotional exams to get them promoted,
They have to dumb down High School to get them a diploma.

After all this dumbing down can you really blame democrats for believing they are too dumb to get a ID card?

None of this is true. It's just you being a bigot again. I don't even know why you say the chit you say.

herb749

Clyburn Joins Ranks of Democrat Flip-Floppers on Voter ID

South Carolina Congressman Jim Clyburn joins a growing chorus of Democrats who say they support voter ID after previously claiming that it was “suppression.”

In a weekend interview on CNN, Clyburn flat-out lied that he has “always” supported voter ID.

The issue forcing Clyburn’s hand is H.R. 1, a House bill that would subvert constitutional guarantees recognizing the states’ power to run their own elections.

They are pandering to Manchin to get his vote. Then will change it back once he votes.

Louise

What a freaking mess WE are in. It’s all Trump’s fault. It is because he disturbed our Gov swamp creatures, and they are f(l)ailing, to the point of outrageousness. It is in our face. Like his persona, or not, Trump bought us some time to try fix the freaking mess. Could the Commies make it more obvious at what they are trying to do? No. God bless the USA.

Hijinx

Yeah it's just me everyone knows they have never lowered standards for entrance exams and promotional exams, and all of the kids graduating from High School meet community standards.

Yeah right, It's just me. I am the bigot.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
‘We Find that [Voter ID] Laws Have No Negative Effect on Registration or Turnout.’

But the question remains why some of the Democrats who had most staunchly demonized voter ID were willing to make such a sudden and dramatic about-face.

Perhaps the evidence was mounting that Democrats were expending energy and political capital to prevent measures that created no measurable disadvantage to their party or candidates. On May 22, the Quarterly Journal of Economics unveiled the results of an extensive study:

U.S. states increasingly require identification to vote—an ostensible attempt to deter fraud that prompts complaints of selective disenfranchisement. Using a difference-in-differences design on a panel data set with 1.6 billion observations, 2008–2018, we find that the laws have no negative effect on registration or turnout, overall or for any group defined by race, gender, age, or party affiliation… Overall, our findings suggest that efforts to improve elections may be better directed at other reforms.

This deep dive into the data suggested that Democrats were taking an unpopular stand for no real benefit. In that situation… why wouldn’t Democrats try to use voter ID as a bargaining chip to win other policy concessions?

Grumpy

What happens if all these voter ID laws go into effect and people ignore them. Then, when they are turned away at the polls, they sue. Will the courts/higher courts/supreme court have the balls to say tough chit, ignorance of the law is no excuse? I find it very doubtful.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yeah it's just me everyone knows they have never lowered standards for entrance exams and promotional exams, and all of the kids graduating from High School meet community standards.

Yeah right, It's just me. I am the bigot.

....like reducing access to STEM programs, or eliminating them altogether. Because they are obviously "raycis" since black kids are under-represented in the classes and Asian kids are "over-represented".

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Progressives have been dumbing down the education system for DECADES ... it's racists to force minorities to learn