Don Imus

What should happen to Don Imus because of the comment he made?

• NOTHING! Freedom of speech. They use worse language in rap songs about themselves

Votes: 64 57.1%
  • He made a mistake and I think an apology was good enough

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • He should be suspended without pay for a short period of time

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • He should be FIRED!

Votes: 13 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Qurious

Im On 1.
itsbob said:
Where are AL and Jesse EVERYTIME Farrakhan speaks??

This is once again proving that white people paint black people with the same brush.

Jesse & Al's ideals are totally seperate from Farrakhan....if you kept up with their speeches, you could tell they aren't on the same page as Farrakhan. But because they are "black" they are grouped together as having the same mindset and the same goals...

WRONG.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Qurious said:
This is once again proving that white people paint black people with the same brush.

Jesse & Al's ideals are totally seperate from Farrakhan....if you kept up with their speeches, you could tell they aren't on the same page as Farrakhan.

In Bob's defense, Farrakhan has made bigoted remarks over the years, mostly about Jews. I think it's fair to suggest that Jackson and Sharpton criticize both Farrakhan and Imus.

donbarzini

Qurious said:

Jesse & Al's ideals are totally seperate from Farrakhan....if you kept up with their speeches, you could tell they aren't on the same page as Farrakhan. But because they are "black" they are grouped together as having the same mindset and the same goals...

WRONG.

If you kept up with the point you would understand that it was about Jesse & Al not taking Farrakhan to task for saying the same type of things about the "white devils" that Imus and every other moron have said about the blacks.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
itsbob said:
He screwed up when he apologized
No, the apology was correct. Imus was out of line and being a jerk.

The problem was when he kept on and on and on.... If I were his publicist, I'd have ripped his voice box out to make him shut up so this could blow over. But the longer he kept it going, the more advertisers dropped his show. And without advertiser$, there is no show. So bye bye, Imus. And good riddance.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Tonio said:
In Bob's defense, Farrakhan has made bigoted remarks over the years, mostly about Jews. I think it's fair to suggest that Jackson and Sharpton criticize both Farrakhan and Imus.
:yeahthat:

Hate is hate..

Don't be exclusive as to what type of person you call out for being a "hater", that in itself would be racist, wouldn't it?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
No, the apology was correct. Imus was out of line and being a jerk.

The problem was when he kept on and on and on.... If I were his publicist, I'd have ripped his voice box out to make him shut up so this could blow over. But the longer he kept it going, the more advertisers dropped his show. And without advertiser$, there is no show. So bye bye, Imus. And good riddance.
The apology may have been correct, but it was certainly the wrong venue to put it out on. Once Sharpton or Jackson smell fear they're not going to back off until they collect their cut.

bcp

In My Opinion
This all could have been forgiven if he would have just got them all a free trip to the hair cuttery for a make over, and a chastity belt.

Dork

Highlander's MPD
I really do believe that Al and Jesse are racists troublemaking azzholes who are a big part of the problem with race relations, not part of the solution. Everytime I see them making fools of themselves, it makes me cringe. There are only a few black people I can't stand. I bet you can guess two of them.

AndyMarquisLIVE

Qurious said:

WRONG.
:lmao:

You're an idiot.

Cletus_Vandam

vraiblonde said:
I think it's okay to make fun of races no matter what color you are, if it's dead-on and genuinely funny. And if it plays to a stereotype, that can be funny as well, and even the race/gender/ethnicity that's the target can get a laugh.

Imus' comment wasn't funny - he was just being an ignorant jerk.

Ann Coulter's column makes the point that these girls are just college kids and not public figures, and shouldn't be subject to that sort of rudeness from a nationally known talk-show host. And that's part of it, but the other part is that they did nothing to deserve being disparaged and called whores by Don Imus. If they were multi-million dollar pro athletes, okay maybe. But they're just college kids.

Paris and Britney are hos. ANS was a ho. The Rutgers women's basketball team aren't hos.

I usually find myself agreeing with a lot of what you post, but can't agree with you here....

When it comes to racial humor, there is a huge difference in today's society as far as what is accepted as funny versus what is considered racist.

Lets look at this scenario with with a few people everyone should know fairly well. Forget what you presently know about these two people and play along.... Larry the Cable Guy walks on stage and does the entire act of Chris Rock.... Larry's obit would be tomorrow's front page news. Yet Chris Rock is heralded as comic genius. Don't get me wrong they are both funny as he!!, but there is a huge double standard.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Something interesting, that I've read on Slate - was that Imus hired one of his stage cronies to tell racist jokes - his name is Bernard McGuirk.

I believe it was in the fall of last year, when I caught a segment of "Imus In The Morning", where McGuirk did an imitation of New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin, using an ignorant, stereotypical black accent.

I thought it was kind of tasteless(even though Mayor Nagin had made some rather dumb remarks, concerning Federal assistance during and after Hurricane Katrina), but it didn't warrant what Imus's show portrayed.

The guys on the set, including Imus, were going teehee-smirk, over McGuirk's rendition.

http://www.slate.com/id/2164055/
The pretense of spontaneity brought on by having sportscasters like Sid Rosenberg (kicked off the show for saying of Kylie Minogue's cancer diagnosis, "Ain't going to be so beautiful when the ##### got a bald head and one titty") or executive producer Bernard McGuirk (hired by Imus to do "######" jokes) banter in the background was just that, a pretense. When Imus went upscale, he knew he himself could no longer be the principal vehicle for his old brand of taboo-breaking humor, much of it centered on sexism and racism and homophobia, and still court the center-left audience attracted to a 10-minute gabfest with Doris Kearns Goodwin. Imus was the classic '80s brand, shrewdly repositioned for the more genteel '90s. He triangulated. He brought on juvenile white males to say things he could then pretend to deplore.

Last edited: