Double Standards (women equality)....

Steve

Enjoying life!
ylexot said:
Ok, I can see both sides regarding women in the military. What about ordies? They are non-combat and have to lift heavy bombs. Do women have the same strength requirements as men to be an ordie? Are there any strength requirements? There are other physically demanding non-combat roles that women fill. They are not all "push-a-button" positions.

This is inane. If a woman can't lift a bomb because she is not strong enough, I would assign her elsewhere. If the job she enlisted for required her to be able to lift that bomb, and she couldn't, she would wash out of technical school and be reassigned long before she ever saw a theater of operations.

CMC122

Go Braves!
sleuth said:
I was always tee-d off in school because the girls could run a 10 minute mile and get an A, but the boys had to run a 7.5 minute mile to get an A. Same thing with push-ups and sit-ups. Boys were always screwed on those. So even though I could run faster, do more pushups, and more situps than the most physically fit girl in the class (and I never was close to "most physically fit" boy), she'd get an A and I get a C+ in P.E.

As for abortion... I agree that the father should have more say. It's a tough call though. Pregancy does reak havoc on a woman's body.
CMC122 Quote:

Men and women are designed differently no matter how physically fit unless you're She Ra.

They don't do push ups different for women because they are weaker. They do them different because of muscle and body design.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Steve said:
What about salary differences? Men are almost always paid more than women.

I doubt I could find it, but when I was in college, I read a study that said one of the reasons men get paid more than women is because men are "generally" more aggressive at demanding raises, looking for higher-paying jobs, and threatening to 'walk' if they didn't get those raises or promotions. The study also showed that women, in general, tend to take a more passive stance, complain to coworkers rather than their boss, and worry too much about making waves in the workplace to ask for that raise. They also tend to get settled in their routine jobs and don't actively search for better-paying positions as often as men do.

Don't know how much of that study is true... :shrug:

Spoiled

Wait, so since women pushups are easier for them to do them because of the way their bodies are they can do them... THEY ARE EASIER FOR ME TO DO TOO!!!

ylexot

Super Genius
Steve said:
This is inane. If a woman can't lift a bomb because she is not strong enough, I would assign her elsewhere. If the job she enlisted for required her to be able to lift that bomb, and she couldn't, she would wash out of technical school and be reassigned long before she ever saw a theater of operations.
I was asking a question, not making a statement. If you can't answer, don't.

I'll ask again (more generally). Are there physical requirements for specific positions that are physical in nature? Are those requirements gender specific?

T.Rally

Steve said:
Are you really that uninformed? In a combat zone, where there is a chance that combat actions might be needed, all soldiers are issued firearms. That is for protection primarily. My military position had nothing to do with combat, yet I had to qualify on the M-16 before deployment, and I would have been issued on to use if my base came under fire.

A combat position is one wherein your sole purpose in life is to combat the enemy, shoot bullets, fire rockets, drop bombs. Lynch was not in a combat position. We need to dissolve this line of converation that links strength and combat positions anyway. Its a moot point.

My point is that in a combat zone, even supply clerks become combatants. In that zone, you can't tell me you wouldn't rather have a man who could carry your butt out if you got wounded than a chick who can do 18 pushups.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
CMC122 said:
CMC122 Quote:

Men and women are designed differently no matter how physically fit unless you're She Ra.

They don't do push ups different for women because they are weaker. They do them different because of muscle and body design.
I wasn't complaining about the "type" of pushups they have to do, but the numbers. :confused: Although... Spoiled makes a good point. Girl push-ups are easier for me to do too... :lol:

CMC122

Go Braves!
Spoiled said:
Wait, so since women pushups are easier for them to do them because of the way their bodies are they can do them... THEY ARE EASIER FOR ME TO DO TOO!!!
Yeah, and you don't have to worry about damaging things such as your uterus. :jet:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
CMC122 said:
Yeah, and you don't have to worry about damaging things such as your uterus. :jet:
You mean that sack of testicles retracts itself in the man push-up position? :confused:

Warron

Something interesting I read about the male/female car insurance issue. According to the article I read (wish I had a link but it was a few days ago), female car accident rates are increasing at a very high rate, such that in less then a decade they will be equal to that of males.

The article implies that this is due to the increasing independence of women and that they now do almost as much driving as men. The acticle talked about how traditionally, men have been the drivers and women passengers, but as that tradition fades away and women drive as much as men, they are having just as many accidents.

The article as suggested that women can expect their insurance rates to increase as a result.

Lost Soul

Car insurance companies base thier prices on whatever makes them the most money. I am sure that if they decided to make the cost equal for both sexes they would raise the womens rates to the same as mens rather then lowering or taking an average rate for both.

CMC122

Go Braves!
What aren't you guys getting? 18 push ups for a girl is equivelant to 35 push ups for a man.........ACCORDING TO THEIR BODY DESIGN'S.

(those numbers were just pulled out of my arse to just make my point. I have no idea what it really is)

I can't say I'm shocked by the mentality of some of ya'll. Having done a "man's" job for many years I've seen this stupid shiat many time's. Either you can do your job or you can't. Goes for both men and women.

I was respected because I did my job and did it damn well. Other women were known for being unable to do their job and IMO shouldn't have had the job. As well as many men.

CMC122 said:
I can't say I'm shocked by the mentality of some of ya'll. Having done a "man's" job for many years I've seen this stupid shiat many time's. Either you can do your job or you can't. Goes for both men and women.
Here.... this should explode a few heads this morning...:lmao:

Civil service: Once dominated by men, occupations like firefighter and police officer are viable options for women today. In the U.S., more than 8,500 women currently work as full-time, career firefighters and officers, and there are an estimated 78,000 female police officers.

Military: This area is becoming more woman-friendly. The U.S. government employs tens of thousands of women in previously male-dominated positions in all branches of the military.

Construction: From driving nails to inspecting construction sites, women are donning tool belts and landing positions in all facets of the construction industry. There's even a Web site for women seeking to explore careers in the construction industry, developed by the National Association of Women in Construction.

Engineering: Where once only men held positions designing and manufacturing just about everything we use today, women are now seeking the challenges and rewards of a career in engineering.

According to the U.S. Department of Labor, one of the most popular areas of engineering chosen by women is electrical and electronic engineering, followed by industrial and mechanical engineering.

Science fields: Statistics show that between 10 and 20 percent of women in science-related fields are becoming physicists and astronomers, atmospheric and space scientists, agricultural and food scientists, and forestry and conservation scientists.

Automobile and aircraft repair: Today, less than 10 percent of these positions are held by women. Requiring only a trade school certification, occupations in these fields typically pay well and have duties that -- despite what women might think -- are unrelated to gender.

Law and medical: There is a dramatic shift in these industries. Today, women account for nearly half of all law and medical school enrollments.

Spoiled

CMC122 said:
Either you can do your job or you can't. Goes for both men and women.

I was respected because I did my job and did it damn well. Other women were known for being unable to do their job and IMO shouldn't have had the job.
Good for you, You are truely an equal... I dont think the bar should be lowered so people can call themselves equal. You either can or cant do the job, and in the military the job is doing pushups and running while you are in boot camp...

ylexot

Super Genius
Spoiled said:
Good for you, You are truely an equal... I dont think the bar should be lowered so people can call themselves equal. You either can or cant do the job
So what are your feelings on affirmative action? :wink: